Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also props to Brad.

He left LDU in the center bounces in all the key restarts in the last qtr.

LDU hasn’t shown his speed his straight line speed at AFL level. The boy can move don’t worry about that
Whats this straight line stuff, Judd moved in all directions all very high speed, im not sold on him being anywhere near Judd's pace.

He's not Judd's pace, very few footballers in history have been.

But he definitely has break away pace, rare in his type of midfielder.

Peak Eagles Judd is probably close to the best midfielder I've ever seen. Similar to Carey, when he was at his physical peak early in his career, before his body started to get battered, he was ******* insane. 3:10 is utterly nuts.

Last edited:

I think you could make a pretty convincing argument that he and Ahern are our best extractors after Cunnington and Higgins.
Argument could be be made but id take Anderson, Jacobs maybe even Simpkin ahead of both at the moment.

Iam genuinely surprised at the interest people give to this whole rising star thing. Jack silvagni got a rising star nom for what its worth.
Agree - the Blues were meant to be so much better than us in 2018 as they got 5 rising star nominations and we got 0. Their future was so much brighter!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of whether we get Kelly or not, the future is looking brighter for us. LDU, Anderson, Simpkin and Ahern are proving to have major upsides. If Murphy, Morgan and Will Walker deliver also, we will launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of whether we get Kelly or not, the future is looking brighter for us. LDU, Anderson, Simpkin and Ahern are proving to have major upsides. If Murphy, Morgan and Will Walker deliver also, we will launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need more imo.

Thomas will obviously help, but it's hard to gauge where he will end up as a final position at AFL level.

He might be a 40 goal a season forward at his height, strength overhead and goal sense and the new demand for mid/forwards like Ziebell, Caddy, De Goey etc

I'm extremely torn on this, the next 6 games are as close to the most important in the last decade for the club.

On one hand I'm extremely proud of how the boys have gone this year given pre-season expecatation, we are a chance to make finals and as enjoyable as playing a final would be, I think losing to Collingwood/West Coast/Brisbane/Adelaide legitimately gives us a genuine chance at getting Thomas after our first pick and getting another kid genuinely as good as LDU. I think we get pick 7 in that scenario and I see 6 kids getting picked clear ahead of him. I don't think the Dogs/Fremantle are risking a Rankine/King on the chance we don't match.

The latter scenario makes us a better side next year and into the future and sets us up better, but it would be a disappointing finish to a very gritty season.

Where's Natalie Imbruglia............

Still believe we are a chance to pick up a player with our first pick before TT. The top 10 is stacked. It would be a bit of a reach for some clubs if one of the King boys or Smith was available before our pick.

If TT doesn't test that well at draft camp and the likes of Hill do then he could be down in the low teens on many clubs draft boards.

It helps that so teams before us are crying out for Key position players.

One thing that will hurt however is if GC get a compo pick straight after their first for T.Lynch.

We need more imo.

Thomas will obviously help, but it's hard to gauge where he will end up as a final position at AFL level.

He might be a 40 goal a season forward at his height, strength overhead and goal sense and the new demand for mid/forwards like Ziebell, Caddy, De Goey etc

I'm extremely torn on this, the next 6 games are as close to the most important in the last decade for the club.

On one hand I'm extremely proud of how the boys have gone this year given pre-season expecatation, we are a chance to make finals and as enjoyable as playing a final would be, I think losing to Collingwood/West Coast/Brisbane/Adelaide legitimately gives us a genuine chance at getting Thomas after our first pick and getting another kid genuinely as good as LDU. I think we get pick 7 in that scenario and I see 6 kids getting picked clear ahead of him. I don't think the Dogs/Fremantle are risking a Rankine/King on the chance we don't match.

The latter scenario makes us a better side next year and into the future and sets us up better, but it would be a disappointing finish to a very gritty season.

We can always try and trade up.

He's not Judd's pace, very few footballers in history have been.

But he definitely has break away pace, rare in his type of midfielder.

Peak Eagles Judd is probably close to the best midfielder I've ever seen. Similar to Carey, when he was at his physical peak early in his career, before his body started to get battered, he was ******* insane. 3:10 is utterly nuts.

balance was insane. Weird seeing him without the shoulder strapping!

We need more imo.

Is there anyone outside the top 6 make you baulk at matching a bid for Thomas if we were picking at 8 or 9?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Is there anyone outside the top 6 make you baulk at matching a bid for Thomas if we were picking at 8 or 9?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This should probably be for the TT or Draft thread, but anyway:

I think he's as talented as anyone, but as I've said in other threads, his talent doesn't bother me.

His sample size does.

He's played his entire career in the TSL, he was injured right up until last years champs, was extremely underdone and didn't do anything of note. He broke records in the academy series (Probably equivalent to Melbourne APS school football), but then didn't follow it up at the champs and had another extremely quiet series.

Now this wouldn't be a problem for a Victorian, as was the case with LDU, as he'd have another 10 rounds of TAC Cup football to show some wares. He's played maybe 2 games in his life against Walsh and Hately etc and been quiet in both of them. Unlike a Victorian that will line up against a top midfield prospect in the opposition almost weekly.

But he's going back to the TSL where frankly, he's essentially playing B grade Ammo's equiv. football, he's more athletic and talented than anyone else in the league and isn't tested in a range of area's he would at TAC Cup or VFL level.

We are essentially basing his relative draft position against his peers on 4 weeks of school football equiv. and his u/16's national champs 3 years ago. I don't pay any note to what he does at TSL level, as can you imagine what Walsh, Smith, King's etc would be doing if they were playing for Beaumaris or Parkdale?

The only real players I'd consider not matching a bid on him is if there was a possibility of getting Rankine/Smith/King x 2 with the remaining players left on the board if we were not to match.

In terms of players I'd pair with him, Hill is an obvious one if we wanted speed and X-Factor, but I really think whoever passes on Rozee in that range is going to regret it. His output hasn't been great this year, much like Fogarty last year, but I see him having the potential of developing into an Elliot Yeo type midfielder/utility with elite skills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back