Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 's**t posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

It worked, no one would have thought we could come out and kick 5 goals straight to Melb’s 0.0 in the first quarter.

The mindset before the game was perfect…we’re playing a very good side who demolished Geelong last week and have quality players all over the ground. We will need to be switched on, work hard and defend well from the get go….and guess what we did.

What about the mindset to come out and play such team oriented, dominant football against a very good team that is almost at full strength.

Such a great mindset that we had 5 individual goal scorers and kept the other mob to precisely zero in the first quarter after they were sent out by their captain with massive payback ringing in their ears!!!

Not sure but I don’t think the sub conscious mind was telling our boys we aren’t good enough!!!!

Is that the clear evidence you were referring to?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Spot on lily…👍

I couldn’t agree more, others like sky horse tamer have made similar points in this thread. We are trying to “hold on” for far too long and because of this, we are the most susceptible of the top 6 or so teams to losing a game when 3-4 goals up.

You see it in every sport, with teams like Brady’s NE Patriots or peak Fergie ManU. The team that has outplayed them for the bulk of the game become too conservative too early and they smell blood. It’s a mindset change that can be difficult to undo.

We are clearly extremely well coached at closing out games in the last minute or so (whether we are up or down by less than a goal), but we change mode way too early in games.

Agreed... with the exception that Fergie had already bought that other teams best player to bring on off the bench with 10 min to go.

Curnow, if he keeps it up and Judd are special and sits with the above 5.

Cripps is a level down
Walsh close and maybe by career end

Doull, hunter, jezza, jono, nicholls, croswell, ashman in the discussion
Our 86 team had

Doull
Kernahan
Hunter
Johnston
Bradley
Harmes

Gawn received a fairly soft free i thought in the first (did the whole head bang with pitto - weird), good to see a pitto goal shortly after...
Gawn did the same thing in the final last year,

he comes across as someone who hasnt had an original thought, and goes with whatever is the most popular view on something
He's more the type that thinks he's smart but doesn't realise he's actually thick as pigsh*t and everyone else knows it.

My lasting memory of him is from the NFL tailgate event and him standing on his own in the middle of a massive marquee about 150m in length with about 2000-3000 media people there, waiting for someone to notice him and looking very disappointed when no one did.

I'm now a good deal more frustrated with Ch.7 than I am May.

This isn't news. This is barely an excuse or a pretext for a 500 word dollop of s**t. This is a non story about a non event that barely describes the event itself. May might've been irate in the moment, but he's not said - insofar as I've seen - a word about it since.

Reporting on the commentary. heck's sake.

:rolleyes:

Wins this year...1pt, 5, 56, 10, 19, 1. Last 4 wins last year, 4pts, 4, 6, 2. Losses this year, 2, 14, 6. That's nasty for a supporter....haha.

Outside of North, the only time we were comfortable late was against GWS. Even then we had to come from 20pts behind. Not only that, but I have also been scarred so badly the last 20 years that my sphincter was still in spasm with 90 seconds to go...haha.

Actually I reckon we were a bit shaky in the last 7-8 minutes against GWS but just had big enough lead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d like to give Cripps a spell at some stage, we need him agile at the end of the season for maximum impact.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
bewitched sparkles GIF

TBH I don't care about the commentary, yes it was bias but ehh. If it gets too bad I just turn it off and listen to the ABC. At least I didn't have to put up with roving Brian, so that was a good thing. No offence but Dale Thomas doesn't really offer a lot.

We only have to worry about it for the rest of this year, Fox will be allowed their own commentators for all games next year. Can’t come soon enough

Curnow, if he keeps it up and Judd are special and sits with the above 5.

Cripps is a level down
Walsh close and maybe by career end

Doull, hunter, jezza, jono, nicholls, croswell, ashman in the discussion
Feel like it’s a little disrespectful to Crippa saying he’s a level down from that group. If he wins a flag I think he’s more than just in that group but high up it

On track for 4 all Australians and 5 best and fairests, a Brownlow and maybe another one

Feel like it’s a little disrespectful to Crippa saying he’s a level down from that group. If he wins a flag I think he’s more than just in that group but high up it

On track for 4 all Australians and 5 best and fairests, a Brownlow and maybe another one
He's in the top group for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fine.

But life is hard enough as it is, so when my team - who have been garbage for two decades - win by a point against an opposition that used to tear us to shreds I take joy in that. Even if in the last 10 minutes we lost the plot and let them back in the team.

And it’s not like any of us here can’t see that we’re not in great form; that we’re struggling for consistency across a game; that we seem to lose the plot for whole quarters.

It’s not about celebrating mediocrity - that would be celebrating honourable losses (a thing we often did only 2 or 3 years ago), it’s about enjoying the wins, no matter how ugly or tough.

Great post!!!

During the lean years we had to celebrate the tiniest of passages of play or heaven forbid winning a quarter or a half!

If we now can’t find joy in a less than perfect performance where we actually win against teams who are at the pointy end of the ladder there is a genuine issue.

What I find very hard to understand is how people seem to only be satisfied with constant perfection. Our first half against Melbourne was such a high standard but there is always the opposition who are doing everything they can to win. There is never ever going to be a flawless performance especially against good teams.

Support the club, players. Let’s not look for the flaws and highlight them at the expense of the good .

One thing we can be certain of is that the players and the club will always be the first to see the own mistakes and heaping on anyone after an error only leads to self doubt and recrimination.

Celebrate with the club, let the dees do the whinging!!!!

Last night's game at GMHBA serves as a timely reminder that it is bloody tough to hold on to an early lead both:
A) Against quality opposition, and;
B) In the modern game

It's funny, a 6-7 goals lead even as recently as 5 years ago meant you just about had the victory sealed. In today's game, it can be whittled away quite easily.

The same goes for us and Port - you can either lament that you gave up a majority of the lead or be thankful that you put yourself in a winning position in the first place.

Suggest it'll be a bit of column a & b for both teams, however you ultimately have to be happy with getting over the line and then take some learnings away from having given away the lead.

I'm now a good deal more frustrated with Ch.7 than I am May.

This isn't news. This is barely an excuse or a pretext for a 500 word dollop of s**t. This is a non story about a non event that barely describes the event itself. May might've been irate in the moment, but he's not said - insofar as I've seen - a word about it since.

Reporting on the commentary. *'s sake.

:rolleyes:

Totally!

The meedya are a blight on the game, fanning into flames whatever gets the clicks regardless of how it may affect the game or the players/coaches.

Listening to the promo for the show 360, the line is “what happens on the field is only half the story”!!!!

Surely what happens on the field is the full story and exactly what a footy show should be focused on!!

/rant!!!!!

We only have to worry about it for the rest of this year, Fox will be allowed their own commentators for all games next year. Can’t come soon enough

Fantastic. I can't get enough K. Underwood.

I disagree. There can be good wins and bad wins. Good losses and bad losses. I like winning but as I said we had an opportunity to win with style and make a statement. Instead we capitulated and showed the world our frailty. I'm happy with the four points and irritated by the performance except for the first quarter which was beautiful.

Yes there were negatives about the win and I too felt a little disappointed but with time to think about things, we came out and blew away one of the best sides in the comp. Given it was our third game in 13 days I think it was a great effort to hold on. Positives outweigh the negatives.

The encouraging thing here is that when we were switched on, Melbourne just couldn't live with us. They had no answers whatsoever.

We went to close up shop and lock the game down a bit too early in that fourth quarter, but this team now knows how to grind and scrap it's way to victory.

I think we're now a team that Melbourne hate to play as well. I just think since that semi final win against them last year, we've become a team that spook them a bit imo.

We def deserved to win. We outplayed them.

Voss and the MC have to take responsibility here for how we structure our end games. It is literally this component that allows other teams back in it to give us a scare.

Sometimes the calamity can be with the defenders. Sometimes it can be with the last 20 min strategy by the coaching gameday team.

Voss cant control the silly errors we keep making especially late in games. Namely Ollie allowing himself to be run down, Cripps turned over two clearances which really cost us and of course how did we let them score from what should've been a rushed behind? Last week was even worse. Adelaide? Geelong. Wipe these errors from our game and we win every game. Could just be a by-product of not having our best 22 out there.

Last edited:
Voss cant control the silly errors we keep making especially late in games. Namely Ollie allowing himself to be run down, Cripps turned over two clearances which really cost us and of course how let them score from what should've been a rushed behind. Last week was even worse. Adelaide? Geelong. Wipe these errors from our game and we win every game. Could just be a by-product of not having our best 22 out there.
Ollie needs to take some lessons from Elijah who seems to dispose of the ball in a split second. Ollie on the other hand wants to take a few steps and get balanced which is okay in open space but not in a congested area.

Crippas a champ, but a couple of left foot kicks under pressure were poor and in hindsight he’s better off handballing in those situations.

But geez in those last few minutes when Melb kicked 3 goals, Blues supporters were hoping for something anything to stop Melb’s momentum - Crippa stepped up and laid a tackle on Petracca with Newman that was game saving.

Ollie needs to take some lessons from Elijah who seems to dispose of the ball in a split second. Ollie on the other hand wants to take a few steps and get balanced which is okay in open space but not in a congested area.

Crippas a champ, but a couple of left foot kicks under pressure were poor and in hindsight he’s better off handballing in those situations.

But geez in those last few minutes when Melb kicked 3 goals, Blues supporters were hoping for something anything to stop Melb’s momentum - Crippa stepped up and laid a tackle on Petracca with Newman that was game saving.

Absolutely. The captain always stands up when needed most. That's the first time I've seen him make two poor errors in a big game but it may just be that he was spent.

Ollie needs to take some lessons from Elijah who seems to dispose of the ball in a split second.
Some players - Pendlebury, for example; Paul Chapman did it too - have this thing where people just aren't able to get into arm's reach of them. It's like there's a forcefield around them, and it prevents them from getting tackled even when they should absolutely be getting tackled. Prior to last week, I'd have sworn George Hewitt had one of these, but Elijah does too. He'll be picking up the ball and have a bloke's arms around his waist already only to be free and clear despite the same player and one or two more still within reach.

When growing up playing, I played with a bloke like this. It's bonkers. You'd do drills with full tackling and for whatever reason you think they're going to zig when they zag. It's not evasiveness because when you think about it they didn't actually do anything to evade you. They genuinely just picked a direction and by then it was too late. Call it a good first step or whatever you like, these players are simply not there when you're ready.

I don't think it's fair to compare a player who can do this to one who can't. Cripps can't do what Elijah does either; does that render his method - 'It's adorable how you think you and your mate and his mate over there can stop me going where I want to go' - worse?

The other side of it too is that Ollie won't have to play so light again in his career. He'll get fitter, heavier, stronger. Right now he's getting knocked off the ball too easy because he's lighter than his opponent, substantially. I don't know that I want to train people to play within themselves, especially not when they've Ollie's skillset. It's actually what I really don't like about our development of Kemp; we've taught him to play the role when he could realistically be absolutely anything on a field, but I digress. Ollie has excellent evasiveness, good speed and acceleration, and is an endurance beast. You want him swooping on loose balls at the edges of stoppages, because if he can get away that's a direct exit and an instant 70m gained.

Everyone in this midfield takes on the tackler; it seems to be a direction from the coaches to me. The upside is that when it works and we break through we're brutal as we exit the front half of the stoppage; the down is that we surrender a number of HTB's around the ball. Last week it was Hewitt; this week it was Ollie. Next week it'll be Walsh, or Cripps, or Newman, or Kennedy.

I think it's just a consequence of how we play.

Back