Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 's**t posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

I think many posters here will calm down when the reality sets in that we actually did beat a quality opponent.

Tonight is a symptom of expectations. At the start of the game most were hopeful we could win, the we score the first 6 goals, peoples expectations go up that we should win comfortably, anything less than that is now failure.

Then we are sorta holding on in the last and looking like a 20 or so point win likely, which is kinda ok, but not as good as what many expected when we were 6 goals up. Then they get right back into it and people who had these expectations of a comfortable win are now seeing this 1 point win as dramatically under par, when prior to the game everyone would of been delighted with a one point win in isolation.

Reverse that game and we concede first 6 goals and win by a point and people here would be pumped declaring it a win for the ages.

I guess we are just doing their best not to get too high or too low based on win/loss. I try and try to do that... but I was bloody overjoyed when the siren went! I thought I had watched our most consistent performance of the year (even with the final 20 minutes taken into account), featuring sustained pressure on the ball-carrier, and really clean assured play in our D50. I thought our back seven were terrific again (having held up pretty well under midfield duress last week, in the face of 61 inside-50s).

Cincotta - superb. Across four quarters, I thought he was our best, bar none. That run-down tackle on Pickett was sensational, and just one of so many high-quality pressure acts. Good with ball in hand too.

Ollie Hollands, take a bow son, I ******* loved it. Sure he tired as the game went on, but he tore that wing apart in Q1 when we were setting up the game. Melbourne sent Langdon to him at quarter-time - that is respect. Well played young man.

Martin and McGovern, both notoriously poor starters after injury, but I was pleased with both. No real surprise to see Petracca expose M<cGovern defensively. I thought his worst play was the kick-out down the middle halfway through Q4 when we were still leading by 3 goals+. Melbourne needed a corridor turnover to get themselves back into the game - and he served one up. Martin once again, quite an influential role with exceptionally low stats - he makes this a bit of an art form. I love his sense of how to set up a goal - when he roved that pack, rolled around on the left, and just chipped it out into space in Curnow's general direction, lovely. Didn't try to pass it, knew Curnow didn't need to mark it, just needed to keep the ball clear of the pack and let Curnow get to work one-on-one. Goal.

I am going to have a great weekend. I hope you people do too.

So we've played 3 games in 13 days against the last 3 premiership sides. We kicked ourselves out of it against the pussies, lost by a kick against last year's premiers, and had a win tonight against a full strength Demons outfit.

Being at the ground, you could see that the players were almost out on their feet during that last quarter. It kind of felt like we had to throw our biggest punches early in the game, cos we knew that when fatigue set in, the opposition would be throwing them back late in the fight....and you just have to hang on for dear life after getting the points in the early rounds.

I thought it was a gutsy win in a game I thought we couldn't win. And even better, it's on a Thursday nite, so can now relax on the weekend with the 4 points under the belt.

Also, it was my b'day, so I'm rapt the boys had a win for me to celebrate :thumbsu: :cool::beercheers:

Your shout for the pizza next week!

Michael Richards Eating GIF

Still starving!

With pineapple.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shout out to Owies. 11 disposals, 100% efficiency... 3 goals.

14 goals for the season... more than Kosi, Charlie Cameron, Papley, Bobby Hill and Toby Greene to name a few.

For a limited footballer, he is doing quite well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie Hollands takes an eternity to dispose of the ball, worked really hard but his frees against and lack of tackling and pressure were costly.
Did a lot right but was impressed with his one armed tackling efforts. When you are that light on, surely you have to Bodyline every tackle attempt.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Edit: was NOT impressed*

Last edited:
Well I for one will be going to sleep cozy and happy we have the 4 points this weekend and for a large portion of the match we torched a premiership contender who beat Geelong the week prior.

Sure we have issues and circumstances, like injuries, to overcome. But this ain't a video game, there were 2 sides of 22 blokes out there in less than ideal conditions bashing and crashing each other for a couple hours.

The caper ain't easy, and our blokes got us the win.

I find your take on Cripps and Walsh gobsmacking. Both poured themselves into their roles as always , imperfectly but to call it arrogance is just daft.

Cripps job is obviously to hold onto the ball in congestion - it’s a tactic, arms up or brought to ground and hand it off - in the heat of battle, especially against the Dees mids, it’s not going to be clean every time.

Williams is injured - any other golden outside runners we could have brought in?

Wether we picked the best team or not, calling this team arrogant is simply wrong.

If anybody know their imperfections it’s this team.
Walsh does call for the ball when he's about to be tackled. I think sometimes he'd be better off laying a shepherd and let his teammate have a clear run.

Great win. Back to back short breaks. Had our foot on their throat nearly got to 7 goals up.

We lost a lot when Cerra went off. His ground ball get game was on fire.

Conditions didn’t suit our competitive advantage yet we won. Demons threw caution to the wind last 3 minutes after that fluke goal. So what.

We will beat them again.

Great win. Back to back short breaks. Had our foot on their throat nearly got to 7 goals up.

We lost a lot when Cerra went off. His ground ball get game was on fire.

Conditions didn’t suit our competitive advantage yet we won. Demons threw caution to the wind last 3 minutes after that fluke goal. So what.

We will beat them again.

We have paid them back plenty after their close win v us end of 2022.

3 wins of less than a goal since, hopefully they are getting a complex about us.

It's like when we played Geelong, I think that the average number of games played for their team was 152 and ours was something like 84.

We lacked composure in that game when it counted, they had it in spades. We are the newcomers compared to most of the other teams fighting for a place in the 4. Experience means a lot.

People complain about our fixture being tough but I actually love it as we get to measure ourselves against the best and see what we need to do to improve.

We have every right to celebrate any victory against one of those type of teams.
Gotta beat the best to be the best. We have a way to go but we aren't going to get any better playing with ourselves.

Is Newman going to be in trouble for that elbow? Hope not, but I think they'll give him a week.

Depending on if it’s deemed low or medium impact it’s either a fine or a 1 match ban. Since Neal-Bullen was able to get straight back to his feet and play out the game I’d say it should be graded low.. but who knows.

Conduct: Careless
Impact: Low
Outcome: Fine

Or

Conduct: Careless
Impact: Medium
Outcome: 1 Match Ban

Back