AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I dont think very far from top 5.

Parish is to light and gets rag dolled to easily in contests for me. Parish is a good above average player. He does most things well but doesnt posses anything really exceptional about him, he doesnt do much wrong either. But the other guys are match winners or consistently very very good.

Missing from that list which are already better than Paris:

- McGrath
- Fantasia
- Tippa
- Smith

By the seasons end I would expect the following to also be above Parish - :

- McKenna
- Begley
- Saad

Everyone on these two lists have a much higher ceiling than Parish does, especially Tippa Fantasia Begley & McKenna who all poses elite traits in some form already and if they continue to develop at current pace could easily become elite by seasons end. The continued significant development of these guys will see our team catapult into contention ( pending game time & remaining injury free ).

Actually think that Parish may come under significant pressure from guys like Guelfi to retain his spot in the 22. By seasons end he may not necessarily be a guaranteed a spot in the team.

Nice to see alternate views, but man do I disagree.

Kid is a third year midfielder that in his second season was already comfortably in the best 22 of a finals side.

I'd suggest if he's struggling to hold a spot he's either stagnated badly, or we'll have comfortably the best side in the league.

In fairness to Mad Bomber Sean, his name does reference the word "Mad" (just messing with you mate ;)).

In all seriousness, I believe Parish is primed to have a solid 2018:
  • 2016: First year player whom was thrown in the deep end by playing in the guts, as a result of the saga
  • 2017: Moved to the HF role and learned from some of the more experienced players. Also developed additional skills
  • 2018: A dedicated slot is open for him in the middle, he's stronger, smarter and more experienced.
Provided he stays healthy, I can't see any reason why he'd struggle this year.

Based on his recent posts in other player threads it just seems to me he likes other players better and for them to do as well as he hopes someone else is going to have to miss out and it looks like Darcy is the marked man for reasons that seem to me to be mostly subjective twaddle that's more than likely based on preconceived biases whether conscious or unconscious such as:
  • too light and gets rag dolled too easily in contests
  • doesn't posses anything really exceptional
  • not a match winner
  • not consistently very, very good
  • has a much lower ceiling than others
  • does not possess any elite traits or traits that could easily be elite by seasons end
  • not much better than above average
  • good without being great
That's my take on it at this stage but I haven't been to training so I could be completely wrong I guess..

Based on his recent posts in other player threads it just seems to me he likes other players better and for them to do as well as he hopes someone else is going to have to miss out and it looks like Darcy is the marked man for reasons that seem to me to be mostly subjective twaddle that's more than likely based on preconceived biases whether conscious or unconscious such as:
  • too light and gets rag dolled too easily in contests
  • doesn't posses anything really exceptional
  • not a match winner
  • not consistently very, very good
  • has a much lower ceiling than others
  • does not possess any elite traits or traits that could easily be elite by seasons end
  • not much better than above average
  • good without being great
That's my take on it at this stage but I haven't been to training so I could be completely wrong I guess..

latest

If Parish has a few bad games and it coincides with a few losses then yes he will be dropped.

However im a pretty big fan of Darcy i still think he can develop his Hard edge, killer instinct a little.

The reason hes so fixated as a best 22 player is because of his pure midfield ability. Outside of Zerrett, himself, Mcgrath we have guys who are either not natural mids or proven in the area (Begley, Stringer, Smith, Laverde, Langford) or are on the older side (Myers, Goddard, Zacka, Heppell). Parish ia so implrtsnt to our future midfield as the rest of the guys under 25-26 are yet to be proven or not natural mids.

Interesting reception to my comments.

I never said Parish was a bad player. However I still think that the new guys will make sure he isn’t an automatic selection and shock horror he may not be automatic first 22 by seasons end.

Only a few players in this team are worthy of that.

Daniher / Hurley / Merrett / Fantasia / Tippa / Heppell / Hooker
/ Goodard / Stringer / Smith

To the rest you need to keep on working very very hard. In fact all of you need to keep working extremely hard. ( especially Francis)

As for Parish, I hope he proves me wrong & grows into a great player...
just not so sure.

I never said Parish was a bad player. However I still think that the new guys will make sure he isn’t an automatic selection and shock horror he may not be automatic first 22 by seasons end.

To the rest you need to keep on working very very hard. In fact all of you need to keep working extremely hard. ( especially Francis)

just not so sure.

Will be in the best 22 and will get better this year. Has had a strong start to his career and was often picked up by the opposition to cut out his link play through the middle.

just not so sure.

Well you're entitled to an opinion no matter how far off the mark I believe it to be. It'll just be better to see when Parish proves you wrong and becomes an integral part of the midfield and easily best 22...pressure from Matt Guelfi seriously? I hope thats the case because it will mean he has massively exceeded expectations but Parish is twice the player Guelfi will ever be.

I'd argue Darcy's ceiling is higher than some of them guys you listed. He's a pure midfielder that once strong enough will dominate. He's not going to be the prettiest or the most exciting player but he'll be consistent and at times the match winner. Not many midfielders have had the ability to sway games within two seasons. For the size he was when he got drafted and the consistency and endeavour to win the ball he's displayed so far to me is a future star just getting started. He has never shied from the contest, excellent stoppage prowess and great awareness which is only held back by size and fitness. There would need to be dramatic improvement from a lot of our team for Parish to be battling for a starting 22 position.

Wow I don't think you are going to find much support on here for your viewpoint. I think you're a bit crazy to even suggest he wouldn't be guaranteed a spot in the team. He's been a starter for his entire first 2 years. He's only gotten bigger, stronger and fitter since then.

I'd say of the guys aged 25 and under that it would go: Daniher, Zerrett, McGrath, Parish, Fantasia as the order of the most talented.
I think Parish will have a breakout year as a full time mid. No way will guys like Saad or McKenna end up better.
Agree with all that, but Parish more talented than Orazio? No chance. In terms of pure talent on that list, I’d go: 1. Daniher and Fantasia. 3. Zerrett, McGrath, 5. Parish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'

just not so sure.
Realistically, for Parish not to be in the 22, 4/5 of Langford, Laverde, Begley, Mutch, Clarke, Guelfi have had breakout years, our entire midfield group are injury free and Parish has seriously stagnated this year. The odds for that happening aren't good at best, so the sceptism is pretty fair.
No one is more bullish on Begley than me, and I think he will absolutely be a better player than Parish, but that's minimum 2 years away. He won't be doing any meaningful midfield minutes this year to put any pressure on Parish's place anyway.

Parish has never played a "bad" game with Essendon, not even in his first season. Now all of a sudden, there's a chance he's going to string enough bad games together to be dropped from the side? Or that he'll somehow stop improving at 20 years old and let everyone else on our list pass him by?

******* spare me.

Agree with all that, but Parish more talented than Orazio? No chance. In terms of pure talent on that list, I’d go: 1. Daniher and Fantasia. 3. Zerrett, McGrath, 5. Parish.

I can't believe you would put Fantasia together with Daniher. Daniher is head and shoulders above the rest for a start as far as talent goes. As for Orazio - I love him but he's never gonna build any strength on that frame of his (I still remember the comical scene of him swinging his fists while an opposition player held him in place comfortably) so that causes me to rank him lower despite his x-factor, nous around goals and speed. Its important to remember that Parish is only 2 years into his career as well. Orazio hadn't showed nearly as much 2 years in.

I’d squeeze Stringer behind Daniher.

I am not getting the justification for the questioning of Parish place in the best 22, the guy in a short time has established himself as an important clog in the mid-field, he might not be the most important but for mine he would have to drop off badly before getting dropped and I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Parish has never played a "bad" game with Essendon, not even in his first season. Now all of a sudden, there's a chance he's going to string enough bad games together to be dropped from the side? Or that he'll somehow stop improving at 20 years old and let everyone else on our list pass him by?

******* spare me.

He clearly has had 'bad' games at Essendon. Certainly games where he has had minimal impact.

It's clearly wrong to suggest that he's at risk of losing his spot - assuming normal improvement for a 3rd year player he should be well entrenched in our best-22 - but it's also clearly wrong to suggest that he's never played a poor game.

I like fighting for the underdog so I wanna back up maddie. But I just can’t really. Parish has shown zero signs that he will do anything other than improve steadily. Let’s face it, he is one small step from being one of the most exciting young mids in the comp. I do agree that his weapons are not obvious but those sort of players are always around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back