Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

Selecting umpteen rookies effectively concedes your chances of winning , you’d only be in that mode if staring at back to back wooden spoons , we re trying to contend for finals so we re not about to adopt that damned fool approach

You can see his point though. Yes Pickett is 28 years old but he's playing like a rookie. Swapping him for another young player does not hurt the team.

He's doing a couple nice things each game but fading significantly in and out despite a lot of game time through the middle. He will often go long stretches of quarters without even being involved in the play.

10 disposals on the weekend, 7 disposals against the Magpies, 10 against Hawthorn etc. It's not good enough.

I thought he played his role well and deserves to stay in the team. He’s never been an accumulator of the footy.

I feel his strengths are his toughness, defensive attributes and X-Factor. Throughout his time in the WAFL and playing in the VFL last year he wasn’t ever an overly high possession getter.

He has had some good defensive moments in other games but Pickett had 1 tackle and only 5 pressure acts against GWS. That's very poor.

That was really the only thing he could hang his hat on for a game and can't imagine that effort would please Dimma. Again, I'm wondering why the bar is set so low for many for his performances.

You can see his point though. Yes Pickett is 28 years old but he's playing like a rookie. Swapping him for another young player does not hurt the team.

He's doing a couple nice things each game but fading significantly in and out despite a lot of game time through the middle. He will often go long stretches of quarters without even being involved in the play.

10 disposals on the weekend, 7 disposals against the Magpies, 10 against Hawthorn etc. It's not good enough.
That’s rubbish He’s not playing like a rookie , refer to naishs performance with lots of turnovers and nothing constructive. That’s what you gotta be prepared for playing rookies and that’s why you put 3+ together you’ll concede chances of winning . While his numbers haven’t been high he’s been constructive with his play and doesn’t * up rookie style ,, that’s why he won’t be dropped

He’s looked to me like a player still trying to figure out our game style and his role in the team. A couple of times I reckon he was caught between wanting to take it on and doing the team thing.
Definitely think he’s got the tools just needs a confidence builder and we’ll see him back in that GF form where he was playing on instinct

He has had some good defensive moments in other games but Pickett had 1 tackle and only 5 pressure acts against GWS. That's very poor.

That was really the only thing he could hang his hat on for a game and can't imagine that effort would please Dimma. Again, I'm wondering why the bar is set so low for many for his performances.
the game did seem to catch out most of our inexperienced players

people might trash talk GWS but they sit high on the ladder most years , play in plenty of finals are loaded with plenty of high end draft picks
I think the game will prove to be a good form line

but can see the game will have presented the match selection committee with a few headaches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I'm confused 🤔
He looks too relaxed when he has the ball sometimes. He got caught on the wing by Berry when he took too long to get rid of it. He often got caught holding the ball in the earlier rounds and opponents close in on him pretty quickly because he takes his time to get rid of it.

Watch how fast someone like Cotchin or Lambert disposes the ball. Marlion is a turtle in comparison.

It’s just an awareness thing. He’s still getting used to the speed of AFL and it has improved as the season has gone on but there were still glimpses tonight.

think he has found his spot on the wing, which is a position that is absolutely up for grabs. like others i agree his Hand to foot speed lets him down but he has a lot of other fantastic attributes that makes him best 22 for mine

did I see a blind turn in our defensive 50??
I think he's been really good the past couple and he's starting to believe. It's been mentioned a few times how hard it would be for all players this year, let alone those that have a reason to doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back