Abolish the umpire bouncing the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree totally, but we live in a world now where it has to be fair for all so that's why they do it.
The bounce is absolutely the fair. Clearly the umpire can't control the bounce....so cannot deliberately favour anybody. Throw up can be manipulated and therefore is not fair. The game starts when the ball hits the deck.....every player in the vicinity has an equal chance it will come their way.

Centre bounce for start of each 1/4.. ball up for all others.

Less RSI on umps, still keeps the tradition, less overall pressure to perrform.

GO Catters

Nothing about the bounce really makes any sense but I like it.
I remember as a junior playing ruck before I stopped growing, learning to read the bounce quickly was vital. There's those split seconds watching it to work out how high it will go and precisely when to time your leap. A lower bounce required earlier run and leap, a higher bounce meant waiting a fraction and timing the run and leap later. Bounces left or right a bit changed the timing and run and jump as well etc. Then you had to factor in your opponents usual positioning. Some jump early, some a little later, some would run in and block the landing zone etc. I think all that would go if it was always thrown up and become much like basketball. Probably wouldn't matter much to the average punter but I'd miss it knowing there's an art and talent to it, it's not just about how tall you are. It's also the only sport I can think of where it happens and frankly I think that kind of appeals to the Aussie nature.
I'd miss it

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/th...d/news-story/28268b1e46d0c5f0865035b065331c6c

THE BOUNCE might still be alive – at least for now – but one recently retired whistle blower doesn’t think it should stay.

“I don’t see any real difference with thus with back and shoulder issues; I’ve got a pretty buggered right shoulder at the moment too, that’s been from bouncing the footy.”

Vozzo said the price being paid was losing gun junior decision makers who aren’t given the chance to practice bouncing in local competitions where it is outlawed.

“Probably the biggest thing, which a lot of people discount, umpires aren’t allowed to bounce at all in local footy,” he said.

“This happened a couple of years ago in the Eastern footy league. We had a young fella who was absolutely brilliant and as soon as he got to the VFL he had to bounce and he only lasted a year.

“He was a brilliant decision maker but he couldn’t bounce for anything because he never practiced in local football.

“You think you can just pick it up when you get to VFL but you can’t. I never mastered it in 25 years of umpiring.

“These kids are expected to do it after ten years of local footy and master it within one to two years – that’s impossible. I think that’s forgotten in all the hysteria around keeping it.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

like any career step change, you need to plan

if you're doing local footy and want to get to AFL standard..............practice before you need to do it. Start today!

Problem is that you're not allowed to in virtually all suburban / country comps. All you can do is practice in the back yard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back