Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get me wrong he was really good today but we need someone to get in and under the packs.
Ross has the potential to gain 20 possessions. I still remember how good he was when Cotch was out earlier in the season.

That was early in the year tho before a pretty significant injury.

He got shown up a bit in the heat of the WCE game and has been solid not spectacular in his VFL finals. It’s a long year and he just turned 19.

Pickett impacted with every possession today and has all finals. He is composed and has the ability to create that extra half second of space that you need in finals. Plus he loves to tackle.

I understand if they go with Ross, he’ll at least have some idea what to expect. But I think Pickett would be a great choice.

Macca is the safe bet , though a good case could be put for Pickett being able to achieve at least macca General avg ~14p a game with potential for some game turning moments . He’s much closer to a game than most would have thought , 9 tackles wouldnt have done his chances any harm either

The way I read it watching him play is those dinky handballs people call them are just Pickett being on another level football brain and ability wise the boys in the twos can’t read his mind

Imagine him doing the same in the ones but to cotch/dusty/meatball/shedda

It’s a massive call to play him and it won’t happen they will take the safe option in ross or kmac

But really Pickett getting it 15-20 times>>>kmac/graham getting it the same amount

Macca is the safe bet , though a good case could be put for Pickett being able to achieve at least macca General avg ~14p a game with potential for some game turning moments . He’s much closer to a game than most would have thought , 9 tackles wouldnt have done his chances any harm either

Macca got dropped, has been in bad form many have said in the twos and has week off. Not ideal prep let alone a safe bet.

Pickett is a better like for like replacement for graham too. (super fast and skilled) inside mid instead of a winger

Either way it's going to be interesting. Marlion would be an amazing story.
I just think if he was in contention they would have pulled the pin on him during the game and taken him off.
Mcrae said with the game being close, there was no option to rest

Kmac is a hard big body that can run all day and continue to push up and present thats fresh
GWS have had 3 games in a row with 2 of these games going to the wire and the game against pies a hard slog
We will be looking to keep running until the last minute and pushing them when they are cooked

Out: Graham ( Wont make it) Nankervis ( really has not played well since returning and GWS only has Mummy who is struggling and we dont need a 2nd Ruck)
In : McIntosh Pickett/Ross

McIntosh is only there if Broad doesn’t get up. No way we bring him in to play wing again. The coaches have realised he’s bang average and Whitfield on codeine would still slaughter him. We will be fine without his 9 ordinary touches.

It will be Ross for Graham, assuming Graham doesn’t get up.

McIntosh is only there if Broad doesn’t get up. No way we bring him in to play wing again. The coaches have realised he’s bang average and Whitfield on codeine would still slaughter him. We will be fine without his 9 ordinary touches.

It will be Ross for Graham, assuming Graham doesn’t get up.

Has Ross played any good football since returning from injury?

First year player, teenager. Big risk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Below from the AFL website. Sounds like he is really in with a chance.

He was crowned the Norm Goss medallist in the Tigers' maiden VFL premiership win after his strong bid to be considered for a debut at Thursday's AFL selection table.
But with Jack Graham (shoulder) considered unlikely to face the Giants and Nathan Broad (concussion) to be assessed this week, Hardwick might have pencilled Pickett's name into his line up before the new Tiger blitzed the field on Sunday.

"I had a chat to [Hardwick] before the game and he had some clear instructions of what he wanted [with Pickett]," Richmond VFL coach Craig McRae said afterwards.

"I think if the game wasn't as tight, we might have rested a couple [late in the game] … but we played the minutes until the end.

"He hasn't played an AFL game but he plays above the VFL level and previously that's stood up at AFL level and players play well when they go up.

"He hasn't played and this is a Grand Final … but who knows, he's a great player and it would be a great story."

Personally didn’t think he was that good. Did a few nice things but hardly tore it up.
Ross is probably a better option but I haven’t given up on Jack
.......Jack Graham that is !!!

PS. Morris was standout BOG today.
Agree and RCD was also just as competitive . I’m not sure if he’s AFL material yet, especially an AFL GF for his first game. KMac and Ross were left out for a reason.

Last edited:
It would be the ballsiest call of all time to debut him in a Grand Final.

But I do like his slicing 45 degree kicks into the middle of the ground and the slick hands.

Not to mention tackle numbers..

TigerImposter i respect your opinion and I agree with you on RCD, he was brilliant, but I just think Pickett is a huge step above everyone else out there today.

I honestly don’t think he’ll get picked, my money is on Ross playing on Saturday, however I wouldn’t be upset if they rolled the dice on Pickett.

If we lost on Saturday and Pickett played I very highly doubt it would have been his fault.

The comments of some of the people in this thread dumbfound me.

Pickett was clearly a class above everyone else on that ground today.
He’s the type of player who could lift to another level with quality AFL players around him , but he’s only played a handful of VFL games and that’s where the risk lies. I thought his first quarter was very good and his class rose to the top in the last, but he was so so in between. Morris Beasley Egg and RCD were the glue when our midfield was getting towelled up.

TigerImposter i respect your opinion and I agree with you on RCD, he was brilliant, but I just think Pickett is a huge step above everyone else out there today.

I honestly don’t think he’ll get picked, my money is on Ross playing on Saturday, however I wouldn’t be upset if they rolled the dice on Pickett.

If we lost on Saturday and Pickett played I very highly doubt it would have been his fault.
You beat me by five seconds

He’s the type of player who could lift to another level with quality AFL players around him , but he’s only played a handful of VFL games and that’s where the risk lies. I thought his first quarter was very good and his class rose to the top in the last, but he was so so in between. Morris Beasley Egg and RCD were the glue when our midfield was getting towelled up.

Ross and Macca will be cold with a week off...

Pickett in BOG form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back