Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think this might be close to the mark. We all know his conditioning isn't 100% so I wonder if he trained this week and i he hasn't recovered sufficiently to play on a fast track at Marvel.
He also came in because Jy missed a game didn't he?

There's a few narratives that are disrespectful to individuals involved.

He doesn't owe the club anything. He doesn't need to work harder. Clarkson doesn't have it in for him. He isn't being crucified. Comparisons to wingers and HB's and forwards and their selection is a completely bogus argument.

He just isn't good enough. It happens.

In the NFL they publish a depth chart, for every position.

I think if we did that with inside mids he would be in the bubble area, which means he will be used sparingly.

There are other "spuds" in the team, but he doesn't play their role unfortunately. He needs to move on come year's end and hopefully will go to a team that doesn't stock pile the same player.

The other plodders in the team can at least play more than one position. Phillips is too limited in every way to play anywhere expect as an inside mid, and even as an inside mid he is limited.

Whatever the reason for him becoming a yoyo I just hope he’s getting proper feedback from the coaches about it.

I’m sure he is and I’m also sure it would be with encouragement re how to better himself.

In the NFL they publish a depth chart, for every position.

I think if we did that with inside mids he would be in the bubble area, which means he will be used sparingly.

Oh Lordy.

This is going to test the relationship between player and coach me thinks.

Was surprised he got a recall last week after an uninspiring performance against Sandringham.
But the revolving door selection process continues.

I would not have wanted to have been in the room this week when he was told he was dropped again.
I think he was brought in specifically for the Darwin game because it suited him. He has better ball handling than most so could be an asset in the slipperly conditions, where his weaknesses were less likely to be exposed. It also gave him a chance to run with Rowell who plays the same role as Will and with the intensity he needs to get to if he is going to make it.

I don't think we need to see Will at Docklands again this year. His running isn't good enough to play midfield on a fast ground.

I think he was brought in specifically for the Darwin game because it suited him. He has better ball handling than most so could be an asset in the slipperly conditions, where his weaknesses were less likely to be exposed. It also gave him a chance to run with Rowell who plays the same role as Will and with the intensity he needs to get to if he is going to make it.

I don't think we need to see Will at Docklands again this year. His running isn't good enough to play midfield on a fast ground.
Wardlaw, Powell and Lazzaro are ahead of him. So as much as he needs games in the seniors, its not practical.

Will feels like he should be playing but the reality is its his mates in his draft class that are keeping him out of the side.

FWIW I don't consider LDU an inside mid.

Also also, how f***ing stupid do we look taking Phillips, Powell and Lazzaro in the same draft when we could have solved that problem by taking Serong the year before.

At least Clarko sees this problem now and how embarrassing the list imbalance is where we don't have a recognisable centre-half-forward ffs.
F*** Brady. I don't want to get angry over this shit for the hundreth time

Wardlaw, Powell and Lazzaro are ahead of him. So as much as he needs games in the seniors, its not practical.

Will feels like he should be playing but the reality is its his mates in his draft class that are keeping him out of the side.

FWIW I don't consider LDU an inside mid.

Also also, how f***ing stupid do we look taking Phillips, Powell and Lazzaro in the same draft when we could have solved that problem by taking Serong the year before.

At least Clarko sees this problem now and how embarrassing the list imbalance is where we don't have a recognisable centre-half-forward ffs.
F*** Brady. I don't want to get angry over this s**t for the hundreth time
I don't think Laz is really ahead of him as an inside mid, he is just a better runner. But yeah, that draft, WTF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably, the most disappointing news I’ve heard so far this season. That’s in a season where I have only heard disappointing news…
Maybe, the Tarryn Thomas news trumped it. In both instances, the slow moving inevitability of the outcome is what makes it even harder to stomach.

fourth in the pecking order. in the worst side.
Close up the thread and move it to the past players.

Imagine being behind Lazzaro, crikey.
Clarko said fourth behind Wardlaw, LDU and Powell. Still not great, very fringe areas.

Why do we devalue our own players? Tanner Bruhn was pick 18 from the same draft. Now I'm not saying Will is worth that based on output but to suggest we'll only get a rookie pick or an early 3rd rounder (pick 50 on draft night) is ridiculous.
2nd round selection is the only thing we should consider. Nothing less than that.

Why do we devalue our own players? Tanner Bruhn was pick 18 from the same draft. Now I'm not saying Will is worth that based on output but to suggest we'll only get a rookie pick or an early 3rd rounder (pick 50 on draft night) is ridiculous.
2nd round selection is the only thing we should consider. Nothing less than that.

The only club that would overpay for someone based on their prior draft position would be checks notes us

Welcome to North Will!

You need to prepare yourself for him being delisted and going to another club as a DFA. Or not being on a list next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back