Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Had the 15th most shots per game on average this season in the competition. I question a lot of what he brings to the table especially relative to his best form but hard to question someone who is capable of hitting the scoreboard like he still can. Missed a lot of easy goals this year too, kicked the harder ones if anything. Would rather it be the other way around.

In saying that if the balance in the forward line is out assuming Dusty is playing next season then Jack is the first to vacate it with Cumberland, Bolton, Dusty and Lynch being the options as the relative is he doesn't provide much of an aerial contest these days.

I think Jack should go on but I think Miller should be used as a forward next season with rucking duties. You have to feel for him a bit, for 5 years he has been trained as a back and with 5 weeks to go in the season he became a ruck forward. Not once in the VFL did he play forward and might have had the odd ruck moment but not much more.

He has all the traits of a forward. 198cm with a big leap. Very fast, a great kick and very capable at ground level. You would not lose much in forward half pressure because he is like Broad and Grimes, very quick and mobile for his size. He was very fumbly and unsure in his first final, but if he trains all preseason as a forward he might actually feel like one.

Jack's days of pack marking are gone. He is still good one on one and on the lead and his pace has not dropped much.

Bauer looks like pretty good backup. Great hands and has some serious aggression which is a real asset as a forward.

Was looking pretty thin for key forwards half way through the season, but maybe not so now.

Allows us to maybe draft a real gun ball winning mid in the draft if we don't go for Taranto.

Slobbo reporting we are low balling him with contract offer

Given his work on 360 Jack probably relayed that to Slobbo personally
Low ball or just lower than before? I assume that Cotch and Jake take a pay cut for these one year contracts at the end of a career.
We better be careful Clarko doesn't snap him up. Like us and Tarrant

I've said it before i'll say it... again no one is bigger than the club no one, not Dusty not Jack..

We are bringing in an expensive trade salary wise/picks. Jack needs to understand this or he should just retire.
There were times he looked cooked this year & us playing a young forward for exp wouldn't be the worse thing.

Had the 15th most shots per game on average this season in the competition. I question a lot of what he brings to the table especially relative to his best form but hard to question someone who is capable of hitting the scoreboard like he still can. Missed a lot of easy goals this year too, kicked the harder ones if anything. Would rather it be the other way around.

In saying that if the balance in the forward line is out assuming Dusty is playing next season then Jack is the first to vacate it with Cumberland, Bolton, Dusty and Lynch being the options as the relative is he doesn't provide much of an aerial contest these days.
jacks goal kicking was unbelievable Thursday night , if the rumored 300k is our offer , that’s def the right thing in terms of list management ,,,I reckon with lynch dusty and jack we looked a bit flat footed at times , a watch point if dusty and jack return for ‘23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jacks goal kicking was unbelievable Thursday night , if the rumored 300k is our offer , that’s def the right thing in terms of list management ,,,I reckon with lynch dusty and jack we looked a bit flat footed at times , a watch point if dusty and jack return for ‘23
yeah the forward balance was definitely out of whack given dusty couldn't run through the midfield.

Jack really needs to decide what he wants to do next year. As he is slowing down & not as effective as his past years which is to be expected with his ageing body catching up. I also would like to see more games into Samson Ryan & maybe give Bauer a few games next season. We ultimately need to look to the future, so Jack may need to take a back seat next season on lower money if he wants to continue.

yeah the forward balance was definitely out of whack given dusty couldn't run through the midfield.
And the more ball that goes their way the less the likes of cumbo shai and mrj are involved , anyways smarter peeps than me will work it out and the obvious counter argument was scoring wasn’t the problem though plenty of our 63 i50s vanished on Thursday night

Lynch cant play as the only tall forward, hes about to hit 30 and will break down quickly if given that role. Surely we arent going back to Balta.

Also Dustys contested work was nowhere near the same this year as it was pre his bad injury. If he doesnt get it back he will have to play exclusively mid.

Lynch, Dusty, Jack is not only slow, it’s not a lot of pressure either. They need to rotate so they are not constantly playing on the forward line together

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lynch cant play as the only tall forward, hes about to hit 30 and will break down quickly if given that role. Surely we arent going back to Balta.

Also Dustys contested work was nowhere near the same this year as it was pre his bad injury. If he doesnt get it back he will have to play exclusively mid.
Based on this season, I think giving Miller a preseason training with the forwards could be a try. 2nd forward/ 2nd ruck.

Would have things to work on, but he has some of the attributes. And if Jack is still around, good guy to learn off.

Low ball or just lower than before? I assume that Cotch and Jake take a pay cut for these one year contracts at the end of a career.
We better be careful Clarko doesn't snap him up. Like us and Tarrant

2 main points of difference. Tarrant wanted a chance to play finals. Also as a defender Tarrant's never earned big $$$'s. Jack has also played for 16 years, at least 12 of which he's been amongst the top paid players in the league. The rich list had him at about 50th highest paid player at about $700k add his media money and he's doing pretty well. People forget a big part of the reason Dusty toured GWS after his 4th season is because the club disgracefully lowballed him (less than we were paying Conca) when he'd been phenomenal and clearly was gonna be a superstar. Dusty never made big $$$$'s until he signed that monster deal. Cotchin, Deledio, Riewoldt were always extremely well paid past their rookie contracts. For mine I reckon $200k for each of Cotchin and Riewoldt is more than fair after all the club has paid them majority of their contracts.
Guns like Rance, Vlastuin, Grimes, Short, Houli, even Bolton, have been massively underpaid for many years. It's not going to hurt them to take unders for 1 measly year where I don't see them being guaranteed starting 22. If Riewoldt's already playing games trying to get Slobbo the Hut to bump his salary up via the media, then it's not a bad idea to move him on. Ryan, Miller and Bauer need to be given the same opportunities that Cumberland has to see who can stand up at the level with improved delivery. If none show promise McKay's a Free Agent who the Blues won't be able to afford, would be lethal with Lynch seeing out his twilight years on the oppo's 2nd KPF. Riewoldt's goal average was good, he did some smart things but bloody hell he did plenty of dumb s**t this year. gave away so many blatant frees, stupid 50's, dove, flew unrealistically and spoiled a lot of Lynches marks.

Brisbane v Richmond

DISLIKES​

1. Jack and Dusty

Jack Riewoldt has been offered a contract that would see him be paid about $300,000 if all goes well, and the champion forward is likely to accept the offer. It’s a lowball offer, but that’s life for a veteran, even if you have been critical to three premierships. He’s been told it’s his decision, and he respects that, but even the most confident people like to be told they are wanted. Talks will be held in the coming days. The talk about Dustin Martin leaving the Tigers is, say the Tigers, the greatest media beat-up since, well, the last great media beat-up. More convincing is that Martin himself has told friends he is staying at Punt Rd. Anyway, which club could pick up a $1.3 million contract for a player who has, at the moment, lost his mojo? It’s not happening.

He can as he has showed since 2019 which was the last time Jack was a threat in the air. Teams have been double teaming Lynch most weeks ever since.

300k isn't peanuts, especially considering the media opportunities Jack has. Would love him to stay on more in a mentor role tbh, we get more out of him working with Ryan, Bauer, Miller etc than we probably get from him on field next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back