AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Proving me wrong about his ability to play midfield. Not to self. Do not make early calls :oops:
You were probably right at the start of the season when he was playing too much midfield at a 60-40 midfield-forward split.

Now they have corrected that and got a bit of fitness half way through the year (had an interrupted preseason i believe from memory) and presto.
The guy find some form.

Its very exciting that he is now able to impact both up forward and through the midfield. It seems week by week he is just fitting in better to our gameplan and style. I also reckon defensively its starting to click for him a lot better. He still has his moments (I think Zorko's first goal was opposed Stringer where he didn't do enough to stop his run) but as the season has gone on he's produced more and done it more consistently too.

I don't believe he will ever become a full time 22 weeks pure midfield player but I'm more than happy for him to play some sort of balance between 30-70% through the midfield with the rest of the time forward.

The three S's may not have dominated right from round 1 this season but we've now seen half a season from each of them and I would definitely not undo any of those trades. They all look to be good long term acquisitions for us.

If he has a full uninterrupted preseason this coming year, this has the potential to become one of the most ridiculous trade steals of all time

Still don’t think he’s fantastically fit.

Looks like he's in third gear. I've been surprised how smart he is; just makes excellent decisions and never looks flustered.

The package is delivering. And its through different avenues to what the AFL have come to expect from Jake. Its a fitness driven accumulation with defensive efforts (which still need improving) and never being out of the game for too long. Gets a fair bit of dirty tough footy

Been fantastic and will continue to improve as long as he keeps working hard.

Only thing stopping him from being Dusty like is disposal by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith and something around 23-26 for pick 10 - every day of the week.

That trade was more like highway robbery. To be fair though at any other team Smith would have been a midfielder. GWS just had ridiculous amount of top quality midfielders so they ended up moving Greene and Smith to play as forwards. I suspect Greene would have stayed as a midfielder at most clubs too.

I’d say he was the fairest trade out of the trio and we’ve still done well.
Nah, Saad was about right, and GCS just respecting his wish to go home.
Stringer we raped the Dogs, but it was entirely of their doing.
Smith, we made out like bandits, as said above, but GWS have a history of doing deals heavily weighted against them, so long as it provides them access to the pointy end of every draft.
So, only the doggies would be unhappy out of all parties.

Nah, Saad was about right, and GCS just respecting his wish to go home.
Stringer we raped the Dogs, but it was entirely of their doing.
Smith, we made out like bandits, as said above, but GWS have a history of doing deals heavily weighted against them, so long as it provides them access to the pointy end of every draft.
So, only the doggies would be unhappy out of all parties.

They went out of their way to de-value their own asset in the media, then wonder why it all panned out the way it did.

Hows Schache going? Oh thats a shame
I hope the kid does really well, both because I like to see players do well and because the better that trade ends up being for both parties, the more likely we’ll have a good relationship trade wise with the Bulldogs.

The package is delivering. And its through different avenues to what the AFL have come to expect from Jake. Its a fitness driven accumulation with defensive efforts (which still need improving) and never being out of the game for too long. Gets a fair bit of dirty tough footy

This is what's most pleasing. He's working damn hard while still hitting the scoreboard.

If i recall he had a slight setback in pre season and he looks now to be covering the ground alot better than the start of the year.

It shows now as he is able to spread forward from clearances. Only issue is he is caught to deep on occasion in his leadi g pattern. Andrews just dropped off in front of him constantly on sunday.

An underrated aspect of his improvement has been his marking. His hands, while far from fantastic, have been way more solid this year than in any of his previous seasons.

Given he's being played in a semi-chaos role (constantly moving between midfield, deep forward, and high half-forward) it's going to make his stints as a deep forward really exploitable for match-ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back