Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - Twomey reporting 1yr extension - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like what I saw of Kal Dawson last year. I’d be very happy to see him given an opportunity of Friday. You’d think he’d take Curnow and Corr will have to take McKay. goldy/Hugh dropping back to help out. Hope he goes well again

Well this'll be a hell of a baptism. JZ's gonna have a ******* crucial role this week in regards to long balls

Carlton aren’t gonna be prepared:cautiousv1:
Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars
Its A Trap GIF

Kid Kallan has played 4 games, think you guys have high expectations.

We will see I suppose

True, but he is a 24 year old mature age player who was brought in through the MSD to have an immediate impact, either with games or as a depth player. If we aren’t even using him as a key defender when we have no other options (round 1 and potentially this week), then it really doesn’t bode well for his future.

Pretty sure he is only contracted until the end of this year.

True, but he is a 24 year old mature age player who was brought in through the MSD to have an immediate impact, either with games or as a depth player. If we aren’t even using him as a key defender when we have no other options (round 1 and potentially this week), then it really doesn’t bode well for his future.

If he doesn’t get a game this week then he’s not in Clarko‘s long term plans..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he doesn’t get a game this week then he’s not in Clarko‘s long term plans..
I think it's a very reasonable conclusion that if Bonar plays this week instead of Dawson, then the latter doesn't figure in the list build. Personally, I thought he was good in the VFL on the weekend, and would pick him - we know what we've got with Bonar (for better or worse), whereas Dawson against Curnow would be a fair test of whether he (dawson) can get to the next level

I think it's a very reasonable conclusion that if Bonar plays this week instead of Dawson, then the latter doesn't figure in the list build. Personally, I thought he was good in the VFL on the weekend, and would pick him - we know what we've got with Bonar (for better or worse), whereas Dawson against Curnow would be a fair test of whether he (dawson) can get to the next level

Putting aside why Dawson has been banished to Siberia (no idea why on that one) I think Bonar is seen as a guy with big upside by the coaches if he can get it to click.

Both Noble and Clarkson have given him a go as soon as he's available, by all reports he trains well and has strength, speed, skill and can aggressively play his role.

Reckon Clarkson wants to see him eliminate the rookie errors from his game and will reward him with a regular starting spot when he does.

Putting aside why Dawson has been banished to Siberia (no idea why on that one) I think Bonar is seen as a guy with big upside by the coaches if he can get it to click.

Both Noble and Clarkson have given him a go as soon as he's available, by all reports he trains well and has strength, speed, skill and can aggressively play his role.

Reckon Clarkson wants to see him eliminate the rookie errors from his game and will reward him with a regular starting spot when he does.

The tentativeness and lack of physicality (not saying he is soft), is the main reason why Bonar won’t make it. He has all the athletic traits but doesn’t have that killer instinct to use them all the time.

The tentativeness and lack of physicality (not saying he is soft), is the main reason why Bonar won’t make it. He has all the athletic traits but doesn’t have that killer instinct to use them all the time.
Physical intent and thinking too much kill him in some contests. Can affect his disposal and run too.

From I am led to believe we don't see him as a KP, more a third-tall type. Not sure they ever had an immediate impact in mind for Kid Kallan in a side that finished in last spot in his draft year.

I don't mind if he comes in although again word on the street is he still has much work to do. It will be interesting to see, I firmly believe we'll come up with a plan to counter our lack of defensive KP's.

Has no mongrel about him

From I am led to believe we don't see him as a KP, more a third-tall type. Not sure they ever had an immediate impact in mind for Kid Kallan in a side that finished in last spot in his draft year.

I don't mind if he comes in although again word on the street is he still has much work to do. It will be interesting to see, I firmly believe we'll come up with a plan to counter our lack of defensive KP's.

If we didn’t see him as a key defender then I have no idea why we picked him. Especially when we have plenty of depth in that area (Corr, McDonald, Ziebell, Bonar ect).

His intercept marking is solid, but you wouldn’t want the footy in his hands regularly as he is prone to torch it by foot.

No doubt he has a long way to go, but the cupboard is bare and we need mature bodies in the back half that can compete with Carlton’s tall forward line.

Back Curnow in for 6+ goals if Bonar or Ziebell is the answer.

I called this at the time. Way too slight of frame for a KPD, despite his height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back