Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 's**t posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

General thoughts:
  • Weitering absolute star, best on for us tonight.
  • Cripps and Walsh not far behind. It’s a shame Walsh missed that goal that would have iced the game.
  • Loved O. Hollands finding more of the ball tonight but he desperately needs to improve his peripheral/situational awareness. Twice tonight he was run down from behind and it’s happened in multiple games this year. Can’t fault his endeavour and hard work.
  • Martin instantly gave us a more dangerous mix up forward. Can see why we’re targeting Hayward as a decent third tall is crucial for our setup.
  • McGovern greatly helped our team balance too. Apart from a couple of early one-on-one losses to Petracca, he was solid most of the night. Not sure why he took a kick out in the last with the game on the line and when up the middle, that was baffling. Play the percentages. Play boundary side late. Would prefer Boyd taking the kick outs.
  • Cincotta goes about it the right way. Great game from him. He curbed Pickett all night.
  • Cerra is starting to become a concern. Will he be the next injury prone guy? Seems to pick up minor hamstrings in clusters. Think he needs to be given a longer lay-off this time and a more conservative approach to get him 100% as he’s integral. Played a great first half.
  • We need to work on our composure late in games. Just so many mistakes almost handing the Dees a win they shouldn’t have ever had the chance to steal.
  • Curnow still plays his opponent from behind hoping to get the over the back goal. This is ok when Harry is contesting the pack as well but when he’s one-on-one, take front spot and either mark, draw the free kick, or bring it to ground. Stop standing behind and conceding the easy mark.
  • Have to learn to put teams away when we have control of a game and stop making such hard work of it. Next evolution for this team hopefully.
  • We needed that win so badly to keep our top 4 aspirations alive and it feels fantastic to be able to sit back and enjoy the rest of the weeks games.
  • Will enjoy watching the replay.

Jekyll and Hyde team

Got overrun by a team with 48hrs less rest.

So good for 2.5 qtrs. So good.

The poor for a qtr.

Then deplorable for last 15 mins.

Bizarre.

Bank the win but some serious problems to solve to become a premiership threat.

We were only deplorable the last 4.5 mins... got a bit unlucky during that too

I guess we are just doing their best not to get too high or too low based on win/loss. I try and try to do that... but I was bloody overjoyed when the siren went! I thought I had watched our most consistent performance of the year (even with the final 20 minutes taken into account), featuring sustained pressure on the ball-carrier, and really clean assured play in our D50. I thought our back seven were terrific again (having held up pretty well under midfield duress last week, in the face of 61 inside-50s).

Cincotta - superb. Across four quarters, I thought he was our best, bar none. That run-down tackle on Pickett was sensational, and just one of so many high-quality pressure acts. Good with ball in hand too.

Ollie Hollands, take a bow son, I ******* loved it. Sure he tired as the game went on, but he tore that wing apart in Q1 when we were setting up the game. Melbourne sent Langdon to him at quarter-time - that is respect. Well played young man.

Martin and McGovern, both notoriously poor starters after injury, but I was pleased with both. No real surprise to see Petracca expose M<cGovern defensively. I thought his worst play was the kick-out down the middle halfway through Q4 when we were still leading by 3 goals+. Melbourne needed a corridor turnover to get themselves back into the game - and he served one up. Martin once again, quite an influential role with exceptionally low stats - he makes this a bit of an art form. I love his sense of how to set up a goal - when he roved that pack, rolled around on the left, and just chipped it out into space in Curnow's general direction, lovely. Didn't try to pass it, knew Curnow didn't need to mark it, just needed to keep the ball clear of the pack and let Curnow get to work one-on-one. Goal.

I am going to have a great weekend. I hope you people do too.

The whole coaching group need to have a really hard look at themselves.

They have over thought this game modes training stuff. We played for a quarter and a half trying to waste time.

It is the reason we always win by only a goal (Or lose by a goal). If we're 3+ goals up in the last quarter the directive is to slow the game down and waste time which is just so dangerous and has cost us the Adelaide game already.

We're lucky it hasn't cost us quite a few more including the final against Sydney. We should be coaching our players to be desperate right to the end. If we can "manage" the last 3 minutes of a game great but what we're doing is crazy.

BTW I know it was a Thursday night and it was rainy but I thought the crowd was well down.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thursday night footy can go hang imho. I’ll never concede it’s a good thing except on a public hol when there’s stuff all else on.

Last edited:
General thoughts:
  • Weitering absolute star, best on for us tonight.
  • Cripps and Walsh not far behind. It’s a shame Walsh missed that goal that would have iced the game.
  • Loved O. Hollands finding more of the ball tonight but he desperately needs to improve his peripheral/situational awareness. Twice tonight he was run down from behind and it’s happened in multiple games this year. Can’t fault his endeavour and hard work.
  • Martin instantly gave us a more dangerous mix up forward. Can see why we’re targeting Hayward as a decent third tall is crucial for our setup.
  • McGovern greatly helped our team balance too. Apart from a couple of early one-on-one losses to Petracca, he was solid most of the night. Not sure why he took a kick out in the last with the game on the line and when up the middle, that was baffling. Play the percentages. Play boundary side late. Would prefer Boyd taking the kick outs.
  • Cincotta goes about it the right way. Great game from him. He curbed Pickett all night.
  • Cerra is starting to become a concern. Will he be the next injury prone guy? Seems to pick up minor hamstrings in clusters. Think he needs to be given a longer lay-off this time and a more conservative approach to get him 100% as he’s integral. Played a great first half.
  • We need to work on our composure late in games. Just so many mistakes almost handing the Dees a win they shouldn’t have ever had the chance to steal.
  • Curnow still plays his opponent from behind hoping to get the over the back goal. This is ok when Harry is contesting the pack as well but when he’s one-on-one, take front spot and either mark, draw the free kick, or bring it to ground. Stop standing behind and conceding the easy mark.
  • Have to learn to put teams away when we have control of a game and stop making such hard work of it. Next evolution for this team hopefully.
  • We needed that win so badly to keep our top 4 aspirations alive and it feels fantastic to be able to sit back and enjoy the rest of the weeks games.
  • Will enjoy watching the replay.

Gov is just so important. Having him out of the team and Young in his place gave us a good feel for how critical he is.

Marchy and Williams back next week hopefully adds more depth.

Cincotta will be the first name on the team sheet next week. He was epic. So defensively solid, straight lines the ball and strong. Kept Kozzie so quiet.

Owies likewise should never be dropped. He's our only small who knows how to find the goals regularly and stay on the park.

Good to see JM back but didn't do much. Strange he wasn't given a half in the VFL. Cunners should have played - better for last weeks run. But Jack still took a great mark.

Depending on if it’s deemed low or medium impact it’s either a fine or a 1 match ban. Since Neal-Bullen was able to get straight back to his feet and play out the game I’d say it should be graded low.. but who knows.

Conduct: Careless
Impact: Low
Outcome: Fine

Or

Conduct: Careless
Impact: Medium
Outcome: 1 Match Ban

You’re missing the magical “Potential to cause serious injury” clause

He’ll get either 1 or 2, no way he gets off that with nothing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thursday night footy can go hang imho. I’ll never concede it’s a good thing except on a public hol when there’s stuff all else on.

It’s a tv time slot ratings winner, absolutely love Thursday night footy. Its not going to get huge crowds because of work/school the next day and that’s just the way it is, footy on 4 days a week is downright awesome

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Going against the grain but that was a massive win for us. Two key men down against a quality outfit who were always going to come hard.

Yes we do need to learn how to win comfortably and yes mistakes were made but to beat a top 4 team with little score board impact from our two towers and two players returning from decent lay offs.

I actually think this win will do wonders for their confidence. I predicted two wins from this tough 5 game stretch and didn't think tonight would be one of them. We hung on in trying circumstances. Next lesson is to play to tempo and notch up some 4+ goal wins. It will happen.
what the TDK situation?

I think it’s tactical.

Trying to lock down and hold on.

I’d like us to play our natural game.

It takes energy to run up and down the field to zone. We deplete ourselves constantly and fold… these wins are fortune - Melbourne kick straight, they win… they should never, ever have been in that position being 28 points up early in the last.

Sorry to be a pessimist, but there’s a sour taste about how we’ve played in the last five weeks (GWS included despite it “clicking” in the 2nd half).
I agree we haven't paid great footy all year other than in fleeting patches.

Which is fine....

It's round 9, just wait till we do.

That 30 point qtr. time lead will be a 60 point HT lead.

Was delicious reading all the salty comments on Twitter after the game. "Carlton are no good". "Carlton were lucky to win". "Umps got the Blues over the line"...mostly from Pies and Tigers supporters. So predictable.

It is getting somewhat tiring the narrative around our close wins though...so Collingwood went about a year and a half winning a bunch of close games and they're the best thing since sliced bread. We show we can win the close ones and we're "lucky" and "the Blues have issues".

So much nonsense.

Back