AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven’t ruled him out’: Essendon midfielder Darcy Parish still a chance to line up for Hawks clash​

Darcy Parish is still a chance to line up for the Dons in Round 1 against Hawthorn despite a hamstring issue, with the midfielder coming off a personal-best pre-season.

Prolific Essendon midfielder Darcy Parish will “give himself every chance” to get over a hamstring issue in time for Saturday’s blockbuster season-opener against Hawthorn.

It comes as the Dons get set to put more trust in young bull Sam Durham.

The Bombers have not put a line through Parish’s chances of facing the club’s traditional rival, with the all-Australian to be put through his paces later in the week.

Ruck Sam Draper will also be monitored late in the week.

Midfield teammate Will Setterfield said there was still hope the ball magnet would be right to go.

“They haven’t ruled him out … I think he is a chance,” Setterfield said of Parish.

“I hope he is out there because he had a bloody good pre-season and was going really well and played well in the praccy match. He missed a chunk of footy last year with his calf and he would have been itching to put a full season together so he will definitely give himself every chance.”

Whether Parish plays this week or not, he is likely to spend big minutes alongside Durham this year.

The youngster has been a standout through most of summer and gathered two clearances and 14 disposals in limited minutes in a pre-season loss to Geelong.

With Jade Gresham (St Kilda) and Xavier Duursma (Port Adelaide) joining the Bombers over the off-season, the depth in Brad Scott’s midfield group has rapidly expanded.

“I think we just need to find the right balance in there,” Setterfield said.

“Zachy (Merrett) is one of the best midfielder in the comp, as is (Parish) in there.

“(Durham) is a really good power running a good athlete and a bit of a bigger body.”

Setterfield said he had “almost forgotten” about the foot injury that derailed his debut season at Essendon last year, ruling him out form round 9 to the final game of the season.

The former Blue and Giant has not missed a session over summer and said he was ready to play in front of a packed crowd at the MCG, with the Bombers hoping to tip over 80,000 fans.

“That’s the beauty of playing at a massive club like Essendon, we have a massive supporter base and really passionate fans and that is certainly something we love and want to thrive on this year,” he said.

“It is the absolute beauty of playing for a club like Essendon.”

Last edited:

Haven’t ruled him out’: Essendon midfielder Darcy Parish still a chance to line up for Hawks clash​

Darcy Parish is still a chance to line up for the Dons in Round 1 against Hawthorn despite a hamstring issue, with the midfielder coming off a personal-best pre-season.

Prolific Essendon midfielder Darcy Parish will “give himself every chance” to get over a hamstring issue in time for Saturday’s blockbuster season-opener against Hawthorn.

It comes as the Dons get set to put more trust in young bull Sam Durham.

The Bombers have not put a line through Parish’s chances of facing the club’s traditional rival, with the all-Australian to be put through his paces later in the week.

Ruck Sam Draper will also be monitored late in the week.

Midfield teammate Will Setterfield said there was still hope the ball magnet would be right to go.

“They haven’t ruled him out … I think he is a chance,” Setterfield said of Parish.

“I hope he is out there because he had a bloody good pre-season and was going really well and played well in the praccy match. He missed a chunk of footy last year with his calf and he would have been itching to put a full season together so he will definitely give himself every chance.”

Whether Parish plays this week or not, he is likely to spend big minutes alongside Durham this year.

The youngster has been a standout through most of summer and gathered two clearances and 14 disposals in limited minutes in a pre-season loss to Geelong.

With Jade Gresham (St Kilda) and Xavier Duursma (Port Adelaide) joining the Bombers over the off-season, the depth in Brad Scott’s midfield group has rapidly expanded.

“I think we just need to find the right balance in there,” Setterfield said.

“Zachy (Merrett) is one of the best midfielder in the comp, as is (Parish) in there.

“(Durham) is a really good power running a good athlete and a bit of a bigger body.”

Setterfield said he had “almost forgotten” about the foot injury that derailed his debut season at Essendon last year, ruling him out form round 9 to the final game of the season.

The former Blue and Giant has not missed a session over summer and said he was ready to play in front of a packed crowd at the MCG, with the Bombers hoping to tip over 80,000 fans.

“That’s the beauty of playing at a massive club like Essendon, we have a massive supporter base and really passionate fans and that is certainly something we love and want to thrive on this year,” he said.

“It is the absolute beauty of playing for a club like Essendon.”
Setters has been flying under the radar a bit imo. I do think he compliments Parish as well.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He probably shouldn't play, just give him the extra week. Trust Caldwell, Hobbs, Tsatas and Durham to pick up the slack.

Trust in the depth we think we're building.
Its not often you get an opportunity to test the depth against bottom 3 opposition, so agree with this.
Admittedly, we're not that much better, but this is the game to give Cox a chance to show if he can replace Ridley. And Tsatas to cover Parish.

Assume Durham, Hobbs and Caldwell were always going to play

If there's even a shadow of a doubt I'd prefer we look after him and only bring him back when he's 100%.

It will be a good opportunity to get some midfield minutes into Caldwell, Hobbs and Duz.
Agree. Do not need to see him in round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back