Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

l see this as a win, win situation... is Zuurhar stays it good for the club and shows that he thinks that we are on the right track but if he leaves and he wants to play in finals then Fremantle would be the place to go and we will end up with a tier 1 pick plus if we finish 17th then we may get pick 2 and 3 again...

Ok, but he has kicked goals at times even in this era of low inside 50's. So im not sure if there is causation there. Our inside 50's are on the up and up now. And im not saying he wont but he'd certainly want to become more consistent if the reason he's inconcsistent is put on the rest of the team.
Your point is fair. All I can add to counter is that in those years Larkey didnt kick 71 goals. We were super Larkey oriented last year.

l see this as a win, win situation... is Zuurhar stays it good for the club and shows that he thinks that we are on the right track but if he leaves and he wants to play in finals then Fremantle would be the place to go and we will end up with a tier 1 pick plus if we finish 17th then we may get pick 2 and 3 again...
Exactly like the Mckay situation.
It means Zuurhar can take a big offer and not feel he's letting us down or he stays which is also great for us.
For the ship Mckay coped he didnt leave us empty handed, far from it and for that im thankful. Dont begrudge him taking a bigger deal at all.
However, someone like LDU, a mature mid just hitting their prime that would hurt no matter what.
Some smart list management by North.

I think this offer signals that we'd be likely to match any RFA short of band one.

As you'd assume he would leave to a contender, the mid-late first round pick we'd get back in that scenario would roughly be his value. However, I'm leaning towards him staying at the moment.

Zero Hanger article

North offer monster contract to star forward: AFL Trade news​

Will Cam Zurhaar stay at Arden Street or seek a move to a rival club?​

North Melbourne has reportedly offered free agent Cam Zurhaar a five-year contract to remain at the club.

Zurhaar - who will arguably attract the most attention the longer he remains unsigned - has put contract talks on hold until later in the year.

The Western Australian has gone on record saying he'd look to see the growth and trajectory of the club before making any decision.

However, the Kangaroos have been quick to put the deal in front of the gun forward, with AFL Media's Cal Twomey revealing the news.

“Essendon had interest in him a couple of years ago, the WA clubs (West Coast and Fremantle) have watched him as well," Twomey said on SEN.

“But the Roos have been on the front foot and have offered him a long-term deal for five years to stay at Arden Street.

“He's weighing up that career call. He wants to see some progress and advancement at the Roos."

The 25-year-old's name has reportedly popped up across Sydney's desk, with the club having rich success in luring big names to New South Wales.

Zurhaar's manager - former Richmond and GWS player Brett Deledio at Mac's Sports Productions - has denied such interest, saying: "I have not received one phone call from anyone at the Giants, nor Sydney," earlier this month.

Deledio did admit that his client Zurhaar is keen to find on-field success in the near future, stating: "He's won 25 of out of those first 99 that he's played."

"Let's hope the promise the Roos are showing eventuates and they start to win some games of footy.

"The state of play is that he's contracted this year. I'm just going to play a very straight bat here; he's waiting to see improvement and what the growth is (at North Melbourne).

"Things are looking up but it's going to be a slow burn."

Zurhaar said ahead of his 100th game in Round 1 that it's "pretty ridiculous" that questions about his contract were being asked before the season had begun.

"I'm really happy at the club at the moment, I can't fault it at all. I just want to play the best footy I can and hopefully, we play finals soon," Zurhaar said.

It is pretty ridiculous to me. I know it is going to happen, it happens every single year and I'm just the subject this year."

Despite the 0-2 start to 2024, the Kangaroos have shown glimpses of team brilliance, including leading Fremantle by 33 points in Round 2.

North Melbourne will take centre stage on Good Friday, when they host Carlton at Marvel Stadium.

If he leaves it'll be for another Melbourne club, he's about the furthest thing from a go home kid

Honestly, Zuurhar’s thoughts on the club being on the right track mean absolutely f all in my opinion.

Larkey gave it a massive reference on SEN, so if someone like Zuurhar whose consistency isn’t on the right track is hoping to see how North’s tracks, happy to do the bmac treatment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zero Hanger article

“Essendon had interest in him a couple of years ago, the WA clubs (West Coast and Fremantle) have watched him as well," Twomey said on SEN.
My favourite line. West Coast and Fremantle are the W.A. clubs? Really? I thought Claremont and Subiaco would be the W.A. clubs that were interested in him.

Low-key don't want him to accept.. Band 1 for him would be crazy good business. On the other hand I hope the coin isn't too much if he does accept, ultimately it's a win-win I guess.

Don't laugh Jai won a silver medal at the 2000 Olympics jumped nearly 8.5m and held the Australian record for over a decade.
I'd completely forgotten about Jai Taurima, just looked him up on Wikipedia he's 51 bloody hell, 2000 Olympics is so long ago, I think I need to go for a lie down.

Nope.

It’s purely your average yearly salary for the duration of the contract with an age weighting which impacts on your ranking.

$900k x 1 year is better than $899k x 10 years

However they are looking at altering this, with weighting given to your ranking based on contract duration, but it hasn’t been implemented yet

You need to be ranked in the top 40 to trigger Band 1.

There is no fixed number, it floats based on the salary and age ranking of the 40th player in the league

Okay, i take your words on that. Im quite confident that our offer will get us the band 1 and so to beat us, others need to offer more.

Sounds like Ben McKay who was also loving his time at the club. Ironically enough, Ben ,like Cam,was hoping to see some improvement on field . It’s these players that should be leading from the front and making us more competitive

Sounds like Ben McKay who was also loving his time at the club. Ironically enough, Ben ,like Cam,was hoping to see some improvement on field . It’s these players that should be leading from the front and making us more competitive
I've seen Zurharr seem genuinely depressed and hurt by our onfield standards in interviews, don't recall similar from Mckay (then again I sure as s**t wasn't going to watch his podcast with his brother!) Then there's there onfield personas, where Zurharr is clearly a borderline feral with his competitiveness.

In some ways I don't blame mid career players wanting to play for a club that actually wins games and plays finals. We have been 5hit for too long with too many disastrous decisions and broken promises along the way. Would hate to see CZ go, but I understand. Won't stop me booing him but I do understand.

In some ways I don't blame mid career players wanting to play for a club that actually wins games and plays finals. We have been 5hit for too long with too many disastrous decisions and broken promises along the way. Would hate to see CZ go, but I understand. Won't stop me booing him but I do understand.
Everyone's different I guess.

Larkey, in his interview with Dwayne, talked about how much more special and satisfying it would be to achieve success at North rather than having it handed to you.

Hope Cam feels the same.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

It’s these players that should be leading from the front and making us more competitive
Exactly, which ironically was the point that Clarkson has already made. If they want to see success, then how about putting in performances that will lead to it? Not half-hearted 1 goal 15 possession games and going missing for large portions. We're getting nowhere near enough from the mid-aged players and it's an indictment that we're relying on 1st and 2nd year kid's to try and pull us over the line. I'd be making that point to all the 23-27 aged players that are looking at results.

Everyone's different I guess.

Larkey, in his interview with Dwayne, talked about how much more special and satisfying it would be to achieve success at North rather than having it handed to you.

Hope Cam feels the same.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I get that - but it's all promises and hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back