AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t see how it’s trolling to point out Stringer being overweight is unprofessional. Plenty of other players got injured during the same time period and didn’t stack on the kegs.

It also reflected poorly on the club. Rushing back an overweight still injured Stringer to chase 8th on the ladder never made any sense.
So all players are the same then ? One case fits all ?
Plenty of people out their that do put on 5kg pretty quick if they can not train / excursive at even 90%.

Bad decision for us to play him but it is footy. Clubs do desperate things all the time.

He was on SEN today

If he stays fit we may be in for his best year yet. He should truly become the player our whole team in built around (the front half anyway).

That was an incredibly eye opening interview in that he has had other players coming to him due to not getting the specific training for their needs from the clubs themselves.

They also raise the discussion surrounding other sports many athletes have their own trainers to better themselves, so when they get to their team stuff it's maintenance or an addition to an already solid base. They discuss how this isn't a thing in the AFL.

It makes sense, the more I think of it how often do we hear stories of a player that works on a specific goal in the off season and just becomes an instant top 10 player off that workload. Of course talent plays a part but off the top of my head I'd go with Fyfe who has that crazy transformation, Stringer as we know, Parish was another.

I've said it before I just think the AFL is a step below what maybe elite performance elsewhere is or maybe there is just something else missing. I know these guys are fit, but there does seem to be a gap.

They touch on the training through soreness stuff here as well which was the big thing for the Demons which was apparantly a huge philosophy shift.

Last edited:
That was an incredibly eye opening interview in that he has had other players coming to him due to not getting the specific training for their needs from the clubs themselves.

They also raise the discussion surrounding other sports many athletes have their own trainers to better themselves, so when they get to their team stuff it's maintenance or an addition to an already solid base. They discuss how this isn't a thing in the AFL.

It makes sense, the more I think of it how often do we hear stories of a player that works on a specific goal in the off season and just becomes an instant top 10 player off that workload. Of course talent plays a part but off the top of my head I'd go with Fyfe who has that crazy transformation, Stringer as we know, Parish was another.

I've said it before I just think the AFL is a step below what maybe elite performance elsewhere is or maybe there is just something else missing. I know these guys are fit, but there does seem to be a gap.

They touch on the training through soreness stuff here as well which was the big thing for the Demons which was apparantly a huge philosophy shift.

The AFL lacks the money that the NFL or NBA (for example) does, where someone like LeBron has an entire staff employed for his personal conditioning / diet / recovery etc...

So even at the level of those big US sports, there's a gap between the players who use the team provided infrastructure, and those who go out and source individual level advice.

Partly because of the money in the AFL, it's probably harder to go off and have your own dedicated trainer, but also there's a real distinct mindset in a player saying "I need more" and being willing to do do that level of work.

Stringer seems like a guy who even if he had his own dedicated S&C team, wouldn't have done the extra level of work until the last year or two.

The AFL lacks the money that the NFL or NBA (for example) does, where someone like LeBron has an entire staff employed for his personal conditioning / diet / recovery etc...

So even at the level of those big US sports, there's a gap between the players who use the team provided infrastructure, and those who go out and source individual level advice.

Partly because of the money in the AFL, it's probably harder to go off and have your own dedicated trainer, but also there's a real distinct mindset in a player saying "I need more" and being willing to do do that level of work.

Stringer seems like a guy who even if he had his own dedicated S&C team, wouldn't have done the extra level of work until the last year or two.

I think it also has to do with how training camps are structured too. Most US based sports have a training camp that starts 4-6 weeks before round 1, the AFL goes back about 4.5 months before the 1st reg season game. US athletes have to stay fit on their own time, AFL players collectivly have to do it because they need to turn up at work each day.

Yeah, and also seems they mostly do this in the off season to get to the next level.

Footy is a job these days so it is just like someone doing a degree in their time to better their employment goals.

Just shows how much god given talent he has where he can play at a high level without really trying in the past. He has been enormous for our club.

Totally different types of sports. Preseason (training camp) in nba/ nfl is based purely on running plays, game plan. No fitness involved like afl, they all do that in their own time.

On another note looks like his groin isn’t great and he’s going to be out for at least a month. We’ll really find out how much he’s learnt and how professional he is. He can never get through a full preseason without something popping up 😒

I think it also has to do with how training camps are structured too. Most US based sports have a training camp that starts 4-6 weeks before round 1, the AFL goes back about 4.5 months before the 1st reg season game. US athletes have to stay fit on their own time, AFL players collectivly have to do it because they need to turn up at work each day.

That's true, they've got a lot less downtime in the AFL away from the team environment so it's a different dynamic as well.

Yeah, and also seems they mostly do this in the off season to get to the next level.

Footy is a job these days so it is just like someone doing a degree in their time to better their employment goals.

Just shows how much god given talent he has where he can play at a high level without really trying in the past. He has been enormous for our club.

I'm not sure if fair to say he hasn't really been trying, he's just not done the extra work to allow him to do the stuff we saw him doing at the end of 2021. He seems to have done what's asked of him within the training sessions at the club, which has always put a ceiling on how good his tank is given the timeline.

Totally different types of sports. Preseason (training camp) in nba/ nfl is based purely on running plays, game plan. No fitness involved like afl, they all do that in their own time.

On another note looks like his groin isn’t great and he’s going to be out for at least a month. We’ll really find out how much he’s learnt and how professional he is. He can never get through a full preseason without something popping up 😒

JC: Jake Stringer update? Did he hurt his groin?

BR: Very minor, this time of year, and Kyle Langford (shoulder) is the same, they didn’t quite get up to the full session but both of those guys have done a power of work in pre-season. If there is an opportunity to be a fraction more conservative, this time of year that is kind of the decision we have made on both those guys, nothing to be too concerned about.

Stringer is unlikely to play in any of the practice matches over the next three weeks as the 27-year-old recovers from groin pain.

Jake Stringer reported some groin pain two weeks ago and after having training modified for a week without significant improvement, it was decided that given the time of the year we would take this time to get it fully right,” Mahoney said.

“Jake will take the opportunity for a week of rest before building back up over the next few weeks. It is unlikely that Jake will play in a pre-season game.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's true, they've got a lot less downtime in the AFL away from the team environment so it's a different dynamic as well.

I'm not sure if fair to say he hasn't really been trying, he's just not done the extra work to allow him to do the stuff we saw him doing at the end of 2021. He seems to have done what's asked of him within the training sessions at the club, which has always put a ceiling on how good his tank is given the timeline.
That came across badly, just saying he has so much natural ability, plus being mostly in the goalsquare he didn't probably have a huge tank and no need to pound the pavement if you like.

Moving to midfield he has realised he needs to be fitter and taken it upon himself to be the best he can be.

Wasn't having a go at all.

Scary for the opposition IMO, he was at Dusty level last half of the season and he can get better!

Clubs lack the money, but my point is I think there is some gap in what players are capable of vs what club only training gets out of them, or perhaps it's the speed at which they improve fitness wise that is a better way of saying it.

I don't think the money conversation is that relevant when what I'm talking about is players just getting individualised training for their goals on their own dime. Exactly what Jake has done with Kelly.

The impression I get from AFL is that perhaps for some there is a philosophy of getting players- as a group- up to being able to play AFL. That is not necessarily the same as preparing a player to be at absolute peak condition for their capability.
Or getting a player to their peak as quickly as possible (healthily).

Perhaps it's the group effect that explains it where the individual programs as part of that aren't exactly right, perhaps the benefits are more to do with the individual who goes out and gets the personal trainer is going to improve faster than those that dont.
There has been a few interviews and comments now from those that would know that AFL players perhaps don't push through things as much as maybe they can. The Burgess training method and what Kelly and Cornes speak about seems to be the outlier rather than the norm though yet in the interviews and comments it's always talking about the wild success they have had.

I just question whether there may be untapped potential with a change in philosophy in the industry as a whole.
Remember when altitude training was considered elite? Then it became heat training, it's constantly evolving. I'm just talking about that next step, maybe it is individual players taking control of their fitness. It's in their best interest if the gap is big enough you can catapault your self into talk of the best in the game.

I'll also put this here so as to avoid any confusion. I'm not criticising player fitness, I'm not saying they aren't ridiculously fit and that clubs have no idea. I'm just talking about within the margins and whether other philosophies or individual approach may bare more fruit.
What the ideal AFL player body isn't set in stone and has changed even over the last decade so the idea that the ways we do things now are the only way or the absolute best way i think is naive.

Clubs lack the money, but my point is I think there is some gap in what players are capable of vs what club only training gets out of them, or perhaps it's the speed at which they improve fitness wise that is a better way of saying it.

I don't think the money conversation is that relevant when what I'm talking about is players just getting individualised training for their goals on their own dime. Exactly what Jake has done with Kelly.

The impression I get from AFL is that perhaps for some there is a philosophy of getting players- as a group- up to being able to play AFL. That is not necessarily the same as preparing a player to be at absolute peak condition for their capability.
Or getting a player to their peak as quickly as possible (healthily).

Perhaps it's the group effect that explains it where the individual programs as part of that aren't exactly right, perhaps the benefits are more to do with the individual who goes out and gets the personal trainer is going to improve faster than those that dont.
There has been a few interviews and comments now from those that would know that AFL players perhaps don't push through things as much as maybe they can. The Burgess training method and what Kelly and Cornes speak about seems to be the outlier rather than the norm though yet in the interviews and comments it's always talking about the wild success they have had.

I just question whether there may be untapped potential with a change in philosophy in the industry as a whole.
Remember when altitude training was considered elite? Then it became heat training, it's constantly evolving. I'm just talking about that next step, maybe it is individual players taking control of their fitness. It's in their best interest if the gap is big enough you can catapault your self into talk of the best in the game.

I'll also put this here so as to avoid any confusion. I'm not criticising player fitness, I'm not saying they aren't ridiculously fit and that clubs have no idea. I'm just talking about within the margins and whether other philosophies or individual approach may bare more fruit.
What the ideal AFL player body isn't set in stone and has changed even over the last decade so the idea that the ways we do things now are the only way or the absolute best way i think is naive.

Oh I don't disagree with what you're saying, just that the money in the NBA versus AFL is totally different.

Guys earning double digit millions a year can obviously afford to pay for full time individualised coaching from some of the best people in the industry, whereas even someone like Stringer who's on a pretty good wage, doesn't have that kind of buying power.

Even then, where players in the NBA and NFL have enormous financial resources at their disposal, there's a marked difference between the few guys who go out and find a way to get every percentage of improvement out of themselves, and most who don't.

The team training environment is good 'enough' for most players to perform to a high level, but there's no doubt that for the few players will greater motivation to really improve themselves there's better ways, and more resources out there.

There's a reason guys like Cornes stand out, or why you hear about a 'penny drop' moment for a player where they realise the level of work they need to be doing, because the mental side of going and pushing themselves to get the extra 5% isn't something everyone can do, even in a fully professional environment.

Also NBA players are largely responsible for their own brand, and organisations move them around a lot and try to find the best fit to build a team. AFL players are smaller pieces of a bigger puzzle.

You wouldn't want to go out drafting skinny flankers and then their own personal fitness teams turn them into big bodied inside midfielders, if what you wanted was a team full of skinny flankers.

You wouldn't want to go out drafting skinny flankers and then their own personal fitness teams turn them into big bodied inside midfielders, if what you wanted was a team full of skinny flankers.

Remember that off-season we said Brayden Ham was going to play as an Inside Midfielder?

Rutten said he expected Stringer to be fit to face the Cats.

"We're pretty confident that Jake will be ready then. He's done a fair bit of work for us. He did a fair bit of training for us pre-Christmas and post-Christmas as well. He hasn't missed a beat up until now," Rutten said.

"It's one of those ones at this time of the year with guys who have done a fair bit of work we're erring on the side of being a little bit more conservative to make sure that we're not having lingering injuries that are carrying throughout the season. He's such an important player for us as we know and we're really confident we'll see him for the start of the season."

Remember that off-season we said Brayden Ham was going to play as an Inside Midfielder?
He was attending centre bounces in our intraclub though!

A075F903-5728-48A8-999B-11658F7AD469.jpeg

Jakey was looking lean and mean before the injury, please don't undo it now. If he isn't training or doing much running, he better be in the pool or strapped to the bike to keep up the aerobic fitness levels. Delete Uber Eats and all the rest of the apps too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back