Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve seen Rioli take a decent hanger in the VFL this season, so he can do it. But it doesn’t seem to be a big part of his game.

Interesting to hear Balmey yesterday saying words to the effect Rioli is very exciting and they love what he can do, but there are still lots of little things missing from his game that he will add over time. That’s how I see him as well, not quite a finished AFL footballer yet, but fantastic attributes that will get him there.
He’d have huge scope to improve fitness and structures awareness ,,, I did notice when we won possession off hb he would bolt toward deep f50

Very quickly becoming a fan favorite, if he's not already.
Nothing like youthful exuberance, excitement, and that smile and joy you can see when he plays. It's infectious amongst the group.
When you're talented and put in maximum effort like he does as well, you very quickly endear yourselves to the fans.
Next week 80% of this board will be s**t canning him if he doesnt play well this week - nothing surer

Next week 80% of this board will be s**t canning him if he doesnt play well this week - nothing surer

Hopefully Richmond supporters can be realistic with young Maurice. As a 19yo, he can’t just be expected to pass every single test AFL football will throw at him. He is going to play on some very good players. I personally would be surprised if he just sails through the whole AFL season without going back to the VFL at some point.

Last edited:

At this stage of his development, I do expect he will have mixed form, and probably will still have periods where he's out of the side or goes back to the VFL to work on something.

But that's perfectly fine for a kid, the graph might be up and down but the overall trend of development will be up.

The AFL statisticians are taking the piss at 3/4 time it says MRJ has had 2 tackles....WTF???? He's laid at least 10. It's not like he can easily be confused with a teammate either.

Another good game to show what potentially we have in the future. His efforts were outstanding today.

He’s still a baby , don’t be comparing him to 200 game players he’s played 5. Several nearly moments , dropped a couple of marks I thought he was about to swallow , overran a ball or two and the first clean ball he trapped and put on the burners he was unlucky to be clamped in a good tackle . I reckon he’ll get another game in Dreamtime , he ll need to do more to hold his spot ,, good luck kiddo

He is 19 years old with 5-6 games these games will happen and the ball didnt roll his way today

Keep him and play him for few more games and invest time into this kid - He has what it takes

1st Dream Time game means alot to these boys and would love to see all our indigenous players played next game

Just adds and builds our culture and the bond between the players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So incredibly stoked that maurice will experience his first dream time game this week. Also being a contract year for dan, i dont think he will go, but still going to be a great moment for them and the family. What a moment. The rioli name, the biggest in footy!

He is far too soft for the top level at this stage. He has zero physical presence in a contest.
He does a lot of things that aren't a stat such as pressure causing a turnovers and 2nd efforts. I noticed our opponents panic handball/kick when Rioli Jr is about to tackle them. Sure he doesn't physical presence but keep in mind it's like his 2nd year and will put on strength as years go by.

Agree 100% he needs to be taught some basics about trying to spoil in a marking contest. Im sick of seeing him watch his opponent mark the ball.
Yeah I was shocked at that. He just watched his opponent mark the ball with zero attempt to spoil. Think Clarke could be worth a look.

Yeah I was shocked at that. He just watched his opponent mark the ball with zero attempt to spoil. Think Clarke could be worth a look.
Yeah that was the moment I cracked the shits, I turned to my family and said he could have at least tried to spoil the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back