Player Watch #40: Eddie Ford

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, at one point I’m like ‘oh, bold move Clarke. Ok, I see what you’re trying to do. Give them a string of games together. Build some continuity. Get them to 50, 70, 100 games , alright, alright I see the development taking form which you keep talking about’ next week young developing player’s dropped. Wat.

There’s no reason guys like Hardenman shouldn’t be playing if we’re giving other guys the luxury of games.
I couldnt agree more . Why drop Hardeman. 🤦‍♂️

Just because you're talented doesn't mean anything at AFL level unless you do the hard work. As a coach once said, you only have the ball in your hands for so many seconds during a game; what you do during all the other time is just as important.

Unfortunately at NMFC, we have allowed players to get away with not doing the hard work.

I am huge fan of Ford as he could be anything at AFL level given his natural football talent. And he should be showing much more by this stage given that talent.

And Clarkson may be all smiles in public, but I am sure he is having the difficult conversations with him in-house

Just because you're talented doesn't mean anything at AFL level unless you do the hard work. As a coach once said, you only have the ball in your hands for so many seconds during a game; what you do during all the other time is just as important.

Unfortunately at NMFC, we have allowed players to get away with not doing the hard work.

I am huge fan of Ford as he could be anything at AFL level given his natural football talent. And he should be showing much more by this stage given that talent.

And Clarkson may be all smiles in public, but I am sure he is having the difficult conversations with him in-house

He could at least learn in the seniors with the 15 other blokes who don't work hard enough without the ball though. I bet Larkey loves Ford not playing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cam doesnt work hard enough when he doesnt have the ball.

Opposition players continually run off him.

Cam only decides to chase, after the opposition player has sprinted up the ground and is 10 metres away, receiving the handball...

Meanwhile, Cam is 15 metres away in a casual jog.

Channel 7 should give him a camera, at least he would get some great footage of the defender streaming away, setting up another forward entry.

Forward pressure? LOL whats that?

Cam doesnt work hard enough when he doesnt have the ball.

Opposition players continually run off him.

Cam only decides to chase, after the opposition player has sprinted up the ground and is 10 metres away, receiving the handball...

Meanwhile, Cam is 15 metres away in a casual jog.

Channel 7 should give him a camera, at least he would get some great footage of the defender streaming away, setting up another forward entry.

Forward pressure? LOL whats that?

Unfortunately it's contagious

For all the criticism against all the players, it's 1st year under clarkson and a coach would is going to stick around for a fullseason and not bugger off within 18 months.

Another year of experience plus pre-season will improve the playing group cohesiveness, key word group.

AFL is nothing but an excercise in getting the right group together.

Yeah, that's one of, well the reason I don't mind if Zurhaar leaves. He's sposed to be providing leadership down forward, drafted five years earlier than Curtis. The example you set is contagious. In Cam's case its a poor one.

I never really noticed it before that game in Hobart, which the first live game I'd been to since before covid, but its one of those things you can't unsee. Really wanted him to stay before that. Now I don't.

Mind you if he played like he did at the start of last year I'd probably change my mind.

I love Curtis but it's not Zurhaar's fault he doesn't chase in those situations. It's been a lowlight of his game since before he was drafted.

I made the point in the autopsy thread that we carry way too many players who have weak defensive application in our midfield and forward half. And way too many who have great strengths but not even serviceable in their deficiencies.

You make statements at selection to really set standards. That should apply to PC, Zurhaar, Ford, all of them. If we had just one decent proper small forward we could bring him in and drop those who don't put in. But we're so thin that we can't do it.

I love Curtis but it's not Zurhaar's fault he doesn't chase in those situations. It's been a lowlight of his game since before he was drafted.

I made the point in the autopsy thread that we carry way too many players who have weak defensive application in our midfield and forward half. And way too many who have great strengths but not even serviceable in their deficiencies.

You make statements at selection to really set standards. That should apply to PC, Zurhaar, Ford, all of them. If we had just one decent proper small forward we could bring him in and drop those who don't put in. But we're so thin that we can't do it.
Last year after being dropped PC would chase players all the way to the opposition goal line. Wouldn't catch them but at least he made the effort.

Probably a good time to give the whole team a bit of a mid-week bake on this topic. Set a standard and, if need be, make an example of someone if they half-arse a chase against Port.

I just don't think most of our list is fit enough to run out games so they just will not chase and use up there gas tank which isn't high to begin with. And when they do get the chance to tackle it is easily shrugged off as there weak tired tackles

Our entire forward line is a pressure-less abyss. There was a moment in the third quarter where two Essendon players fumbled it between them for an age as Zurharr kind of stood there and Shiels busted a gut but looked like he was running in quicksand. Any half competent team forces a stoppage at the very least and even that would have been frustrating. Instead they eventually cleared it.

It can’t go on like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back