Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

Very inconsistent and a selfish player - has been throughout his career. Occasional good piece of individual play but generally alot of meh.

His sort of 'averageness' - not great as a forward, not smart enough to play a lot of midfield minutes - would not be tolerated for long in a top 4 club - he would have been weeded out by now.

And his attitude of ..I want to see the club improve before I sign ...tells you alot about his character.

If another club wants to pick him up great - I'd take band 2 for this bloke.

Most overrated player on our list. I said we should think about trading him last year, nothing I have seen this year makes me think he’s indispensable.

X, Larkey and Powell have stepped up as “senior players” to carry this group. LDU had a dirty day but this is not the norm. Cam is all sizzzle no sausage.

You know that moment when you're just hopping onto the freeway, foot down, grab a sneaky 110 then back to the 100 and cruise control .... thats this fella. Bye.
I drive a diesel, but watch out for the SUV drivers. They own the road, according to them

Looked like ripping the game apart and then our mids and defence couldn't get the ball down our end of the ground.

19 touches, 10 contested, 3 cracks at goal, won 3 stoppage clearances with minimal mid tike, 6 tackles, fourth highest metres gained for us. All while playing as our second, severely undersized key forward for most of the game.

Had some selfish moments but * we are harsh on him in here.

Tell ya what if I was playing half forward and that was a 'down' game I'd be pretty *ing rapt.

Last edited:
Looked like ripping the game apart and then our mids and defence couldn't get the ball down our end of the ground.

19 touches, 10 contested, 3 cracks at goal, won 3 stoppage clearances with minimal mid tike, 6 tackles, fourth highest metres gained for us. All while playing as our second, severely undersized key forward for most of the game.

Tell ya what if I was playing half forward and that was a 'down' game I'd be pretty *ing rapt.
We're being harsh on him because the young blokes need guys like Cam to show the way. Perform to an elite standard.

They are not doing that. The criticism is warranted. Our senior players collectively were shocking today.

He isn’t 19 anymore.

He is 26 this year. Needs more consistency and to produce more. Very flaky footballer

We're being harsh on him because the young blokes need guys like Cam to show the way. Perform to an elite standard.

They are not doing that. The criticism is warranted. Our senior players collectively were shocking today.

He isn’t 19 anymore.

He is 26 this year. Needs more consistency and to produce more. Very flaky footballer

What more do we want from a guy spending 85% of his game in a weak team's forward line?

Genuine question.

What's the standard he needs to meet to not be flaky playing that position?

Is it 25 touches and 3+ goals a game? That'd win him a Brownlow from the forward line which would be a fair effort.

Two selfish moments where he should have looked inboard but backed himself to ignite something are all I can fault with his game.

He led well. He led out of Larks' space. He provided a strong stoppage presence in the forward 50. He nearly clocked 20 touches playing as a forward.

He bobs in and out of games because he plays the hardest position in one of the worst sides in the comp. It's just straight up gonna keep happening and anyone short of Leigh Mathews would face the same problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is most of those cracks at goal burnt players in better spots, a lot of the disposals were under immense pressure due to him overcooking it when there were options available.

Stats do not tell the story for Cam tonight. I'll grant I'm being harsher on him than others but he's a senior player that is not setting the standard and he's certainly not alone there.

It's also frustrating because they are problems that have plagued his entire career. His best games have been when he actually has his head on a swivel and scopes things out. His worst are when he thinks he's Modra but he's actually closer to Mitch Hahn.

What more do we want from a guy spending 85% of his game in a weak team's forward line?

Genuine question.

What's the standard he needs to meet to not be flaky playing that position?

Is it 25 touches and 3+ goals a game? That'd win him a Brownlow from the forward line which would be a fair effort.

Two selfish moments where he should have looked inboard but backed himself to ignite something are all I can fault with his game.

He led well. He led out of Larks' space. He provided a strong stoppage presence in the forward 50. He nearly clocked 20 touches playing as a forward.

He bobs in and out of games because he plays the hardest position in one of the worst sides in the comp. It's just straight up gonna keep happening and anyone short of Leigh Mathews would face the same problem.
I honestly reckon he didn't have much impact. The stats stuff is misleading. Lazz and Ford had more impact and they have far less experience.

He stuffed up multiple opportunities and when the game was dead it was easier for him to get a little more of the ball.

He didn't kick the goals he should've, didn't find the teammates he should've, and based on that it's a bad game. We got done by 9 goals and some of that is on him.

Our senior players suck or don't play to an elite standard. End of.

Surprised by the negative comments in the thread re his game today, came here to say I thought he gave it a crack today - mainly highlighted by his 10 contested possessions. What more do we want a HFF who plays as a quasi undersized CHF most weeks in the worst preformed club of the last 5 years to do? He had 19 touches, presented well for 5 grabs and a goal + played up the ground and netted 3 clearances from stoppages. I liked his game, and as always brought the aggression.

I honestly reckon he didn't have much impact. The stats stuff is misleading. Lazz and Ford had more impact and they have far less experience.

He stuffed up multiple opportunities and when the game was dead it was easier for him to get a little more of the ball.

He didn't kick the goals he should've, didn't find the teammates he should've, and based on that it's a bad game. We got done by 9 goals and some of that is on him.

Our senior players suck or don't play to an elite standard. End of.

Well if we're going off the vibes of how we felt he impacted then I disagree big time.

Honestly, some times it's even hard to blame him for just trying to do it all himself. Would you trust half the bludgers out there?

I have him firmly in the "not an issue" pile. There's rough edges still but his selfishness has improved over the years (he used to be a glory hog even halfway up the ground for heavens sake), he doesn't fly for anywhere near as many marks at the same time as Larkey which implies his (and lark's) forward work has improved, and he's improved his fitness enough to be a bloke you can put on ball for a couple minutes a quarter to have an impact.

Now, that said... That doesn't mean he gets a blank check for his next contract. But I'm also not going to give him s**t for seemingly holding us at ransom and demanding the team's fortunes improve, seems obvious to me he's trying to get more out of himself and it's all well and good to say he should stay for his mates but if he's a competitor and feels ******* miserable being in a loser team then I aint blaming him for wanting out at the end of the year.

Issue with him is lacking awareness, below par footy IQ and finishing.

It's glaring when you see how slow he is to make a decision at times compared to Sheezel (who is at the opposite end of the spectrum).

I hope West Coast offer him a big deal and we get band 1. We know they don't have a salary cap - especially when they are down and the AFL wants them back up and around.

Might be another way the AFL help us out without looking like they are helping us.

Zurhaar is too inconsistent. Always a nearly player that shows glimpses. yes yes "we can't keep giving up our senior players" but if they don't contribute i'd rather a young player that does - wardlaw, sheez, and colby all already offer more. They're already better leaders too.
He wouldn't want to go to WCE
They are further behind in their rebuild than us.

They are in for some heavy defeats in the years ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back