Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Where do we reckon Hayward might fit best? Half forward? Small forward? Wing?
In a Swan's jumper ;)
Seriously, I'm excited to see him play on Friday night.

I notice you've been a big advocate for him. I hope for your sake (and everyone's) he lives up to the hype :thumbsu:
As a young babe in the 1950's growing up, we went to all the Swans games (for home games standing on the bowling green side). Back then, the thirds played the curtain raiser before the firsts. My Mum would boast that we saw all Bobby Skilton's games as he essentially went from the thirds (I think) directly into the seniors.
I'm unable to get to games, so I loved it when NEAFL showed some of our games on youtube last year. Reliving part of my childhood and watching how Shaw is teaching our players playing the Swans game plan.
It's exciting to see all the young players coming through - especially with the likes and success of Heeney, Mills and Allir ....

As a young babe in the 1950's growing up, we went to all the Swans games (for home games standing on the bowling green side). Back then, the thirds played the curtain raiser before the firsts. My Mum would boast that we saw all Bobby Skilton's games as he essentially went from the thirds (I think) directly into the seniors.
I'm unable to get to games, so I loved it when NEAFL showed some of our games on youtube last year. Reliving part of my childhood and watching how Shaw is teaching our players playing the Swans game plan.
It's exciting to see all the young players coming through - especially with the likes and success of Heeney, Mills and Allir ....

Agreed! A lot of our kids would probably be getting senior games at most other clubs, so it's a pretty big deal when one of them even gets close to cracking the senior side.

Agreed! A lot of our kids would probably be getting senior games at most other clubs, so it's a pretty big deal when one of them even gets close to cracking the senior side.

brisbane and carlton aren't most other clubs.

If you were near the bowling green side around the late 70s early 80s i would have been close by. My first memory of football was a game against Richmond when Francis Jackson (playing for swans then) kicked the ball straight up in the air then marked his own kick. I really miss the old suburban grounds even vic park and windy hill much better atmosphere in those days.

can't wait to see hayward play on friday. hopefully he can do enough to take papley/mglyn's spot.

If you were near the bowling green side around the late 70s early 80s i would have been close by. My first memory of football was a game against Richmond when Francis Jackson (playing for swans then) kicked the ball straight up in the air then marked his own kick. I really miss the old suburban grounds even vic park and windy hill much better atmosphere in those days.

Didn't miss Victoria Park! :)
Not much in 70's and 80's on bowling green side, as by then my father has passed away, so my Mum and I stood in the outer.

Where do we reckon Hayward might fit best? Half forward? Small forward? Wing?

From what I saw of him last year he is mainly a medium forward but as of right now is he still slight enough to be a small forward crumbing role. Don't know if that will continue when he bulks up a bit. Seems pretty agile and mobile though. I know a recruiter who used to be an AFL forward who says his footy smarts such as leading patterns and creating space for himself are second to none in this draft class among forwards.

Great post. Do you remember the cockatoo that used to be in front of the bowling green? Mum warned me about the language from what was a very abusive bird.

From what I saw of him last year he is mainly a medium forward but as of right now is he still slight enough to be a small forward crumbing role. Don't know if that will continue when he bulks up a bit. Seems pretty agile and mobile though. I know a recruiter who used to be an AFL forward who says his footy smarts such as leading patterns and creating space for himself are second to none in this draft class among forwards.

Sounds similar to Dawson then with his diversity up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His marking would make him a very dangerous small forward.

Great post. Do you remember the cockatoo that used to be in front of the bowling green? Mum warned me about the language from what was a very abusive bird.
Yes. At half time my Mum and us kids went to the Bowling club for cup of tea and biscuits (the males into the bar). As you walked past the cocky you would yell out phrases like "Chewy on ya boot" "Carn the bloods", ...maybe I was too young to realise the swearing ;)

I'd like to publicly thank the Swans BF board, as I had a great time reading the posts re our potential draft picks. I was sitting on the edge of my seat watching on the night of drafts on the AFL web site and reading all your comments.
Another reason why I'm so excited by our new recruits wearing the red and white :)

I'd like to publicly thank the Swans BF board, as I had a great time reading the posts re our potential draft picks. I was sitting on the edge of my seat watching on the night of drafts on the AFL web site and reading all your comments.
Another reason why I'm so excited by our new recruits wearing the red and white :)

Early I know, but I think we have good reason to get excited with this draft class.

I dont know if hes fully fit or not, but excited that he gets a run. Fingers crossed.
Can't see anyone being risked at this point in the season unless they're fully fit.

Getting talked up far to much imo

mcveigh is one of those who talked him up. he said he will be the best of our young players. i am not privy to what he has seen. i'm more just excited to see what hayward can do...

I notice you've been a big advocate for him. I hope for your sake (and everyone's) he lives up to the hype :thumbsu:
I've seen him a few times (albeit I wasn't watching for him in particular). IMO I think he'll be a really great player on the proviso he builds some size and get's his endurance up. Probably the biggest criticism of him as far as I have heard/seen is his tank & "size" (maybe not athletic enough or big enough - A bit in between). I believe he played in the middle early on then got shifted to the FWD line due to his tank and size.

IMO his strengths are his agility and footy smarts. While not the perfect athletic specimen like some others - I think he is a solid, smart football player. Exactly what we should be looking at drafting. You can build speed, endurance, strength... You can mould some footy knowledge. But natural skill and understanding is what we should be trying to draft. As such, I think if he can increase his size and endurance a bit then, based on the natural skill and smarts I believe he has, I think we got him at a bargain basement price.

Really looking forward to seeing him and seeing how he goes at this next level of competition.

mcveigh is one of those who talked him up. he said he will be the best of our young players. i am not privy to what he has seen. i'm more just excited to see what hayward can do...
I guess we will know soon enough, but to be fair to Hayward I don't think he has ever played against grown men. I think his previous experience is under 18s Maccas Cup in Adelaide, Under 18 state comp and college footy. All these comps are quite open and good leading patterns, and one on ones etc can make it a lot easier.

At the swans he will play against hardened professional athletes, going much faster and delivering hard physical hits. My feeling is that it will take a few seasons in the NEAFL to adjust and to achieve a build capable of with standing the rigors. The recruiters obviously believe he can do it or he would not have been drafted. It is a question of time.

Yes. At half time my Mum and us kids went to the Bowling club for cup of tea and biscuits (the males into the bar). As you walked past the cocky you would yell out phrases like "Chewy on ya boot" "Carn the bloods", ...maybe I was too young to realise the swearing ;)
We went to the Bowling club for tea also at half time. Great memories of the old ground. Mum and Dad were non-drinkers so we headed away from the bar for a cup of tea. And ran into an obscene talking bird. Maybe the cocky was commenting on the umpiring when I went past with Mum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back