Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schofield and Rotham were not competing for the same spot.

And Schofield had been very good in the WAFL the week before, the call up wasn't random.
Yeah I watched his WAFL games, the first he was cooked (said to be sick though) and the second playing against witches hats basically.

Wasn't Rotham a good replacement for Barass especially after playing with the defence the last two weeks? Smelt to me of putting a big name in for the memories or what he could do at some stage last year.

Yeah I watched his WAFL games, the first he was cooked (said to be sick though) and the second playing against witches hats basically.

Wasn't Rotham a good replacement for Barass especially after playing with the defence the last two weeks? Smelt to me of putting a big name in for the memories or what he could do at some stage last year.
Barrass is our lock down defender with Gov a bit more loose, and Rotham isn't capable of playing that role on the key forwards. More a third tall or even a lanky flanker at this stage.

I think Rotham did stand Hogan for a bit but that was more a necessity than anything with a 3 pronged Freo attack.

Schofield is the logical step in for Barrass.

I doubt very much that the selectors would slot Schoey in just for GF memories.
I imagine just a little bit more work goes into it than that, at a mega-million dollar club.
Schoey like everyone was under the pump and also looked out of touch in such a ferocious game.
We missed Barrass no doubt, but he wouldn't have been our saviour.
So there was no change for the weather - and who would we have brought in, which smalls
were ready, available, suitable and up to that intensity?
We stuck with our plan and talls (again) and when the rain arrived we bombed it in dirty and long (again)
and then....where were our talls? What advantage did that have?
They were cleaner, faster, slicker, found space, ran and carried, tackled relentlessly, kicked long, kicked short, clunked marks, scored often.
All the things we didn't do...
We need to adapt or get run over and be roadkill...

I remember a game in my youth days down in a little place called Rocky Gully, near Albany, and it was so bloody cold that my fingers froze. I could not undo my bootlaces. And that's exactly how I felt - didn't want to be out there.

Maybe our boys are like that too.

And how cold was it yesterday?

If you are right we may as well not bother going to Geelong.

As good as Gaff is, I really wanted him to go to North last year. I have said before and was torn a new one, that Gaff makes us so predictable. Could be argued we played much better footy with him out of the side.
[/QUOTE]
Disagree. We played well without Sheed as well. Covered the loss of Darling and Jk to varying degrees of success. Covered Shep and NicNat too but I don't think any of them make us play worse when they were in the team.

We have the ability to play the pressure game in spades when necessary. See the final v Melbourne as proof. Flogged them at their own game.
We won't win a flag adopting that strategy every week playing out of Perth though as it's ridiculously taxing physically.
Given two unexpected losses, we'll be forced to play less bruise-free footy than we'd probably like before the break now though.

And how cold was it yesterday?

If you are right we may as well not bother going to Geelong.

To be honest, ******* cold. I can't remember too many games at subi or last year ever being that cold. Proximity to the river is going to make a huge difference when wet and windy.

Last edited:
Disagree. We played well without Sheed as well. Covered the loss of Darling and Jk to varying degrees of success. Covered Shep and NicNat too but I don't think any of them make us play worse when they were in the team.[/QUOT

The thing is, its all about balance. To replace a back or a forward is pretty straight forward, but a mid ? Changes the way we play. Gaff is a very good player, just don't think he fits in our system. Normally wrong, happy to be on this occasion.

Disagree. We played well without Sheed as well. Covered the loss of Darling and Jk to varying degrees of success. Covered Shep and NicNat too but I don't think any of them make us play worse when they were in the team.[/QUOT

The thing is, its all about balance. To replace a back or a forward is pretty straight forward, but a mid ? Changes the way we play. Gaff is a very good player, just don't think he fits in our system. Normally wrong, happy to be on this occasion.

He is the best wingman in the AFL and can would fit into any teams system.

Agree with this round 5 2018 4 wins this year round 5 3 wins

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So far this year all the sides we’ve played are currently 3-2 and are 3rd (Fremantle), 4th (Collingwood), 5th (Port), 6th (GWS) and 9th (Brisbane)

After 5 rounds in 2018 we’d played Sydney, Footscray, Geelong, Gold Coast and Carlton

So far this year all the sides we’ve played are currently 3-2 and are 3rd (Fremantle), 4th (Collingwood), 5th (Port), 6th (GWS) and 9th (Brisbane)

After 5 rounds in 2018 we’d played Sydney, Footscray, Geelong, Gold Coast and Carlton
Ahhh perspective.

Big middle/end to the season rocketing up the ladder lads

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF planet do you live on?

View attachment 659411
Clearly not the same WTF planet you live on if you think Barrass would've singlehandedly saved our
arses? He's good, but he's not THAT good!
Anyway I'm guessing you're here to tell me why?
Time to drop our arrogance, it was fun shoving it back in peoples faces, but it's how we
answer this challenge ahead in the next block of games,
or run the risk of being has-beens. (talk about crashing back to earth!!)
The positive is we're equal 3rd on the ladder with 8 other teams????
-and a possible upside ahead in the fixture, here's hoping.
That's the WTF planet I live on!! ((;

Last edited:
We have the ability to play the pressure game in spades when necessary. See the final v Melbourne as proof. Flogged them at their own game.
We won't win a flag adopting that strategy every week playing out of Perth though as it's ridiculously taxing physically.
Given two unexpected losses, we'll be forced to play less bruise-free footy than we'd probably like before the break now though.

To be honest, ******* cold. I can't remember too many games at subi or last year ever being that cold. Proximity to the river is going to make a huge difference when wet and windy.
interesting, didn't factor in the cold, just the wet.
but then, it is equally cold and wet for both teams.

Clearly not the same WTF planet you live on if you think Barrass would've singlehandedly saved our
arses? He's good, but he's not THAT good!
Anyway I'm guessing you're here to tell me why?
Time to drop our arrogance, it was fun shoving it back in peoples faces, but it's how we
answer this challenge ahead in the next block of games,
or run the risk of being has-beens. (talk about crashing back to earth!!)
The positive is we're equal 3rd on the ladder with 8 other teams????
-and a possible upside ahead in the fixture, here's hoping.
That's the WTF planet I live on!! ((;
Why so serious?
Barrass will be back for Geelong and we'll win.

Barrass might not have won us this game but he's not easily replaced. Definitely one of our most consistent and important players.
If he misses next week we're in trouble.

Best three midfielders who should start in the center 85% time is Shuey , Yeo, Redden . That was the setup with Mitchell in charge why change it ?
Gaff needs to play wide like Masten. Gaff runs to all the wrong positions and clogs up the forward movement, keep him wide and get his running patterns to suit the team.
Sheed rotates with boots on a wing and the bench.
Playing Yeo deep forward is not the answer at all ! Played at least half of the game on Friday deep forward . Midfield bull play him there.
The slow movement out of the blackline this year is for another thread . Far too many players back playing for stats and not the team .
Hopefully the penny will drop soon with the coaching staff .

Why so serious?
Barrass will be back for Geelong and we'll win.

Barrass might not have won us this game but he's not easily replaced. Definitely one of our most consistent and important players.
If he misses next week we're in trouble.
Looks like he's in for a long one. Apparently went in for surgery.

To me schoey seems like he's going just coasting at WAFL level and was found out on friday. Should be better this week but its a great lesson for him as he's just too classy for that level but also doesn't dominate when he should be.

If he has gone in for foot surgery that is season over. Darling had something similar in the pre-season in 2015 and wasn't back on the park until July. Given we're already in April, Barass wouldn't be ready until late Aug at best and we wouldn't risk that before finals.

About this "surface" issue, it surprises me that there's no official AFL standard for "hardness" of the surface - actually, no it doesn't, the AFL are a bunch of dictatorial know-alls. But, it would be pretty easy (and useful) to go and sample every AFL venue for a value therefore you'd have a reference point. Right now, I am not aware of one existing. At least that way you could refute any claims about the surface being the cause of issues - I would think the insurance companies at the very least would be appreciative of something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back