Retired #22: Matthew Leuenberger - offered a new deal but chose to retire - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite liked his game on the weekend. His handballs are getting better and he does some handy work linking up. He generally breaks even in the ruck but most importantly, he gives the team around him predictability. He's my #1 ruckman on our list.
I agree. I thought he was good. Yet some people were commenting on what a terrible player he is?

Odd.

Leuenberger is in many respects the opposite to Bellchambers. Leuenberger is willing to get dirty, get in the pack, chase, tackle, shepherd and run all day. These facets make him a better team man for mine - he's not a great pack mark, not a great forward and not a great kick for goal. But we don't really need that in the ruck - we want a competitor who will run all day and apply pressure.

Bellchambers is a highlights man - won't chase, tackle or do the one percenters. He will take some flashy marks and look awesome in doing so in snippets - a tease. However I prefer the bread n butter player Leuenberger who will give 100% effort for the entire match.

Leuenberger is in many respects the opposite to Bellchambers. Leuenberger is willing to get dirty, get in the pack, chase, tackle, shepherd and run all day. These facets make him a better team man for mine - he's not a great pack mark, not a great forward and not a great kick for goal. But we don't really need that in the ruck - we want a competitor who will run all day and apply pressure.

Bellchambers is a highlights man - won't chase, tackle or do the one percenters. He will take some flashy marks and look awesome in doing so in snippets - a tease. However I prefer the bread n butter player Leuenberger who will give 100% effort for the entire match.

Numerous times Leu was at bottom of packs. Rarely see that of Bell.

Im thinking compared to last year he hasn't gotten involved as much in general play and this has led to some questions being raised. Could be because of his earlier injury or better players are back this year. Either way he stays in ahead of Tbell for mine.

Im thinking compared to last year he hasn't gotten involved as much in general play and this has led to some questions being raised. Could be because of his earlier injury or better players are back this year. Either way he stays in ahead of Tbell for mine.

Honestly, I'd rather him focus on hit outs, protecting and supplying for our mids and limiting our opponents ruck around the ground.

We really want the ball in his hands as little as possible.

If he can notch 30 odd hit outs while providing the above, I'm fine with him only averaging approx. 10 stats.

Played a great game on the weekend. Smashed Vardy in the middle and gave the best service possible to our mids who dominated, but it was a rounded game where he applied pressure, tackled hard and covered ground to provide a tall link up option. He also pushed forward more on the weekend than any previous game for us. He looked like he really wanted to kick a goal, maybe due to the pressure coming from Bellchambers in the reserves.

What a joke. Dominated the ruck against WC which resulted in us actually winning in the midfield for a change, and now he has to earn his spot back. Craziness ..

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not with Worsfold on this one. At all.

I'll wish Bellchambers best of luck of course, but as far as I was concerned Leuy was doing a very decent job in the ruck before injury and deserved to come back in.

I like it, I'm not sure if belly ends up being that guy but his archetype of ruck, a guy who can compete in the taps and be someone who takes marks around the ground and gives the odd goal is more beneficial than Lueys type. On form Luey should be playing but I like that they're trying to create a structure to be successful long term rather than with an immediate look on tomorrow even if it might end up blowing up in their face short term.

We need to see if TBC can give us something with his dual attributes, forward and ruck, while he is in form. It's pointless waiting until the end of the season if we're out of finals calculations, and then we give him a few token games to prove himself. This is his moment to shine. If he has one down game his chances may be blown unless injury strikes. He's earned his right to make a play for first choice ruck. It's now up to him to grab that opportunity.

It's hardly a Nic Nat v Giles situation with these two, is it? Yes, the pressure is on TBC to perform, but if you just look at the fact that he got an opportunity last week, his game was ok, so I'm keen to see how he goes today against an animal like Mummy.

Will he get a call up if Bellchambers gets beaten by ryder next week? Or is Bellchambers' spot secured for the next month or so?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back