Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

300k isn't peanuts, especially considering the media opportunities Jack has. Would love him to stay on more in a mentor role tbh, we get more out of him working with Ryan, Bauer, Miller etc than we probably get from him on field next year.

& with all this hullabaloo - wonder where it leaves Cotch, his contract & his $ value at the club. Expect to hear more in the coming days

Brisbane v Richmond

DISLIKES​

1. Jack and Dusty

Jack Riewoldt has been offered a contract that would see him be paid about $300,000 if all goes well, and the champion forward is likely to accept the offer. It’s a lowball offer, but that’s life for a veteran, even if you have been critical to three premierships. He’s been told it’s his decision, and he respects that, but even the most confident people like to be told they are wanted. Talks will be held in the coming days. The talk about Dustin Martin leaving the Tigers is, say the Tigers, the greatest media beat-up since, well, the last great media beat-up. More convincing is that Martin himself has told friends he is staying at Punt Rd. Anyway, which club could pick up a $1.3 million contract for a player who has, at the moment, lost his mojo? It’s not happening.

Jack and Cotch have to appreciate they're nearing the end of their career. I think the club is showing them gratitude and respect by offering them a contract at all. While definitely less than they received at their peak, a 300k contract is far from an insult. I think this is just Robbo trying to go in to bat for Jack when Jack is not even asking for it. He really does hate Richmond.

And Robbo - the Dusty trade talk IS a HUGE Media Beat up. Don't try and downplay it because you were a big part of that. Dusty was had a tough year and the media made up a story to sell papers knowing he would never come out and say it's all bullshit because he hates the media. I wish the media were held more to account for these types of things.

& with all this hullabaloo - wonder where it leaves Cotch, his contract & his $ value at the club. Expect to hear more in the coming days
Similar thing. By the end of the year I'd be surprised/a little concerned if he's best 22, and think his value is more in his leadership and experience as a mentor than onfield output.

We've got guys like Stack, Graham, Dow, Ralphsmith, Banks, Clarke, + potentially Taranto coming into the side. You'd be hoping that those guys forcing their way in shuffles some magnets around and Cotchin might find it hard to hold a midfield spot.

It would be heart breaking to see Jack in another clubs colour's.
He is a club treasure, and will take his spot in our hall of fame once the career is done.
It really comes down to playing for a pea hearted club for a few extra $$, or finishing one's career with the club and fans that love him.

Jack and Cotch have to appreciate they're nearing the end of their career. I think the club is showing them gratitude and respect by offering them a contract at all. While definitely less than they received at their peak, a 300k contract is far from an insult. I think this is just Robbo trying to go in to bat for Jack when Jack is not even asking for it. He really does hate Richmond.

And Robbo - the Dusty trade talk IS a HUGE Media Beat up. Don't try and downplay it because you were a big part of that. Dusty was had a tough year and the media made up a story to sell papers knowing he would never come out and say it's all bullshit because he hates the media. I wish the media were held more to account for these types of things.
$300k is not a lowball ffs. Maybe looks that way when you're comparing to greedy ol buddy asking for way overs

$300k is not a lowball ffs. Maybe looks that way when you're comparing to greedy ol buddy asking for way overs
It’s only a lowball in the sense it’s less than what he would be able to get from another club

But it reflects where he, and our list currently sits and the need to invest in young talent and not older heads anymore

It would be heart breaking to see Jack in another clubs colour's.
He is a club treasure, and will take his spot in our hall of fame once the career is done.
It really comes down to playing for a pea hearted club for a few extra $$, or finishing one's career with the club and fans that love him.

Jack and Cotch are crucial drivers to our culture. We can't afford to have them feel disenchanted by the club. I would hope they can see the bigger picture and realise the stage they are at as players and the role we need them to play. I'm certain that they actually do. I really just think this is Robbo trying to drum up a fake news story.

Jack and Cotch are crucial drivers to our culture. We can't afford to have them feel disenchanted by the club. I would hope they can see the bigger picture and realise the stage they are at as players and the role we need them to play. I'm certain that they actually do. I really just think this is Robbo trying to drum up a fake news story.

Love jack and cotchin but I'd be disappointed if they wanted more than that.

Even if he does decide to play for another club I don’t think the decision would be a financial one, he seems like he’s already well on his way into transitioning into a media career that would be pretty lucrative as well

The decision would be more about Jack probably wanting a new personal and professional challenge

Don’t think he would leave and would hate to see him in other colours but wouldn’t hold it against him either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if he does decide to play for another club I don’t think the decision would be a financial one, he seems like he’s already well on his way into transitioning into a media career that would be pretty lucrative as well

The decision would be more about Jack probably wanting a new personal and professional challenge

Don’t think he would leave and would hate to see him in other colours but wouldn’t hold it against him either

Unless it's the Tassie team I don't buy this new challenge BS

Unless it's the Tassie team I don't buy this new challenge BS
It’s difficult to put into words but I see it as him wanting to help bring that Richmond DNA and culture into a club that might need that help

Staying at Richmond where he is already extremely respected by both the playing and coaching group would be the easy choice to make but starting in a new environment would be the challenge, some people like to push themselves and test themselves

Not saying he would and I don’t think he would want to but I can understand why that might also be appealing to him as well

Jack is so hungry on a dollar. Go and play someone where else is it’s about the money.
What a terrible take man.

It is pretty well known in footy circles that Freo come hard at Jack in 2012 or 13 with big money. He also signed a new contract in 2016 or 17 then extended before that contract was done to allow the club to spread out his payments when Lynch come in.

He is a pure Richmond man.

What a terrible take man.

It is pretty well known in footy circles that Freo come hard at Jack in 2012 or 13 with big money. He also signed a new contract in 2016 or 17 then extended before that contract was done to allow the club to spread out his payments when Lynch come in.

He is a pure Richmond man.
He’s a Richmond man but its well known he loves a dollar. He’s been well paid at Richmond and is on his last legs…. If he doesn’t wanna accept the offer than he should retire or go elsewhere.

Has anyone actually heard anything about another club approaching Riewoldt offering more?

Or is it just the media saying he is being 'lowballed' and people are just pre-empting the idea?
Jack has a lot of media mates. This could just be them scratching his back and they might get him another 50-100k added to the offer

Jack is so hungry on a dollar. Go and play someone where else is it’s about the money.
This is so far from the truth. Just like his cousin Nick at the Saints, Jack is as loyal as they come and has taken less to stay with previous contracts.

I've got no doubt him and Cotch will sign and take less so we can bring in their eventual replacements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back