AFL Player #22: Sam Durham

Remove this Banner Ad

And before anyone loses their mind I'm clearly taking the piss. Of course they aren't the same type of player.

But Snelling finished 3rd in our best and fairest at 24. You could've easily argued for a 4 year deal for him at that time, yet he was delisted 2 years later.

And before anyone loses their mind I'm clearly taking the piss. Of course they aren't the same type of player.

But Snelling finished 3rd in our best and fairest at 24. You could've easily argued for a 4 year deal for him at that time, yet he was delisted 2 years later.
Snelling had never shown as much as Durham though. He had a nice season but third in B & F ..even he said was very surprising.

Good for Durham ..still only 22 ...lock him up

He just loves Europe in late summer-Autumn so signing LT with Essendon the perfect fit really.

He just loves Europe in late summer-Autumn so signing LT with Essendon the perfect fit really.

Not familiar with northern slang, what illicit substance is LT?

Loved this guy early last year, just seemed to have A list qualities. But the timing of this is a bit surprising? What if ends up having a bad year with form/injuries? Mid year seems like a no brainer in terms of timing. On the other hand, i guess it's ultimate vindication for my early impressions of him. They really think he will be sought after no matter what happens this year... thats some high praise!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved this guy early last year, just seemed to have A list qualities. But the timing of this is a bit surprising? What if ends up having a bad year with form/injuries? Mid year seems like a no brainer in terms of timing. On the other hand, i guess it's ultimate vindication for my early impressions of him. They really think he will be sought after no matter what happens this year... thats some high praise!

We appear to be re-doing a heap of contracts at the moment, probably to manage the cap towards another FA or two at the end of the season.

Pay Day Money GIF

From rookie to riches.

The generosity of dodo strikes again. I like durham but 4 is one too many. Below average in most major stats. See him replacing heppel or kellys spot personally.

Up to at least 4 we have given a year too long.

The length of deal is just reward for the ceiling they rate him. His development since he came on board has been monumental. Maybe 1 year to long but when 2028 does come around, he'll likely be one of our regular best 18 players.
the contracts coming out is probably in preparation for the TPP being announced or leaked to clubs if it hasn't already. The forward planning is well in motion and we are one of the few clubs who do deals without the salary cap increase in it. Prolly a reason why the 4 years tbf

Can’t see a problem in the length of contract. For starters Sam is unlikely to be the type of player in the bottom 6 on our list when he is 25/26, but if he is there are other ways to get rid of him.

I think we’ll see some long contracts for players we are reasonably confident in to get them past Tasmania's entry in ‘28.

Long contracts at reasonable money benefit the club more than the player in the next five years with the likely TPP increases and Tas’ entry.

The generosity of dodo strikes again. I like durham but 4 is one too many. Below average in most major stats. See him replacing heppel or kellys spot personally.

Up to at least 4 we have given a year too long.
Not arguing about 4 v 2 but Dodoro still has to go by what Vosso / Scott say . They are the blokes happy with 4 years .
There are no Dodoro specials anymore.
Also seems to becoming standard that players are getting 3 to 4 year’s minimum.

Last edited:
This contract is just reward for a player who works his butt off. He still has plenty of improvement left in him. Four years may be one year too long, but with Tassie, TPP and Sam’s improvement is probably a good contract for him and club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back