Delisted #4 Ryan 'The Clamps' Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

uITEbjYC.jpg

Ryan Clarke

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans recruited Ryan Clarke from North Melbourne ahead of season 2019 and he’s since shown promising signs as a young midfielder. The number four is a prolific ball-winner and can also be used to blanket a star on-baller, which he proved last year in shutting down gun Kangaroo Shaun Higgins and classy Magpie Steele Sidebottom. Clarke played 14 senior games in a stop-start 2019 campaign and has set his sights on cementing a spot in coach John Longmire’s best 22 this year. Draft history: 2015 National Draft selection (North Melbourne), No. 31 overall

Ryan Clarke

DOB:17 June 1997
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT:2015
RECRUITED FROM: Rowville (Vic)/Melb Grammar (Vic)/Eastern U18/North Melb

Last edited:
Same could be said for literally every forward. 'Oh you kicked 6 goals from 6 touches? Well you wouldn't have had a touch if you didn't kick a goal.'

You're a harsh marker, Kingy. I'd say a defensive forward shutting down his direct opponent and hitting the scoreboard, getting double digit possessions and not wasting a single one is better than "solid".

fair point re the goals

that 15 m though, but yep you are right he still kicked them ; didn't mean to take away from the game , he was good last night

i always would never deny he tries , as does say Callum sinclair

but to me both of them will have way more ordinary games than good and won't add to a good side long term, just my opinion. I also accept that's why i'm on here giving my views and not working at the club :p

Defensive forward could be a role that works for him.

The case: We've tried Wicks, Ronke and Hayward in this role at various stages over the past few years, each with degrees of success but also with too much disappointment. It's a role that requires discipline (something that Wicks can lack), selflessness (something that Ronke can lack) and consistency (something that Hayward can lack). Clarke offers all three of these and, in the nicest way possible, not much more.

It's a role that doesn't necessarily require physical strength in the form of tackles (Clarke is poor at tackling IMO) but more closing down the space for the outlet half back to get loose and rebound. This is just basic, disciplined manning up. I also think it's a role you'd give to someone who you don't want getting too much of the ball, and with all due respect to Clarke, he fits that bill.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but I reckon we should give him the same chance to make it work that all the other blokes got.

Think the performances of he, Fox, and Stephens last night are very important for the blokes in the twos as well. It's a pertinent reminder that if they can continue chipping away and take their opportunities when they come that they can feasibly play a role in the first team's fortunes this year and beyond.

I 100% agree with this point

Defensive forward could be a role that works for him.

The case: We've tried Wicks, Ronke and Hayward in this role at various stages over the past few years, each with degrees of success but also with too much disappointment. It's a role that requires discipline (something that Wicks can lack), selflessness (something that Ronke can lack) and consistency (something that Hayward can lack). Clarke offers all three of these and, in the nicest way possible, not much more.

It's a role that doesn't necessarily require physical strength in the form of tackles (Clarke is poor at tackling IMO) but more closing down the space for the outlet half back to get loose and rebound. This is just basic, disciplined manning up. I also think it's a role you'd give to someone who you don't want getting too much of the ball, and with all due respect to Clarke, he fits that bill.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but I reckon we should give him the same chance to make it work that all the other blokes got.

Papley was much more active defensively over the weekend than he has been lately to my eye as well which reduced the impact of not having Wicks/Ronke/Bell in the side upon our defensive pressure up forward. Perhaps the coaches gave Papley a bit of feedback that he's got to step up his game after being pretty limited defensively for quite a while (see a post I made in another thread last week for those numbers) and due to not having the Wicks/Ronke/Bell guys in to do it for him.

Simply must play until his form dictates otherwise. Honestly been a bit like Nick Smith if he was a forward in his 2 games. Completely nullified two very good players.

I stil think having him play a lockdown role on Hind could have been the difference last week.

Simply must play until his form dictates otherwise. Honestly been a bit like Nick Smith if he was a forward in his 2 games. Completely nullified two very good players.

I stil think having him play a lockdown role on Hind could have been the difference last week.
Finally we have found the heir to Dean Towers' throne.

not sold on him, but i admit i dont really rate the negative tagger type role

but what he does have is heart and he has imo sharpened disposal up a bit

its 2 games, but 2 good games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sold on him, but i admit i dont really rate the negative tagger type role

but what he does have is heart and he has imo sharpened disposal up a bit

its 2 games, but 2 good games
Sharpened disposal ALOT. Would cringe when ball was in his hand. He's a changed man.

Imagine if oppos put a tag on someone like Blakey for us. A lot of our drive goes.

2 games, 3 goals and his rebounding opponent was blanketed. Keep him in until form says otherwise imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back