Traded #27: Jonathan Giles - Traded to The West Coast with pick 62 for pick 57

Remove this Banner Ad

Giles was up against Andrew Phillips and Rory Lobb and was beaten in the ruck losing the hitouts. Sure he got some ineffective clearances but his marking was poor as were his hitouts. His game was overrated given the opposition he faced. You'd expect more from a guy with his experience versus kid ruckmen.

The question is less about the opposition faced and more to do with who's been played in front of him.

And did he lose the hitouts?

So what? he wasn't embarrassed and comphrensivoely beaten. I can't say the same about Mckernan this year (who I actually like if he was played as a second ruck/fwd).

So what? he wasn't embarrassed and comphrensivoely beaten. I can't say the same about Mckernan this year (who I actually like if he was played as a second ruck/fwd).

You need to compare apples with apples - Lets see how well Giles goes against Jacobs - reckon Mckernan would have fancied facing campbell/Lobb/Phillips in the last two weeks.

Giles was up against Andrew Phillips and Rory Lobb and was beaten in the ruck losing the hitouts. Sure he got some ineffective clearances but his marking was poor as were his hitouts. His game was overrated given the opposition he faced. You'd expect more from a guy with his experience versus kid ruckmen.

Was he beaten in the ruck ? by the stats Giles 22 hit outs , Lobb 6 hit outs and Phillips 16 hit outs. Last time i checked 6 plus 16 was 22.
The only reason we lost the overall ruck was they had more third man up hit outs than us.

Watching his game I felt like the weaknesses showed were when he had to beat his man in marking contests. Sometimes he'd bring it to ground but otherwise he didn't necessarily beat the young rucks in that area. He did alright in the middle and I was a little surprised he wasn't switched forward once Hooker's effect on the game completely stopped. Real test comes against another big man in Jacobs, if he doesn't give away 7 free kicks in a row that's kind of an improvement on the last situation. He's improving considering he was worked all over the ground for minimal defensive spoils against the Doggies (although GWS played more of a zone game).

Genuinely unsure what has happened to this guy.

We paid peanuts for him, which is fine, but he obviously just did not fit with the club/coach/team.

Laziness? Injury? Lack of effort?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuinely unsure what has happened to this guy.

We paid peanuts for him, which is fine, but he obviously just did not fit with the club/coach/team.

Laziness? Injury? Lack of effort?

These two are what was hinted at the most. I kinda don't get it. He was very, very good when he was number one ruck at GWS. He was largely responsible for the clubs early wins as a young team.

These two are what was hinted at the most. I kinda don't get it. He was very, very good when he was number one ruck at GWS. He was largely responsible for the clubs early wins as a young team.

He must have seriously pissed someone off in the preseason, because our ruck spot was there for the taking.

Watch us trade him then Leuey and Bellcho spend the whole year in the injury room.

I kinda feel like it’s fate.

I certainly think we'd need to rookie a ruck if we trade him.

I certainly think we'd need to rookie a ruck if we trade him.

Yeah, I don't want Smack playing in a role he's not comfortable with. We need 3 proper rucks on our list.

Yeah, I don't want Smack playing in a role he's not comfortable with. We need 3 proper rucks on our list.

Smack is a forward IMO. He and Daniher are our starting tall forwards next year.

Smack is a forward IMO. He and Daniher are our starting tall forwards next year.
I agree. It remains a mystery why he didn't get a run there.

I blame Neil Craig, not based on any actual information or reason, just because I can - that or too much.South Australian influence at the club in general.

I liked Smack's follow up efforts in the ruck late in the year. There was one of the games he got a few clearances in a row. I think he can offer that point of difference in the middle if he can continue to develop as a relief ruck.

I liked Smack's follow up efforts in the ruck late in the year. There was one of the games he got a few clearances in a row. I think he can offer that point of difference in the middle if he can continue to develop as a relief ruck.

Yeah have no issue him being available as a back up ruck, however ideally with the sub rule gone I'd like to see Berger and Bellcho both played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back