5 players already signed by GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

There was also a group set up to modify the compensation pick for certain players if the equation spitted out a compensation pick that was not deemed worthy.

I would think a pick after there first and a pick at the end of the first round Melbourne would be happy with? More likely a pick after there first and a pick after the second round??

I'd guess this is what they'll end up with. No way is he worth only a pick after their first pick. But getting pick 1 would disadvantage all the following clubs too - so will never happen IMO.

I wouldn't think they'd be living in Rooty hilll or Blacktown.

If I played or worked for them I'd stay here in th eEastern subs probably a little further south such as the Bra or Botany even along the bay other San Souci & such at the times they'd be going using toll roads trip to rooty hill approx 45 mins or so & homebush less

Some nice spots around Homebush (concord/breakfast point)close enough to city by car & p transport can get to beaches easily either direction. Easy to get out to rooty hill, easy enough to the airport.

Hills district (kellyville/rouse hill) bit far to head to the airport every 2nd week but some will like it (I wouldn't) not far to training at rooty hill or homebush

Camden an option for some also some nice spots lower blue mountains if you are into it. Semi rural golf coarses etc same issue re airport easy enough to get to training though

Northern beaches & Sutherland shire beaches ok for homebush depending on where about on beaches if close to Mona vale rd sweet use that & lane cove rd you'll have a reasonable trip by car. Bit further for Rooty hill but M2/M7 handy once of LCR. Airport pain, Shire handy to airport thats about it not massively bad for homebush, rooty hill a bit further.

I'd go east though as every second week you'll be on a plane so Botany/Maroubra (M5/M7) easy for training & close to airport for travel & some great beaches & golf coarses near by & plenty of stuff to do.

As I understand it GWS are setting up a campus style arrangement for their young players drafted from interstate at Breakfast Point.

http://www.breakfastpoint.com/realestatewaterfront.htm

While it looks a bit "plastic" a lot of the Gold Coast could be termed similar and this sort of lifetyle may attract some of the young blokes.

Either way I don't think the sort of money these blokes will be getting will have them living in dodgy places out west.

great post x2 :thumbsu:

It was, but there were alot of if's and buts about the whole thing though. That seemed like best case scenario, and hopefully it plays that way, but even the guy quoted left it open for many variables.

Strike that, Best case Scenario for you would be that its all bullplop.

That being the case, perhaps the Dees would receive compensation which would be more commeasurable to the type of player they have just lost, such as a number one overall pick??

GWS will get the first 3 picks, you wouldn't get a pick early than that, they want the top end talent at GWS. They will likely give you 4 plus something extra probably second round pick. Most clubs did not get fairly compensated for the players they lost, they just got something to help ease the pain.

All clubs signed off on it, hard to feel sympathy given the ridiculous benefits the new clubs were given.

Considering what the Cats got for Ablett, you would be lucky to make off with pick 4 as compensation.

he was a number one draft pick, we used a pick designated in general for the best young talent in the land... so that he could have a career at our club and so that we could build our team with and around him

how is that, in any way, shape or form, not a massive investment??

we could have picked martin, butcher, morabito or a number of other players... who may very well have not left us

It's the chance every club takes

Do we select someone from interstate?
Do we take a chance on a known injury?
Do we select based on performance or potential?

There are no guarantees beyond the term of a contract, nor should there be, these are people, not an acre of land.

And yep, if GWS get Carlile or someone else important for Port I too will be annoyed, but what can we do?

It's the chance every club takes

Do we select someone from interstate?
Do we take a chance on a known injury?
Do we select based on performance or potential?

There are no guarantees beyond the term of a contract, nor should there be, these are people, not an acre of land.

And yep, if GWS get Carlile or someone else important for Port I too will be annoyed, but what can we do?

indeed it is a chance, but we didn't select an interstate player... i would hardly think that tom walking out on us was in the club's thinking

Looks like Rich is also fielding offers.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/chasing-get-rich-quick-scheme/story-fn6e0tx4-1225980091236
Collingwood trio Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury and Dale Thomas, Geelong champion Jimmy Bartel and Carlton midfielder Marc Murphy are all possible targets for GWS.

But Rich is remaining tight-lipped about the road ahead.

"I don't know, it's hard to say," Rich said when asked about re-signing with Brisbane.

"I'm happy at the moment and you can only live in the now, but the way footy is these days anything can happen, you just don't know."

Scully
Rich
Murphy
Pendles/Thomas/Swan
Bartell

It's a fair list even if they only land 2 of that with the raft of draft picks to compliment and some b graders we no doubt don't know of.

They cant sign everyone, they will get at most one of the three Collingwood players, Bartel, Murphy and Scully, they wont get anymore then one of them becuase they wont be able to afford it, It will be like GC, where they got one star in Ablett and a bunch of b graders.

They cant sign everyone, they will get at most one of the three Collingwood players, Bartel, Murphy and Scully, they wont get anymore then one of them becuase they wont be able to afford it, It will be like GC, where they got one star in Ablett and a bunch of b graders.

Pretty obvious there. They're only ALLOWED to take one uncontracted player without dealing with the club first.

That article is 6 weeks old now.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/daniel-rich-committed-to-lions/story-e6frepf6-1225997601644

"I love the club and I love playing with all the boys, we're a family up here in Brisbane and definitely I'm looking forward to years to come at the footy club," the left-footer said.
"Young list, good leaders, good coach, the footy club is on a good track so I can't wait to push forward and win a premiership in years to come."

Of all the players targeted, he's the only one that's come out and said the next best thing to signing another contract.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/daniel-rich-committed-to-lions/story-e6frepf6-1225997601644

No chance of getting lets say Thomas, Bartel, Murphy and Scully. To get any of those players they'll have to pay absolute top dollar, ie $1m+ per year, which means those four players would be taking up half of their salary cap.
Not a chance, it would completely cripple them for the next 3 to 4 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty obvious there. They're only ALLOWED to take one uncontracted player without dealing with the club first.

pretty sure he meant one of;

three collingwood
scully
murphy
bartel

grouped together

No chance of getting lets say Thomas, Bartel, Murphy and Scully. To get any of those players they'll have to pay absolute top dollar, ie $1m+ per year, which means those four players would be taking up half of their salary cap.
Not a chance, it would completely cripple them for the next 3 to 4 years.

The rest of the players on the list will be either be rookies or VFL types for the first few years, just like GC. They will have to be a bit creative after that point but you have to use 92% of the cap anyway. I think aiming for a handful of marquee type under 23s is the way to go actualy.

Not sure Thomas should be in that range either.

Hey puppetmaster. You will get compensation, probably a top five draft pick if Scully leaves. Everyone else is in the same position. And as you guys tanked to get him anyway, it wouldn't really be that unfair.

Hey puppetmaster. You will get compensation, probably a top five draft pick if Scully leaves. Everyone else is in the same position. And as you guys tanked to get him anyway, it wouldn't really be that unfair.

no, we won't

no, very few are in the position of losing a high pick, let alone a number one pick from a 2009 or later draft

we tanked, but that got us trengove... scully was always going to be our first pick

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

1.Tom Scully
2.Marc Murphy
3.Mitch Clark
4.Josh Hill
5.Alipate Carlile

Others possible.
Taylor Walker
Rhys Palmer
Scott Pendlebury
Beau Waters
Danyle Pearce

3AW Whispers were reporting that Greater Western Sydney had already signed 5 players from other Clubs. Who do you think they are:-

My guess is,

Tom Scully,
Marc Murphy,
Dane Swan,
Daniel Rich,
Trent Cothcin.

A lot of Melbourne teams will feel the pain like Geelong did last year.

Free Agency is here is a big way.

What are other people's thoughts?

Anyone know anything else.

2 issues with Murphy.

1. He won't go interstate, he declined to be drafted by Brisbane as a father son pick because he didn't want to leave mummy.

2. Why would they want to pay big money for a medium paced front running outside mid who's as hard as a junket sandwich and can't kick straight:confused:

2 issues with Murphy.

1. He won't go interstate, he declined to be drafted by Brisbane as a father son pick because he didn't want to leave mummy.

2. Why would they want to pay big money for a medium paced front running outside mid who's as hard as a junket sandwich and can't kick straight:confused:

Because Sheedy is coach. He filled the Essendon list with exactly this type of player!! Seems like Murphy is a shoe-in ...

I will be anticipating around june, july and August. We will see who will be picked. I remember Last year when Nathan Bock got signed to the gold coast. It was announced when the crows still had 3 games to end their season. I reckon if some teams are out of the finals by rounds 18, 19 or 20, some players will be announced. Then you hear the bloody rumours flying around.

I still think Mitch Hahn and Quentin Lynch will head to the GWS. Only reason im thinking that is because both are around 28-30 and GWS need A couple of Experienced players to go there short term.

Just to be taken cheaply traded in exchange for a compo pick in to 40s to help start up the club along with some of the under 25 year old players gws will get. Gold Coast got Fraser pretty cheap. GWS will try and keep as many good picks as possible to get some good kids.

Im certain A Sydney Swans Player will head there as well. Im just thinking who. Preferably Another NSW local.

I also got a gut feeling both SA clubs will be poached. I reckon Ali Carlile will go if they offer good cash as hes a good defender. Last Year the media was talking about Kurt Tippet Heading to the gold coast but Bock went instead. Taylor Walkers name will be metioned through the season But I got a gut feeling it will be another crows player. Dont know who though.

Maybe a Petrenko Kevin Sheedy has a good track record of developing Indigenous Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back