Opinion "A message from Jarrad McVeigh and Kieran Jack"

Remove this Banner Ad

Swan Dive

Team Captain
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I received an email today from the club. Here's the part dealing directly with the GF:

Saturday was disappointing and it hurts. At the end of the day, we didn't play the sort of football we wanted to or that we’re capable of. It’s as simple as that.

To me, there's something deeply unsatisfying about this. It doesn't reflect how I feel.

Why didn't you play the sort of football "we wanted or that we're capable of ?" That's the question everyone wants answered. Why?

How about letting us know what was said after you watched the replay?

Unsatisfying, yes, but what more can you expect them to say now. They'd be criticised no matter what they said.

Rolled my eyes when i read the message.
Exactly, We want to know WHY.

And no apology from them.
At least Pyke apologised to the fans in his 2014 Review article.

Dear fans

We ****ed up big time on saturday.

I couldnt point as much as i usually do and make everyone do more.

Horse gave us some instructions but buggered if i know what theyr were, he tried to move buddy to the wing, it didnt work

We thought mitchell burgoyne hodge and lewis would run out of puff, it didnt work.

Losing is disappointing but i guarantee it wont happen again, its unbloods like its not what the guys stand for

I tried to lead they didnt follow, if buddy learns swans footy maybe we can come back

Also our flight was a bit delayed and we were tired from that parade and the open training session so thats why we were a bit tired saturday

Also 2 30 is not a great time for us

Love jarred mcveigh

Dear fans

We ****** up big time on saturday.

I couldnt point as much as i usually do and make everyone do more.

Horse gave us some instructions but buggered if i know what theyr were, he tried to move buddy to the wing, it didnt work

We thought mitchell burgoyne hodge and lewis would run out of puff, it didnt work.

Losing is disappointing but i guarantee it wont happen again, its unbloods like its not what the guys stand for

I tried to lead they didnt follow, if buddy learns swans footy maybe we can come back

Also our flight was a bit delayed and we were tired from that parade and the open training session so thats why we were a bit tired saturday

Also 2 30 is not a great time for us

Love jarred mcveigh
LOLLLL! that's pretty accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't help but question why no one stood up for Hanners when he was constantly crunched.
I watched it again & it was soft.

If someone told me that Hanners was on the outer with other players than it would make some sense.

But the whole game was bullsh.t.

I'm not angry.

I just want to know why no one helped Hanners when he was hammered.

Embarrassing is the best description.

I think that was the most disappointing thing, the overall softness. A few players included Hanners got battered and bashed, and nobody pushed or shoved any hawthorn players- nobody got angry about it. Same towards Buddy etc.

We got smashed in contested ball, smashed in tackling counts and seemed pretty limp all day. Disappointing to see nobody fly the flag, even if it resulted in a suspension/free kick would've been better than watching us just be ran through all day.

I can't help but question why no one stood up for Hanners when he was constantly crunched.

If someone told me that Hanners was on the outer with other players than it would make some sense.

I'm not angry.

Nah you don't do that even if you hate the guy.

Played plenty of footy with people I despised but would bleed for them on the field.

That's the point of playing for a club and being part of it, you take the good the bad and the ugly and sort it out off the field. On the field you are united and are as one.

Not sticking up for Hanners, Buddy or anyone else that got a sideways look was a failing of epic proportion in being a footballer at its core and heart.

The more I have watched it the angrier I get.

I think that was the most disappointing thing, the overall softness. A few players included Hanners got battered and bashed, and nobody pushed or shoved any hawthorn players- nobody got angry about it. Same towards Buddy etc..

When I seen Jetta and Hodge chest pushing each other and no one went in to help him in a Grand Final I knew we were in trouble.

I would love to know the real reason for the s**t effort but I suspect it would sound like an excuse. The sensible thing to do right now is keep it in house.

Id like to know if there is a reason

Because im guessing there is not one other than playing s**t and lazy efforts become infectious and they had a collective wobbly

Rather than s**t we slept in and missed pre game warm up

Ok well this is the full email they sent out.

Saturday was disappointing and it hurts. At the end of the day, we didn't play the sort of football we wanted to or that we’re capable of. It’s as simple as that.

As members of the Club, we know you’re feeling it too. You’ve been part of our team all year, and you share our disappointment now, in the same way you shared the many highs with us throughout the season.

This year we claimed the minor premiership with the help of the amazing atmosphere you created for us at our home matches and your dedication and passion at our away matches. Four of our boys were named in the All-Australian team, Lance Franklin won the Coleman Medal – the Club’s first since Tony Lockett in 1998 – and champion Adam Goodes played an unbelievable 350th game to take us into our fourth Grand Final in 10 years.

So to you, we say thank you for joining our team and for being with us every step of the way. Although the season didn’t end the way we wanted it to, we all go into the off season now with the fire burning for 2015.

We will learn from Saturday and like every year, we will be working incredibly hard to improve for 2015. We look forward to having you back on board and back in the stands, showing you're Proudly Sydney.

Cheer cheer,
Jarrad McVeigh and Kieren Jack

As members of the Club, we know you’re feeling it too. You’ve been part of our team all year, and you share our disappointment now, in the same way you shared the many highs with us throughout the season.

This year we claimed the minor premiership with the help of the amazing atmosphere you created for us at our home matches and your dedication and passion at our away matches. Four of our boys were named in the All-Australian team, Lance Franklin won the Coleman Medal – the Club’s first since Tony Lockett in 1998 – and champion Adam Goodes played an unbelievable 350th game to take us into our fourth Grand Final in 10 years.

So to you, we say thank you for joining our team and for being with us every step of the way. Although the season didn’t end the way we wanted it to, we all go into the off season now with the fire burning for 2015.

We will learn from Saturday and like every year, we will be working incredibly hard to improve for 2015. We look forward to having you back on board and back in the stands, showing you're Proudly Sydney.

Cheer cheer,
Ummm who the hell gives?? I rather finish 8th and then win the actual premiership lol.

I'm not angry.

Because hanners was tackled hard but fair, he wasn't taken high or behind play. Players understand the code and what's fair and what's dirty and nothing the hawks did was outside the rules ( except for lake driving franklin into the deck , and even old timmers would say he was only making him earn his kick). What happened to the Swans won't define them, how they respond will. I fully expect the Swans to open the gates of hell on opposition sides next year. Ps good to see that MarkP is still in the land of the living.

I disagree, you can fly the flag over any physical attack, fair or not ,if it's over the top or targeting a specific player. I'm not saying punch on but grab a jumper or two and fire the * up.

Cheer cheer,
Why did they have to quote "Proudly Sydney". FFS, that just turned the whole email into a lame marketing apology... Saturday was more than disappointing, it was infuriatingly insipid. But hey, like someone else said, it's done now. 2015 awaits. They'll be defined by how they respond 12 months from now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back