News Ablett returns to Victoria - Heading back to QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Wishing Gary, Jordan and the health of their family all the best:purpleheart:

From a football perspective, hopefully others can finally step up in his absence.

It's kinda interesting that earlier today the club posted the following on social media:

Here's hoping that Jordan's photo from the RCH was just a scheduled check-up and nothing more serious, and that returning home now was always on the cards

And this is why the entire season should be cancelled, the health of family and friends is more important at the moment, would hate for them to have a family member pass away while they were in a hub because of a game of footy.

Part of the club's statement:

Geelong’s General Manager of Football Simon Lloyd says Ablett has the full support of the football club.

“Gary approached Chris Scott and I early in the week. We’re well aware this is a deeply personal situation for Gary and Jordan,” Lloyd says.

“We knew it may happen while we’re away and he’s made the decision to return home.

“Obviously as a football club we totally support that on compassionate grounds. You’ll find that this may happen across the competition over the coming weeks at different times.

“The focus at the moment first and foremost is care for Gary and support for him and Jordan and their family during this challenging period.”

Lloyd says Ablett will train with former Cat Andrew Mackie in Geelong with hopes to return to the field this season.

“I think Gary’s intention is to return to the hub at some stage. We’ll stay in contact with Gary and he’ll continue to train when he returns to Geelong. We’ll just have to take it day by day really,” he says.

“He spoke to the playing group last night and he said that he wants to get back and get playing and his objective is to help Geelong win a premiership this season.

“We’ll work through the AFL with that, there’s different protocols and quarantine periods. We’ve already spoken to the AFL and we’ll work through that as we go.

Football should be the furthest thing on his mind in a situation like this

Given his son’s health and the quarantine requirements should he choose to go to QLD, I really wouldn’t be surprised if he has played his last game

the goat has absolutely nothing more to prove in the game, only went on in 2020 for a crack at 1 more flag imo but family comes first. Hope little Levi is ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m hoping he gives footy a miss now to spend all his time with his kid, nothing worse than seeing your kid crook.
The game is in its worst state it’s ever been in with COVID-19 and the spectacle itself is just cringeworthy. Stay away Gaz, do what’s right.

Wont come back this season - can you imagine how would be feeling having to do 2 weeks isolation on his own (cant be part of the team during this phase) knowing the health issues back home.

Gaz - you've been fantastic for Geelong and fantastic for football - I wish you all the best

Not even looking at his footy.
I'm just hoping he spends the quality time with his little boy and supportive time with his wife that is required.
Wishing for them that things go as well as possible.

Things like this sure put things into perspective. While I and others were annoyed with the loss on Thursday night and the umpiring that went with it, hearing this news makes you soon realise there are things in life that far more important in life than chasing a bit of leather around for 90+ minutes.

Hope both his son and mother-in-law are both doing well. My heart goes out to them.

There were some flogs on twitter having a crack.

Good thing they stayed over there thats all I can say.
Some people are just really head*ed.

GO Catters

Some people are just really headfu**ed.

GO Catters
If they do bring then bring the pain Daz, thats disgusting. Idiots can be given too much leeway sometimes.

I really hope for a good outcome here , but have been told there will be difficult time ahead.

Some people are just really headfu**ed.

GO Catters

Yeah, there's been some peanuts having a crack on FB too, but they've quickly been hounded down by all and sundry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back