3 Things you learnt vs. Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1. Structure is king. No make that Structure is Emperor, King, Queen, God, Allah and Jesus in one. It is the sound of one hand clapping and a tree falling in a forest when no one is around.

Well enough mixed metaphors and cliches. Stuff whose ready and whose not. The pig headed stubbornness of Ken to not put structure ahead of those in (questionable with several players) form has cost us any chance of top 2 and probably top 4.

2. Our list is still massively unbalanced. We have an overload of small / medium defenders and small forwards. Harsh cutting / trading of ones from the likes of Stevenson, Heath etc. where some deserve another year must be done. Our list is so out of kilter as the injuries the last 3 games have shown that we can't be sentimental.

3. Mitchell and S. Gray are definite rookie list material. It's an improvement from when the likes of Thomas was praised for being one of the few to put in an effort, but they've become barometer players, IMO. If they are considered good enough to get games, then our list isn't as good as it appeared.

4. Ok, 4 things! For all the doom and gloom, one of our biggest problems is our list is still one of the youngest and it shows. Our players are still a pre-season or two away from being really strong enough to break all the tackles they should and stick all the ones they should. This has been made worse from having to come from so far behind due to Falloon. Aerobic fitness is the easiest to address. Then anaerobic fitness. Which has been done well the last two years. Players strength takes the longest to address though, as it can only really be down over pre-seasons not in season like the aerobic/anaerobic.

Also our skills are still not at the level of the top sides.
Our progression IMO has been:
Pre-Ken - s**t skills, s**t strength, s**t fitness, players lack resolve, too many slow players
2013 - s**t skills, still poor strength, good fitness, players have resolve, too many slow players
2014 - Ok only skills, strength a bit better, but not yet there, good fitness, players have resolve, faster players

Players still need another pre-season or two of skill work to get near the Hawks, Swans, Freo and Geelong (senior players).

If we get players back and a structure we still will need to win asymetrically, as we won't win on skills and strength. We weren't using those to beat the top teams earlier in the year - it was spread, run and fitness.

1. Didn't take long for that old numbness to come back. 2 weeks running we've blown our selections but this time I'm not even mad.

2. Credit to Richmond. They clearly stumbled this year but they're getting there. Rance is excellent, a form Riewoldt-Vickery tandem would put the heebie-jeebies up anyone and when they're focused and actually playing with purpose Cotchin and Martin are destroyers of worlds.

3. If we don't respond on Thursday night with some sort of structural improvement Paul Roos and Melbourne are a strong chance of choking us out just as Essendon did.

1) we made Tyrone Vickery look good
2) TYRONE VICKERY
3) WTF
Vickery is a decent player, if Butcher was persisted with like Tyrone was he'd probably be that perfect AFL standard cover for Schulz like Vickery is for Riewoldt.

I'd be more concerned that we made Pettard look good, what a disgrace to let that spud play like that.

Pretty much the exact same things as I learnt last weekend
1- we are not a top 4 team this year unfortunately
2- Still have a long way to go and a lot more improvement to do
3- (didn't learn this this week but) Boak is a great captain.

Actually I'm going to add something.

I sort of wish we played to everyone's (supporters and outside Port) preseason predictions of 6-10th on the ladder but instead we have far exceeded expectations and raised the bar. Lots of fickle supporters showing their true colours out there. If we had been 8-10th the whole year, they wouldn't think much of this game but instead they are extremely negative about the club.

Our clearance work is trash.

Our tackling is weak.

We literally have no forward structure.

We play chippy chip in the back line and stuff it up.

Matty White's goal from half back was brilliant but he had no one to kick to.

I've learned how important Trengove and Carlile are.

Think about this. You take them out, then the other guys have to take on bigger responsibilities, then we lose strength in other areas extracting the ball from the defense. Ken said our game starts from defense, so its obviously having an effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think i read our inside 50 kicking is ranked 18th in the 2nd half of the season, but not even that was the reason we lost today, richmond missed some gimmes as well

If Mitchell and S.Gray get a game next week, i'll have to force myself to rock up, you have to wonder what would have been if Clurey and Newton had come in freeing up Westhoff

Richmond ran harder, i lost count how many times richmond out numbered us at the contest, just like last week and the week before that

Also luck plays a huge part in this game, but that is no excuse one week it bounces for you, the next for them, we were beaten by the better team on the day.

Mitchell is an OK sub
Mosquito Fleets are not in fashion.
Richmond are a better side than I gave them credit for

I sort of wish we played to everyone's (supporters and outside Port) preseason predictions of 6-10th on the ladder but instead we have far exceeded expectations and raised the bar. Lots of fickle supporters showing their true colours out there. If we had been 8-10th the whole year, they wouldn't think much of this game but instead they are extremely negative about the club.
Sadly, I have learnt the same thing. Our run at the top had many sitting us higher for the year than we possibly really were, but the response to what may be our true norm is a little disappointing by some.

I don't think it's unfair to raise your expectations of the team when they demonstrate how good they can be. I would rather be in the position we are then be floating around ******* 10th place.

1. Richmond were really offended by White kissing the jumper earlier in the year.

2. Headclashes should be free kicks against Port according to Richmond fans

3. Matt White is pretty fast.

1. I don't know why Richmond save their best form for us. I don't know why some of their struggling players seem to kick into another gear against us either. Chaplin shifted forward and kicking goals against us is just a sorry sight.

2. I'm not sure if we're an overrated, underdone side, or whether we're just having a bad month in football and back-to-back losses are making us forget how good we can play. We've had no blowout losses this year, and kept losses to respectable margins, if we'd only done things differently we may be sitting another 2 wins clear.

3. This year is less enjoyable than 2013. Last year seemed to be about winning when no one expected us to, and making comebacks to win games. Maybe King is right, maybe we do have big heads. Do our players even hurt after a loss like this, does it really piss them off to lose, I should hope so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back