AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas - Signs a two-year extension! - 22/2

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to be that guy, but he looks way off it. Always looks rushed and like he's going to turn it over every time he gets it. Kicking technique is still woeful and doubt it will ever change
Playing wing is not really his go. He is a genuine ball hunting midfielder.

With all the focus on his poor kicking, his disregard for defensive positioning and how he can't tackle it's easy to forget about how injury prone he is.
Angry Adult Swim GIF

Sorry, but I don’t see how a guy with his kicking action goes top 5 in a draft.
I'm going to have to agree with that. Parish was a bad kick, but I always thought he had the scope of improving it if he worked on it so top 5 made sense for him.

Tsatas though...

Yikes. His kicking action makes me really worried and I really don't see how he was rated that highly with such a fundamental flaw. Many point to Phillipou or Humphrey, but I think Ginbey was the one that should have been top 5. It was so easy to see that he would translate his game at AFL level.

I'm going to have to agree with that. Parish was a bad kick, but I always thought he had the scope of improving it if he worked on it so top 5 made sense for him.

Tsatas though...

Yikes. His kicking action makes me really worried and I really don't see how he was rated that highly with such a fundamental flaw. Many point to Phillipou or Humphrey, but I think Ginbey was the one that should have been top 5. It was so easy to see that he would translate his game at AFL level.
At Essendon “Obvious selection” goes on the con side of the board

I do think Tsatas will turn out to be a match winner though.

At Essendon “Obvious selection” goes on the con side of the board

I do think Tsatas will turn out to be a match winner though.
Except he was the obvious selection. To literally every draft watcher.

You were right about Zach Reid also.

Wait…

Zero patience amongst fans these days.
I can not be expected to go at better than the league standard of good which is around 65% :cool:

In all fairness I have never said he can not play. My question mark on obvious choice was on his very poor defensive efforts and total lack of effort to even position himself to do anything. Given how we are very poor at team defense and numbers of competitive animals I wondered if he was the obvious choice for us.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except he was the obvious selection. To literally every draft watcher.
Look I’m a fan. I think we needed to prioritize potential for true A grade performance. I still think that Tsatas has maybe the highest ceiling of that draft, though there will always be some doubt as to whether he can get there, until he does.

What I really mean by obvious is ready-made. Ginbey was very much what you get is what you see. We did that with Parish & Hobbs and I guess you could make a case for Perkins, but that’s about it from memory in terms of high picks of recent memory.

Sorry, but I don’t see how a guy with his kicking action goes top 5 in a draft.
Because people like Twomey pumped him up so much in his draft year when the actual fact was he’s a terrible kick and always has been. He doesn’t like contact either. For a kid that has so much upside athletically it’s a pity he can’t get the basics right.

I'm surprised by the comments here?

He had 24 touches yesterday, and that was his 4th game?

Finding the ball and getting disposals is difficult to teach and he naturally has that. He is also tall and athletic. If he can work on his disposal he could become very good?

I'm surprised by the comments here?

He had 24 touches yesterday, and that was his 4th game?

Finding the ball and getting disposals is difficult to teach and he naturally has that. He is also tall and athletic. If he can work on his disposal he could become very good?
24 touches, very little impact on game.

Needs to play inside at VFL level and develop physicality and aggressive mindset.

Because people like Twomey pumped him up so much in his draft year when the actual fact was he’s a terrible kick and always has been. He doesn’t like contact either. For a kid that has so much upside athletically it’s a pity he can’t get the basics right.
Doubt Brad Scott particularly wanted him because of anything to do with Twomey. At the time Scott had been here for about five seconds. Drafting Tsatas instead of Philippou is still the only 2022 offseason decision that he’s been credited with influencing.

He’s not a grunt midfielder, he’s a burst power midfielder
Yep . If anyone is expecting inside grunt then they have the wrong bloke.
Think more Adam Treloar.
Burst away from stoppage or quick hands .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back