Player Watch #35: Harry "Coleman" Petty – the answer to our KPF woes?

Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Lever Petty May
HB: Salem Tomlinson Rivers
C: Langdon Petracca Brayshaw
HF: Pickett McDonald ANB
FF: Spargo B Brown Fritsch
R: Gawn Oliver Viney

I/C: Jackson Harmes Bowey Sparrow Hibberd Dunstan Hunt Jordon

This is the best 22 + extended interchange for mine. Weideman and J Smith just on the outside as replacement depth that isn’t consistently proven AFL standard, waiting with Melksham for specific injuries or multiple players to drop away. Becomes very hard to score against us if May and Lever can control the airwaves and mop up at ground level without having to worry about a genuine tall.

FB: Lever Petty May
HB: Salem Tomlinson Rivers
C: Langdon Petracca Brayshaw
HF: Pickett McDonald ANB
FF: Spargo B Brown Fritsch
R: Gawn Oliver Viney

I/C: Jackson Harmes Bowey Sparrow Hibberd Dunstan Hunt Jordon

This is the best 22 + extended interchange for mine. Weideman and J Smith just on the outside as replacement depth that isn’t consistently proven AFL standard, waiting with Melksham for specific injuries or multiple players to drop away. Becomes very hard to score against us if May and Lever can control the airwaves and mop up at ground level without having to worry about a genuine tall.

Very very tall backline which is a concern, add lack of speed

No chance Tomlinson and Petty play together unless injuries to May and Lever

Out of the GF side i would push out Hibberd and add in Hunt, Tomlinson for Petty (for now)

if it was a choice between the two then i'd keep Petty in the team over Tomlinson. Petty's the future, so i wouldn't mess with his development by not playing him now that he's up and running.
Tomlinson can be tall defender/wing depth. he's 29 next year and coming off an ACL which usually means another year of footy to find best form again, so Tomlinson might just be a bit player from here on out.

Tomlinsons form to start the year was insanely good, Petty is a better interceptor but Tomlinsons 1v1 work was amazing which enabled May to play a lot looser. When Petty came in I feel May assumed more of a stopper role as Petty is also a decent interceptor but nowhere near as good 1v1 as May is. I do think Hibberd probably doesn't make it into the team if we are playing four talls.

Very very tall backline which is a concern, add lack of speed

No chance Tomlinson and Petty play together unless injuries to May and Lever

Out of the GF side i would push out Hibberd and add in Hunt, Tomlinson for Petty (for now)
May and Lever can both play small, and neither lacks pace. They're all mobile tall defenders, and four talls isn't that big of a deal in modern footy given the importance of intercepting. Tomlinson and Petty playing FB/CHB allows May and Lever to focus on intercepting while playing on smaller players, and you still have Rivers, Bowey and Salem to rotate through from the GF side, plus Langdon and Brayshaw pushing back.

Richmond won a GF with Rance, Grimes, Astbury and Broad who are all 192cm plus. May is more than capable of playing small when he's not worried about a big forward. The Eagles had three key defenders and Shannon Hurn at 31yo and 187cm in 2018 but May can do pretty much everything Hurn does, him being six centimetres taller doesn't make much of a difference.

Speed in the backline is overrated at any rate - our defenders didn't break lines by running this year, it was mostly through neat kicking.

Lots of talk about Steve and rightly so, but Petty is becoming almost as important. He’s gone down multiple times the last couple of weeks and the opposition goal barrages have coincided with that. He’s now playing with a mummified leg, an AC joint injury and a foot problem and he’s still solid as a rock.

Goodwin waits til there’s 3 minutes in the season left to pull the trigger and what do you know. One contested mark, one goal, one goal assist.

******* shameful

Not as much as this year's real finals series will affect you.
This Is Cool GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petty & JVR up forward can't be worse than the deck chairs we shuffled this year.
Worse?? Those two would kick 90 between them if played forward all year next season. As I’ve been saying for months, go get Logue as part of the LJ deal and sit him at FB!

Worse?? Those two would kick 90 between them if played forward all year next season. As I’ve been saying for months, go get Logue as part of the LJ deal and sit him at FB!
I like that idea. Petty is so good down back though but he and JVR could transform our F50 woes next season. Our pressure forwards were terrible this year too. Our pressure rating was quite possibly last all year when we were in the Top 4 all of last season. Bizarre drop off. Fitness/Hunger? The team got stale quick. Need to make some changes

Showed more in 5 mins as a KPF than any of our others all year.

It'd be bold to play him there from here on in but unless we bring in a readymade one during the trade period, it might have to be done.

Turner or Tomlinson or J Smith can go back instead.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Griffin Logue ffs. Kid is a natural full back, wants to come to Vic despite being a Perth boy, and Freo want currency

I endorse him having a run up forward - but s**t I love him down back too. Am I an idiot to think Lever up forward makes just as much sense as Petty up forward? I am aren't I? Or am I? Aren't I?

I endorse him having a run up forward - but s**t I love him down back too. Am I an idiot to think Lever up forward makes just as much sense as Petty up forward? I am aren't I? Or am I? Aren't I?
Yeah idiot, Lever needs a clear run at it thats the opposite of what forwards get.

Simple answer, we need 2 x Petty's, one back and one forward. Surely amongst the Melbourne faithful at least one of you is capable of cloning a human?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back