Retired #22: Matthew Leuenberger - offered a new deal but chose to retire - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Bump.

Thought he played a really nice game today. But the most impressive aspect of the afternoon for Mathew was his post game interview.
So impressive. All he really wanted to talk about was Sam Draper and his development.
That really struck me too. Considering that he is consigned to the ressies now as the break-glass option, you could forgive him for being a little self-focused in trying to regain his position as the primary ruck. But instead he is not only team focused but hell-bent on developing our young ruckman to succeed him next year. Terrific attitude to have for the team.

Quality character.

When he first came to Bombers I saw him play in a scratch match against Geelong VFL. His voice, direction and leadership was really obvious, even in what I think was his first game for the club. I remember being struck by it at the time.

Acceptance of the role he plays with the group has been first class.

Final game of his AFL career on Friday night? Will stick around for VFL finals

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The consummate professional. Won't get the fanfare if he does retire, but he has been really important to us.
Was our second most important player in 2016 without a doubt, and arguably up there going into last year as well with Bellchambers' injury troubles and Smack having a poor 2016

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love it if leuy would go on a year as that ‘break glass in emergency’ guy - we need cover but not someone who expects game time because that will go to Draper.

Agreed though I think that he'd start as the cover for the AFL side, playing the same role he is currently.

It's a very long way for 20yo, 203-205cm soccer convert to have come to be the number 2 ruck on the list in his 3rd year of footy.

They may decide to use Smack but he has
pretty serious deficiencies as the number 1 at AFL level.

Agreed though I think that he'd start as the cover for the AFL side, playing the same role he is currently.

It's a very long way for 20yo, 203-205cm soccer convert to have come to be the number 2 ruck on the list in his 3rd year of footy.

They may decide to use Smack but he has
pretty serious deficiencies as the number 1 at AFL level.

Yeah, that is probably better articulated. You'd want Draper to get a few to a handful of games, but if Belcho went down long-term you couldn't rely on Draper or Smack as a full time proposition.

So is Luey done?

Obvoiusly the Eagles are searching high and low for ruck depth / support.

Any chance he plays on mext year elsewhere?

So is Luey done?

Obvoiusly the Eagles are searching high and low for ruck depth / support.

Any chance he plays on mext year elsewhere?

No, all speculation. In fact I dunno where this is coming from cos at the minute we kinda need him...

If Leuy is not at the club in 2019 should we bring in a mature ruckman or should we roll with just belly and Draper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free up the salary cap a little and say thanks but see ya later Leunberger.

Get another developing kid in and place more emphasis on Draper to have a big pre-season in a sink or swim approach.

Keep Smack Mckernan though as big body back up.

No, all speculation. In fact I dunno where this is coming from cos at the minute we kinda need him...

He is looking pretty old and tired - I think that would be mainly where it's coming from. Would a 30 year old ruck be happy enough to be a stand-by knowing he's playing majority VFL? If so, I think the club and fan base alike would love to have him back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back