List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got one for ya that would change the entire fabric of the club overnight.

My absolute number one person on the list from a culture, experience and leadership perspective. And i genuinely think it could be achievable for a number of reasons.

Jack Viney.
Would be a great pick up. Absolutely zero chance of him leaving godees though.

Would be a great pick up. Absolutely zero chance of him leaving godees though.

Why? Free agent next year. Huge money tied up in Oliver/Petracca.

Steven May will be 33 next year, Gawn 34 etc.

This season is their last chance to win it for mine.

Offer overs in both a trade and $$ for Jack and it gets us a conversation. Melbourne need to think of life after Gawn and May.

Happy to take wines and bring him back to vic

Port are pretenders and hes being squeezed out so could make sense to add more years to his career and in his preferred position
Would love to do it just to get them back for Judas, Daniel motlop and Pickett over the years

Offer overs in both a trade and $$ for Jack and it gets us a conversation. Melbourne need to think of life after Gawn and May.
He's got red & blue running through his veins. As long as he is getting a kick, Melbourne will look after him.

I see reality has still yet to set in for some. We aren't just talking finals or flag droughts here, this is in terms of pure competitiveness.

As s**t as those teams were at times none of them spent 5 consecutive years in the bottom 2 of the ladder, as will most likely be the case with us at seasons end. Even during their awful periods they managed to bob up up on occasion to middling finishes, which is something we can only dream of at the moment.

In terms of our rebuild we are not comparable whatsoever and people need to stop pretending we are. We are performing worse, and yes it is a bitter pill to swallow but it sadly is the truth.
Remember when we were the best wooden spoon winners of all time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1000% times this. One of my favourite players. If he can’t get a game at the swans offer him whatever he wants.
Like this a lot. The mic'd up footage from Fox really pointed to the difference between our leadership and that of the better sides. Parker was constantly talking to the guys around him, directing them, pushing them, really excellent stuff. Angus Brayshaw similarly, very focused on body language and keeping your heads up. We need that at North, we haven't had it for a long time despite how excellent Ziebs was.

Correct, me neither, there are too many experts out there who knows how we can improve.

The truth of the matter is that when larkey gets to 150 games, xerri gets to game 100, comben sheez wardlaw all get to game 50, we will probably be higher up on the ladder.
Perhaps you're maybe missing the point with Wines or older players like that.
Our build, as it stands, is much more like a GWS or GC in their inauguration years with a heap of high end talent. However, where, IMO, where we differ and GWS got it right and GC didn't, they attracted the Luke Power's, Chad Cornes, Dean Brogans even James McDonald to teach and shield them when the hidings came and then stayed to reinvest as coaches.
These 4 along with Choco and Sheedy, SOS. Lambert, Paul Kelly set the standards, - no coincidence that they got Josh Hunt, Heath Shaw, Mummy, Griffen even Gilham, no coincidences that Phil Davis and Callan Ward learnt and set the standards for the that team onwards and it's no coincidence that they made prelim in 2016, 4 years in from a proper ground zero rebuild, to only dip outside the 8 twice since - whilst GC best finish is 12th.
All those 29yo+ players were either vital cogs in premiership squads or solid role players from successful sides all of which helped GWS where they are today.
With soft cap limits on coaches, we don't have to but need to attract these type of players to drive standards, professionalism and teach them to fast track the development from the likes of LDU down (in age)....Shiels can't do it himself.

I see reality has still yet to set in for some. We aren't just talking finals or flag droughts here, this is in terms of pure competitiveness.

As s**t as those teams were at times none of them spent 5 consecutive years in the bottom 2 of the ladder, as will most likely be the case with us at seasons end. Even during their awful periods they managed to bob up up on occasion to middling finishes, which is something we can only dream of at the moment.

In terms of our rebuild we are not comparable whatsoever and people need to stop pretending we are. We are performing worse, and yes it is a bitter pill to swallow but it sadly is the truth.
Carlton from 2002 to 2007 gave it a red hot go...broke the sequence in 2004 by finishing 11th in a 16 team comp, then right back to 16th in 2005?

Wines would be huge. 3yrs plus a trigger for 4.
Ignore what footy he could be playing in 3yrs time and ignore which players he might push out on the centre square. The bloke would set standards and teach these kids alot! This is exactly what we need. Leadership!

Id take the #1 kid in the draft and use our other selections on mature aged guys ready to make an impact
Nah that's taking shortcuts. We won't get this kind of draft access when Tassie is in.
Besides I don't think we'll get targets worth giving up the 1st or 2nd rounder in a trade for coming to us anyway.
We have some ways to get in mature players and 3-5 draftees for the long term list balance.

1) Pay cash for mature unrestricted FA's, use the MSD/Delisted/Rookie etc. (No draft capital)
2) Use the compo pick or trade from the Zurhaar situation if he leaves (I thiink he's more frustrated than gone fwiw)
3) Some OOC players like Ford/Phillips/Laz/Scott/Taylor might explore options (pick or player trade(s))
4) Use the later 3rd/4th/5th, F2/F3/F4 to trade for players. But I would think the 3rd rounder might be a good spot to use on a key position, big bodied mid/winger or pressure forward so I would take it to the draft.
5) Consider sliding back from the 1st and/or 2nd round picks to trade for players (trade week) or on draft night
6) LDU situation? I wouldn't trade him myself and not convinced he wants out fwiw

Our build, as it stands, is much more like a GWS or GC in their inauguration years with a heap of high end talent. However, where, IMO, where we differ and GWS got it right and GC didn't, they attracted the Luke Power's, Chad Cornes, Dean Brogans even James McDonald to teach and shield them when the hidings came and then stayed to reinvest as coaches.
These 4 along with Choco and Sheedy, SOS. Lambert, Paul Kelly set the standards, - no coincidence that they got Josh Hunt, Heath Shaw, Mummy, Griffen even Gilham, no coincidences that Phil Davis and Callan Ward learnt and set the standards for the that team onwards and it's no coincidence that they made prelim in 2016, 4 years in from a proper ground zero rebuild, to only dip outside the 8 twice since - whilst GC best finish is 12th.
All those 29yo+ players were either vital cogs in premiership squads or solid role players from successful sides all of which helped GWS where they are today.
With soft cap limits on coaches, we don't have to but need to attract these type of players to drive standards, professionalism and teach them to fast track the development from the likes of LDU down (in age)....Shiels can't do it himself.

Carlton from 2002 to 2007 gave it a red hot go...broke the sequence in 2004 by finishing 11th in a 16 team comp, then right back to 16th in 2005?
Excellent top half of this post.

So true.

The other downside we have is that we don’t have the volume of talent they had to constantly replenish at the top half of the draft like GWS has.

That’s what makes our future feel more bleak, but agree - we need A grade professionals leading the way off the field and avoid a GC debacle.

The circus of Ablett & Harbrow types really left them bereft of leaders.

Need the tough, extroverted types and we might need to overpay on contracts in both dollars and years to get them in.

But where else does the money go given our performances now.

Imagine one or a combination of Parker, Wines, Ward or Haynes from GWS, Nankervis if that’s a true rumour, McCrae, Duncan leading this group.

Might cost cash and a little bit of draft capital but it’s probably exactly what we need to get the most from our young talent.

Shiels was hardly an A Grader and he was close to our best 5 or 6 players and a revered leader last year.

Love Jack Viney but apart from any other consideration, I think that would mean Todd would have to leave that football department and we are not ready for that.

Zurhaar is the last person we need to keep as he plays the finisher role...that duursma could do.

If xerri or larkey is to go then we are in deep s**t.

Well X has signed for 5 or so and souva until what 2029 or 30 so think might be safe there. We are at a stage now where we need to retain our players, be seen as a club that is building something and players want to be part of it. Buckets was a different one as hard to reject pick 3/4... bull won't get us a first rd wouldn't have thought

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m sure there is a joke somewhere about Wines and shelf life. Happy for 1 or 2 years, but not 5, that’s a laugh.

Does anyone else wonder why Hodgeys opinions and thoughts are highly regarded, to me he comes across as someone who rocks up to his shows and broadcasts 5 minutes before they air and quickly asks everyone else what are we doing today/tonight and makes it up as he goes.

I’m sure there is a joke somewhere about Wines and shelf life. Happy for 1 or 2 years, but not 5, that’s a laugh.

Does anyone else wonder why Hodgeys opinions and thoughts are highly regarded, to me he comes across as someone who rocks up to his shows and broadcasts 5 minutes before they air and quickly asks everyone else what are we doing today/tonight and makes it up as he goes.
Hodge is one of the best commentators out there. What you say might be true but that's more a reflection on how shithouse the rest of the commentary teams are.

100% correct adding in Mel situation, they got their early draft picks/kids in brayshaw, Slalem petracca and Oliver and then added two pillars in May and Lever, then added Pickett later and then the role players eg Langdon.... we need four mature 24-27 yr olds or a mix of those plus an older body eg wines, Parker and then we will see some mvt. The problem obviously is trying to attract the across.... we will linger and gradually get better but the addition of these 4 or so will be the key driver as to how quick we can get up there....

Can I point out that *, are 3rd! The ceiling is hardly Everest

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back