Current Trial 9yo Charlise Mutten - Blue Mountains * Justin Stein charged with murder

Remove this Banner Ad

In court yesterday, the flower enthusiast that reported a strange bush hole covered with sticks to crimestoppers that led Police to find the accused's buried alleged weapons on 30th Jan 2022 (including the accused's eBay rifle scope with the accused's fingerprint on it) gave her evidence.

'Justin Stein allegedly murdered schoolgirl Charlise Mutten and buried murder weapon

Police were alerted to the alleged murder weapon used to kill a nine-year-old girl after a flower enthusiast stumbled upon the scene, a jury has been told.'

'May 15, 2024 - 6:11AM
A flower enthusiast accidentally stumbled upon a stash of weapons police allege were used by a man accused of murdering the nine-year-old daughter of his partner, a jury has been told.
The jury, consisting of five women and 10 men
The jury has also been told Mr Stein had an “interest” in firearms, after he and Ms Mutten broke into a Mount Wilson house in August 2021 and stole property including two firearms.

One of the firearms was of “importance in the case,” the jury was told, with Mr Stein later ordering a hunting rifle scope on eBay in late 2021.

Crown prosecutor Ken McKay SC told the jury the scope, along with the weapons, was later found buried on a Mount Wilson fire trail.

The woman who stumbled across the weapons gave evidence in the trial on Tuesday.

Verity Harris has a keen interest in flowers and was walking down a bushtrack on January 30, 2022, almost two weeks after Charlise’s body was recovered, when she realised she had to go to the bathroom.

She found an “open area with a hole an animal had dug up” and went about her business, the jury was told, before finding a patch of dirt covered with sticks.

“It looked like a specially dug area that had been covered up with branches, I thought it looked odd,” Ms Harris told the court.

Ms Harris didn’t think about contacting police until she later spoke with her son, who is a volunteer for the Royal Fire Service.

He told her the RFS had been part of the search to find Charlise and suggested his mother report what she had seen to Crime Stoppers.

After reporting what she saw, police uncovered a blue tarp filled with two firearms and the scope allegedly bought by Mr Stein.

Mr McKay showed a photo of the contents of the tarp to the jury on Monday. They were told the scope had a fingerprint of the accused.

The jury was told Mr Stein had called his mother from prison months later on March 21, 2022, and asked her to “retrieve stuff for him from the mountains”.

“He said ‘I borrowed certain things from my friend, I dumped them in the bush so I need you to retrieve them for me’,” Mr McKay told the jury.

Mr Stein’s mother informed her son the police had already discovered the stash of weapons as she was shown an image by police, the jury heard, but he told his mother the “murder weapon isn’t anywhere to be found”.

After his arrest in January 2022, Mr Stein denied killing Charlise in an interview with a Corrective Services officer but said he was “in the vicinity when Kallista Mutten shot and killed the girl,” the jury heard.
...'
Interesting that references to the call to Mrs Stein seem to have been removed from all articles.

Social media can cause a lot of harm to innocent parties if not used intelligently and responsibly.

Let's see if Charlise's mother's triple zero call to operator to report her daughter missing (missing from 2 nights earlier!) is going to assist or more implicate the accused. The call was played to the jury in court this morning.

'I need to report my daughter missing’: Triple-zero call from Charlise Mutten’s mother

By Sarah McPhee

May 15, 2024 — 11.36am
A jury has heard the moment Charlise Mutten’s mother reported her daughter missing from the Blue Mountains, sobbing as she told a triple-zero operator she last saw the nine-year-old “two nights ago” and had left her with her fiance Justin Stein.
The phone call, made by Kallista Mutten at 8.12am on January 14, 2022, was played at Stein’s NSW Supreme Court trial on Wednesday.

In the recording, the operator stated, “Go ahead, you’ve got the police”, and Kallista Mutten cried as she replied, “I need to report my daughter missing … she’s nine”.

She said Charlise had disappeared from the property on Shadforth Road at Mount Wilson, which is Stein’s family estate called Wildenstein, and that she was using the landline due to phone reception.

Asked when she last saw her daughter, the mother replied: “Two nights ago.”

“Where did she go two nights ago?” the operator asked.

“She was here, I wasn’t here, my partner was here,” Kallista Mutten replied.

“During the morning, she was really, she was sort of sick … lethargic … and I was two-and-a-half hours away.

“Justin and the lady that … came over to do the auction for his mum, which was her friend, he asked if she could mind her while he went and got me … didn’t want her in the car … throwing up.

“She was fine with that, and the lady said, ‘No worries, take all the time you want’, and when we got back, they were gone, and I thought maybe she’s taken … so I rung the hospitals, but nup.”

Asked whether “yesterday morning was the last time someone saw her”, Charlise’s mother replied, “Umm, yeah. I’ve been looking for her in the bush and everything, that’s why it’s taken two days.”

Kallista Mutten was told the police would come out and said: “My partner will be able to tell them what, you know, ’cause I wasn’t here.”

She was asked by the operator if she had “any thoughts of where she [Charlise] might have gone”, and she said her daughter was “here on holidays for a month”.

The operator said police would come out straight away and “they’ll start looking for your daughter”.
...'
Did she even say Charlise’s name once in the phone call? All it sounds like is her making excuses and trying to distance herself from “her daughter”

Makes me sick

Jury hears texts from Justin Stein on the day he allegedly murdered nine-year-old Charlise Mutten​

The accused killer of Charlise Mutten sent text messages to the girl's mother saying, "I'm the worst father" and "I'm broken" on the day he had allegedly murdered the nine-year-old, a supreme court jury has heard.

The court heard Mr Stein sent Ms Mutten the text messages about being a bad father on the drive back to the caravan park. The jury were told she replied, saying "no you're not, come on stop it" and "things are going to go our way this year". It is alleged the couple had an argument a day earlier.

The court previously heard that Kallista Mutten was pregnant with Mr Stein's child at the time, and they had planned to get married that week.

The court heard Ms Mutten returned to the Mount Wilson property with Mr Stein later on January 12 to find her daughter was no longer there. Mr McKay said Ms Mutten believed her daughter had possibly left her at a hospital
[sic]. The jury heard instead of calling police, she called two nearby hospitals and did not officially report her missing to authorities until two days later.

Crown Prosecutor Ken McKay SC said detectives obtained data from Mr Stein's phone, which showed he had used an adult dating app between the night of January 11 and the morning of January 12. Mr McKay said the couple spent the night at the Mount Wilson property, where Ms Mutten looked through Mr Stein's phone and saw he had used online dating apps and texted one of her friends.

The court heard Kallista Mutten drove off with Mr Stein's ute the next morning to a nearby camp site after the couple had an argument, where she texted him saying "you're a liar, cheat and now lost my daughter". The court heard some of her other messages included "I'm not losing her over you" and I "I just want my daughter".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05...in-allegedly-murder-charlise-mutten/103856452

Last edited:

:sickv1:

Really wish I could say this surprises me even a tiny bit.
I wonder if mother will be charged with anything.
Perhaps she didn't actually break the law, but I was thinking of Maxine Carr after this.
She didn't have anything to do with kilings of the 10 year old girls in England in 2002, but still got 18 months jail.
Perhaps this is an unfair comparison I am making.

I don’t understand why K was at the caravan park and J and C were at the house? Were they so drug affected they didn’t know what was going on?

Why did K wait two days to call 000 and look for her daughter in the bush? Again is this because she was so strung out on drugs? Lost track of time?

Throw them both in the bin. Absolute trash.

Makes my blood boil.
This was just a 48 hour period. Makes me wonder what else happened over the rest of the time Charlise was there.
I don’t think any of it could have been a nice, happy time.

I wonder if mother will be charged with anything.
Perhaps she didn't actually break the law, but I was thinking of Maxine Carr after this.
She didn't have anything to do with kilings of the 10 year old girls in England in 2002, but still got 18 months jail.
Perhaps this is an unfair comparison I am making.

The mother was charged and sentenced for the aggravated burglary charge, she got off light imo but may have agreed to testify against Stein in exchange for a better deal.

Maxine Carr covered up for her husband and interfered with the investigation, I don't think Charlise's mother did.

I don’t understand why K was at the caravan park and J and C were at the house? Were they so drug affected they didn’t know what was going on?

Why did K wait two days to call 000 and look for her daughter in the bush? Again is this because she was so strung out on drugs? Lost track of time?

Throw them both in the bin. Absolute trash.

K might have been at the caravan park because Stein's mother was going to the big house, I got the impression they didn't get along and recall something about the mother being there when Charlise was.

If K was scrambled on ice in those two days, she might have lost track of time.

K might have been at the caravan park because Stein's mother was going to the big house, I got the impression they didn't get along and recall something about the mother being there when Charlise was.

If K was scrambled on ice in those two days, she might have lost track of time.

Possibility. But then why let Charlise go with Justin? Wouldn’t she want to spend time with her daughter? Seems K couldn’t careless and was more interested in getting her next fix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Justin Stein told police two different stories about Charlise Mutten after she was allegedly murdered, court told​

On Friday, the jury watched Mr Stein's second interview with police on the day Charlise's mum, Kallista Mutten, reported her daughter missing on January 14, 2022. In the recording, Mr Stein tells detectives "Kallista's been planning to take Charlise", and claimed that she was going to do a "runner" with the girl's biological father, who lived in Queensland.

Mr Stein told police Kallista's "got a lot of issue when it comes to her mum and custody".

In his first interview with police, which took place only hours earlier, Mr Stein originally said he left Charlise at the Mount Wilson property with an unknown real estate agent on January 12, because the girl was too sick to get out of bed. The court heard he left the child there while he drove to pick up Kallista Mutten, who had been staying at a caravan park in Lower Portland — a 90-minutes drive away from the Mount Wilson property.

But in the second interview, Mr Stein admits the first story about the real estate agent was a lie. He told officers that Kallista Mutten "dumped" that version of events on him in a phone call just before he was asked to attend Penrith Police Station and make a statement about the disappearance.

The court heard Mr Stein changed his story to say that Charlise was actually alone with Kallista at the caravan park on the morning she went missing, while he was in Mount Wilson.

"I'm the one that's going to get f****d in something I'm genuinely not involved in," he said. "I'm being laid out to dry."

In the second interview, Mr Stein is seen standing up out of his chair and pacing back and forth, which he said was because he hadn't received an injection to treat his heroin addiction. He told officers he thought Charlise was left alone at the caravan park when he picked up her mum and they headed back to Mount Wilson on January 12.

"You were happy to leave a nine-year-old child at a caravan park?" the officer asked Mr Stein.

"I didn't think about it… I wasn't happy she was [Kallista]," Mr Stein replied.

When asked by police whether he thought Charlise was still alive he responded "honestly, I do really think she's OK".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-17/justin-stein-police-stories-charlise-mutten/103862052

So Charlise is sick, left with a stranger....but let’s go have some fun, drugs and sex
but not too many drugs to not be coherent enough to have a fight about a possible STD/affair,
but not coherent enough to contact the police straight away.
It’s honesty beyond words.

Justin Stein told police two different stories about Charlise Mutten after she was allegedly murdered, court told​

On Friday, the jury watched Mr Stein's second interview with police on the day Charlise's mum, Kallista Mutten, reported her daughter missing on January 14, 2022. In the recording, Mr Stein tells detectives "Kallista's been planning to take Charlise", and claimed that she was going to do a "runner" with the girl's biological father, who lived in Queensland.

Mr Stein told police Kallista's "got a lot of issue when it comes to her mum and custody".

In his first interview with police, which took place only hours earlier, Mr Stein originally said he left Charlise at the Mount Wilson property with an unknown real estate agent on January 12, because the girl was too sick to get out of bed. The court heard he left the child there while he drove to pick up Kallista Mutten, who had been staying at a caravan park in Lower Portland — a 90-minutes drive away from the Mount Wilson property.

But in the second interview, Mr Stein admits the first story about the real estate agent was a lie. He told officers that Kallista Mutten "dumped" that version of events on him in a phone call just before he was asked to attend Penrith Police Station and make a statement about the disappearance.

The court heard Mr Stein changed his story to say that Charlise was actually alone with Kallista at the caravan park on the morning she went missing, while he was in Mount Wilson.

"I'm the one that's going to get f****d in something I'm genuinely not involved in," he said. "I'm being laid out to dry."

In the second interview, Mr Stein is seen standing up out of his chair and pacing back and forth, which he said was because he hadn't received an injection to treat his heroin addiction. He told officers he thought Charlise was left alone at the caravan park when he picked up her mum and they headed back to Mount Wilson on January 12.

"You were happy to leave a nine-year-old child at a caravan park?" the officer asked Mr Stein.

"I didn't think about it… I wasn't happy she was [Kallista]," Mr Stein replied.

When asked by police whether he thought Charlise was still alive he responded "honestly, I do really think she's OK".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-17/justin-stein-police-stories-charlise-mutten/103862052
I’m surprised he could come up with two.

It's going to be nerve-wracking waiting for the jury verdict on this one.

Hopefully they at least get to the end of the trial and a verdict with the current jury.

Based on what we've heard so far, I think it's unlikely for the jury to form any sort of reasonable doubt.
It will be a long and complex trial because there is oodles of evidence to get through, but just about all of it points to Stein being solely responsible.

The only evidence that we know of supporting Steins story is... his own story.

The defence strategy is about the best the lawyer can do under the circumstances. He has admitted to dumping the body, but he contests only these things –
  • The time and date of the murder
  • The person who shot the gun

The prosecution has clearly demonstrated that Stein has lied the entire way through the process. So his words now hold little value to the jury.
The first two interviews on the day that the girl is reported missing are particularly telling. Stein puts on crocodile tears and claims to be devastated over the girls disappearance, then he flips and begins blaming the mother for conspiring to run away with the girl and the girls biological father who lives in QLD, then he tries to suggest that the girl is being held somewhere by her biological father.

To make it even worse, he later claims that he disposed of the body only to protect his partner Kallista, but by that time he had already shown that he had little regard for his partner after earlier both cheating on her and trying implicate her in the disappearance of the girl.
Not to mention the texts he had sent in the early hours of the morning immediately before he disposed of the body, when he was threatening to bring both guns and kill Kallista. He's a walking contradiction.

His family are paying for a top tier lawyer for him but she doesn't have much to work with. Contesting this particular murder charge is going to be nigh impossible. His lawyer must know that. She'll get paid either way.

Edit - something in particular that I think will be brought into question by the defence is Kallista's knowledge of Stein's whereabouts on the day that he was disposing of the body. Because in Stein's version of events, he's cleaning up Kallista's mess for her.

In the initial news reports about this case it was suggested that the pair had exchanges or conversions during the course of the day both about sandbags and of launching the boat.
Without proper context, it sounded like she must have been been aware of what Stein was doing with the body.

However, I think that it may be the case that Stein told Kallista that he was taking the boat out to search for Chelise.

Although I have to say that I'm still puzzled why she was even speaking to him after he'd been threatening to bring guns to kill her only hours earlier.
Is that kind of behaviour just normal conduct between two meth addicts in a relationship? 🤔

Last edited:
Although I have to say that I'm still puzzled why she was even speaking to him after he'd been threatening to bring guns to kill her only hours earlier.
Is that kind of behaviour just normal conduct between two meth addicts in a relationship? 🤔
Unfortunately people like this are beyond reason and moral behaviour.

Justin Steins trial continued today with the prosecution establishing a timeline of events.

Much of it has been previously reported but there are a few extra details in particular about January 13th when Stein is alleged to have driven the body to Sydney.

January 13
In the early hours of this day we'd previously heard, the couple had been arguing after Kallista went through Steins phone and then took off in his car.
I gather the two of them slept for a good part of that day as well.

4.00pm Stein is alleged to have finally left the Mt Wilson property with the barrel in the back of his car and the boat in tow, telling his mother (Annemie Stein) and Kallista that he was going out searching for Charlise.

He visits bunnings to buy sandbags, 7-Eleven to buy snacks, BP to get fuel for the boat and for his ute.

6.51pm
Stein drives his car to Rose Bay Wharf in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, circling the carpark before leaving and travelling to Drummoyne wharf in the inner west.

7.28pm Steins mother messages asking how things were going.
“I think Kallista has done all this and everything else at the property, lots of things not adding up.”

When Mr Stein suggested it was “possible”, his mother queried whether Ms Mutten was as “distraught” as him.

She told her son “any mother would be inconsolable” and claimed Ms Mutten knew “where Charlise is”.

“I’m beside myself and she has no connection to me … what the f**k is going on here?” she wrote.

Mr Stein said he was going to “get to the bottom of it”

January 14
12.21am
Stein receives messages from Kallista saying she was “going to bed” and “don’t come back unless she’s with you”.
Followed by “knock down the door and say where’s my daughter”.

12.38am
Stein googles “Windsor boat ramp” at 12.38am, with Kallista asking him 10 minutes later to “please get our baby back”.

1.19am Stein’s car is seen driving through David St at Windsor.

Now, somewhere here Stein has poured 99KG of sand into the barrel along with Charlise' body. I'm not sure of the girls weight but I imagine he's now got a barrel that weighs in excess of 130KG.

He's not the sharpest tool in the shed and I wonder if he's added the sand while the barrel is still in the back of the ute.

It also doesn't appear to be known exactly what Stein has done at the these three different boat ramps but he inevitably gives up, either because he's not able to get the boat running or not able to get the barrel into the boat.

1.42am Stein leaves Windsor boat ramp travels to an area at the lower Colo Rd.
There, he pushes the barrel off the embankment down towards the Colo River and gets back in the car.

2:45am Stein does a U turn leaves the area.

4:26am Stein arrives back at the Mount Wilson property.

This case is expected to be five weeks long. We're now only five days in and it already looks as if the defence is going to have a tough time trying to claim that Kallista killed the girl and put her body in the barrel for Stein to clean up.

The defence are going to argue the timeline to suit their narrative, but the text messages alone make it clear that Kallista is hoping that Stein might return from his expedition with Charlise alive.

He doesn't of course, and at 8.12am Kallista finally reports Charlise missing.

Last edited:
Justin Steins trial continued today with the prosecution establishing a timeline of events.

Much of it has been previously reported but there are a few extra details in particular about January 13th when Stein is alleged to have driven the body to Sydney.

January 13
In the early hours of this day we'd previously heard, the couple had been arguing after Kallista went through Steins phone and then took off in his car.

4.00pm Stein is alleged to have finally left the Mt Wilson property with the barrel in the back of his car and the boat in tow, telling his mother (Annemie Stein) and Kallista that he was going out searching for Charlise.

He visits bunnings to buy sandbags, 7-Eleven to buy snacks, BP to get fuel for the boat and for his ute.

6.51pm
Stein drives his car to Rose Bay Wharf in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, circling the carpark before leaving and travelling to Drummoyne wharf in the inner west.

“I think Kallista has done all this and everything else at the property, lots of things not adding up.”

When Mr Stein suggested it was “possible”, his mother queried whether Ms Mutten was as “distraught” as him.

She told her son “any mother would be inconsolable” and claimed Ms Mutten knew “where Charlise is”.

“I’m beside myself and she has no connection to me … what the f**k is going on here?” she wrote.

January 14
12.21am
Stein receives messages from Kallista saying she was “going to bed” and “don’t come back unless she’s with you”.

12.38am
Stein googles “Windsor boat ramp” at 12.38am, with Kallista asking him 10 minutes later to “please get our baby back”.

Now, somewhere here Stein has poured 99KG of sand into the barrel along with Charlise' body. I'm not sure of the girls weight but I imagine he's now got a barrel that weighs in excess of 130KG.

He's not the sharpest tool in the shed and I wonder if he's added the sand while the barrel is still in the back of the ute.

It also doesn't appear to be known exactly what Stein has done at the these three different boat ramps but he inevitably gives up, either because he's not able to get the boat running or not able to get the barrel into the boat.

There, he pushes the barrel off the embankment down towards the Colo River and gets back in the car.

This case is expected to be five weeks long. We're now only five days in and it already looks as if the defence is going to have a tough time trying to claim that Kallista killed the girl and put her body in the barrel for Stein to clean up.

The defence are going to argue the timeline to suit their narrative, but the text messages alone make it clear that Kallista is hoping that Stein might return from his expedition with Charlise alive.

I have so many questions,
Why was Charlise with Stein at the house instead of with her Mum?
Where did K think Stein was going with the boat in tow whilst texting Stein to bring her daughter home and to knock down the door.
Why wasn’t K hysterical (and not calling police) but instead “I’m going to bed.”
It will be interesting to hear what the defence says.

Where did K think Stein was going with the boat in tow whilst texting Stein to bring her daughter home and to knock down the door.
Why wasn’t K hysterical (and not calling police) but instead “I’m going to bed.”
Me too - always more and more questions !
This case, however, is so disgusting 🤮 - very hard to stomach!

There was talk about Stein's mother not allowing K.Mutten at her posh property - don't think the mother knew her son JS and KM were engaged, let alone pregnant at the time. Talk also KM was dealing drugs from the caravan area.

Talk also JS & KM were drug addled at the time. Drug seeking. Think the suburban term often used is "looping out"

Stein's mother's sms JS about "what was happening at the property" and blaming KM - this might be explained when she takes the witness stand. What else happened there ?

Seems Charlise was drugged with JS medicine also - no wonder the poor baby was vomiting and very unwell :cryv1:

I assume KM terminated her pregnancy.

January 13

6.51pm

January 14
12.21am

12.38am

I don’t think the text messages in isolation prove anything in terms of KM mindset or culpability. A normal parent would have already called the police and this can easily be argued by the defense.

Sounds like K was sending messages to try get herself out of it after fully participating. Either way, she was negligent and it led to death so even if she didn't participate in the killing, she should be behind bars for life for causing another death.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back