Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Amazing what some confidence will do for a skilled player.

I recall sitting in the Ponsford at the G when Hayburner had a shot 30m in front. One look at the tension in his face as he came in to kick told the story.

Like basically every forward, he had a chance to win the game.

Wasn't the best game, but he had some nice kicks inside 50.

Hopefully he keeps building, much better this year than last.

Really liked his year that he put together. Sure he didn't show up on the day this time but he's really contributed to making us debatably the most option laden forward line in the game. When you have two big lads in Buddy and McLean, and two medium forwards who both have a good leap on them you are basically playing with 4 talls but two of them are agile and fast in Heeney and Hayward. Then you get smalls who can work their way into space like Papley and Wicks it makes us a real handful for teams to know who we will kick to.

It's a real shame we got drawn into playing such a contested game and bombed it in long so much in the first half. It really ran against how we played all season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone buy a Will Hayward video?

Can someone buy a Will Hayward video?

Also, how bizarre (don't hum the tune), I noticed that Ronke & Amartey are also on that site and seem to be in higher demand than Hayward. I'm not a massive advocate for Hayward as a player but I thought for sure he'd be more popular with the fans than those two. Guess the heart wants what the heart wants!

Also, how bizarre (don't hum the tune), I noticed that Ronke & Amartey are also on that site and seem to be in higher demand than Hayward. I'm not a massive advocate for Hayward as a player but I thought for sure he'd be more popular with the fans than those two. Guess the heart wants what the heart wants!
I don't get the Haywood hate. Half forward is the hardest position on the field to play. You are not tall enough to contest with the big boys and you are not small enough to crumb with the small boys. You are an in betweenie. Also mids want some action coming forward and cram your space and opportuniies to shine. Cunningham played there for a time and found it difficut also before finding a home as a small defender. Its hard.
That aside Haywood needs to curb his giving away frees and be more disciplined(along with Buddy). We are being cruelled by our own ill discipline.

Haywood and another player being touted as an out in Florent being replaced by Taylor and Clarke? Give me a spell. . Just watch Florent's two goals in the first game this year against GWS. Absolutely star class!!

If we put in from the first quarter and stop our stupid giving away of frees there is no problem.

I don't get the Haywood hate. Half forward is the hardest position on the field to play. You are not tall enough to contest with the big boys and you are not small enough to crumb with the small boys. You are an in betweenie. Also mids want some action coming forward and cram your space and opportuniies to shine. Cunningham played there for a time and found it difficut also before finding a home as a small defender. Its hard.
That aside Haywood needs to curb his giving away frees and be more disciplined(along with Buddy). We are being cruelled by our own ill discipline.

Haywood and another player being touted as an out in Florent being replaced by Taylor and Clarke? Give me a spell. . Just watch Florent's two goals in the first game this year against GWS. Absolutely star class!!

If we put in from the first quarter and stop our stupid giving away of frees there is no problem.

It's not hate rusty. I just don't rate him as a footballer. I'm sure everyone has that player who they just don't see anything in despite what others see.

It's not hate rusty. I just don't rate him as a footballer. I'm sure everyone has that player who they just don't see anything in despite what others see.
With everyone we have on our list I do rate him. You have to have a better alternative. You cannot just wish so and so from some other team that you like was playing for the Swans. This is our team. These are the players(cards) in our hand. You can only play the hand you have.

I saw the reserves play and based on that game the only mid I would bring in would be a toss up between Corey Warner and Bell(I am not a fan). Wicks did not push his case very hard.

What is the alternative?

I really really miss Sheldrick.:( He has only played one game.

The cupboard is pretty bare after best 22 in terms of class and experience. Campbell could play forward in Haywoods place. Then we have to restructure etc

Last edited:
With everyone we have on our list I do rate him. You have to have a better alternative. You cannot just wish so and so from some other team that you like was playing for the Swans. This is our team. These are the players(cards) in our hand. You can only play the hand you have.

I saw the reserves play and based on that game the only mid I would bring in would be a toss up between Corey Warner and Bell(I am not a fan). Wicks did not push his case very hard.

What is the alternative?

I really really miss Sheldrick.:(

Well, in any case, I wasn't knocking him in the post you quoted. I was just saying it was curious that Ronke & Amartey seemed to have had more demand on that site linked, but there could be a number of factors behind that. Like how long Hayward's been on it, and the price (I notice Hayward's more expensive than the other two.)

I wonder how the prices on those are set? I noticed a heap of other AFL players on there and the prices are fairly erratic. God help me if Heeney ever signs up for it. My missus will drain our bank account within a month.

Well, in any case, I wasn't knocking him in the post you quoted. I was just saying it was curious that Ronke & Amartey seemed to have had more demand on that site linked, but there could be a number of factors behind that. Like how long Hayward's been on it, and the price (I notice Hayward's more expensive than the other two.)

I wonder how the prices on those are set? I noticed a heap of other AFL players on there and the prices are fairly erratic. God help me if Heeney ever signs up for it. My missus will drain our bank account within a month.
I didn't read the attached. I suppose I am just responding to the plethora of posts wanting Haywood out. I suspect if those posters got their way then in the next game they would want Haywood back. The alternative is worse. He will come good and so will the Swans this week.

Hayward set his price too high. Akermanis will send you a video for $35!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back