Opinion Adelaide Football Club to Crouch "leave"... gets unhappy when he leaves

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it ?

A stupid decision? Really

Agreed, considering there is five pages on Adelaide on the St.Kilda forum, and considering it was edited like a MAFS episode to inflame controversy, anything we did would be misconstrued and debated for 100 pages on here.

So about 5-6 episodes into the series. It's a bit sh*t they don't cover us given the season we had.

But some thoughts on Adelaide. I think Sloane is a good guy. His heart is in the right place. Has a degree of empathy with strong drive. I'm not sold that he's a strong captain but he's a good fit for where they are.

Their coach though is a next level dumb ass. They start the series with Sloane explaining how they're not expected to do much and are rebuilding. Sloane seems to contradict this view in front of the coaches though when they are baking them, stating they have one of the best midfield.

Their coach starts to absolutely lose it as the series goes on. At one point he's begging and pleading for a player to slot a goal.

Tbh he looks under extreme pressure like he's been coaching them them 3 seasons and expected to make finals to save his job. Only problem is he's been in the seat for literally a handful of games.

Some of the other stuff is bewildering like the comments on fitness. Seems to be alot of strong talk without a lot of thought or smarts behind it.

Having said that... still don't come off nearly as bad as cogs. Who's very left field and green. Nice footage of Lenny trying to help him.

Only watched two episodes, but yes the Cogs storyline is a bit of a tragedy. And he isn't helped by his coach who comes across as a complete incompetent. The meeting where Cameron, in between stuffing his face, informs Cogs he is captain and needs to take responsibility for the spirit of the team is just bewildering, both in content and delivery. And then the almighty spray that Cameron gives after their round 2 loss to North — there is just no way in hell that modern day football players respond to that kind of treatment in any way other than '* this bastard' and losing their drive. The rest of the competition are unbelievably blessed that that list (which could have already won multiple flags) is being led by a buffoon.

You should hear his tough guy speech about how the body always has more to give. When you think you're done that you're not done.

I'm sitting there laughing. Thinking sure mate. The body will go. But it won't as fast as you want. He wants manic pressure. Some of the guys can't deliver that due to age and where they are at. So whilst they can move and run. They can't keep up.

Telling players the body has more to give won't suddenly make them run faster.

I just watched that scene, disagree with you on it.

Anyone who's been very good or better in anything (physical or intellectual) knows that there's always another level you can go to. You can push yourself harder and drive better performance from yourself.

I went to school with a guy who was an Olympic rower, won a gold medal. He says there were three or four specific times across his career when he had to take a big step up. Beforehand he thought he was working as hard as he could, then he found his next level and realised what he had to do, how much more he had to hurt, how he had to manage himself better, what sort of thinking helped him, etc.

This is why most players take time to "adjust" to the AFL. It's not that the game's particularly different to underage. It's that they don't realise how much they're capable of and they don't know how to get it out of themselves. Some players never get to that point. Some - Selwood, Riewoldt, Rowell, etc - have already been doing it in underage and quickly realise how they need to push themselves even further at AFL level. Part of it is the professionalism of doing the small things well, part of it is the mental aspect of controlling the controllables - but a big part of it is the workrate aspect of working out how to push your body harder than ever before.

I agree that Nicks doesn't comes across super well in the doco, but I think he's right on this one.

I just watched that scene, disagree with you on it.

Anyone who's been very good or better in anything (physical or intellectual) knows that there's always another level you can go to. You can push yourself harder and drive better performance from yourself.

I went to school with a guy who was an Olympic rower, won a gold medal. He says there were three or four specific times across his career when he had to take a big step up. Beforehand he thought he was working as hard as he could, then he found his next level and realised what he had to do, how much more he had to hurt, how he had to manage himself better, what sort of thinking helped him, etc.

This is why most players take time to "adjust" to the AFL. It's not that the game's particularly different to underage. It's that they don't realise how much they're capable of and they don't know how to get it out of themselves. Some players never get to that point. Some - Selwood, Riewoldt, Rowell, etc - have already been doing it in underage and quickly realise how they need to push themselves even further at AFL level. Part of it is the professionalism of doing the small things well, part of it is the mental aspect of controlling the controllables - but a big part of it is the workrate aspect of working out how to push your body harder than ever before.

I agree that Nicks doesn't comes across super well in the doco, but I think he's right on this one.

I guess it comes down to communicating well. Coaches like Hardwick are modern communicators who are more friends and mentors than an aggressive spur. The current generation don't work well under criticism and find that kind of personal attacks dispiriting. The fact that Crouch left suggests it didn't work that well.

Great exposure for clubs like Adelaide being criticised for this clip and Richmond dealing with their players punching on at kebab shops.

The Richmond one I'd watch.

Players v Supporters who picketed Punt Road about 30 years back.

Fists of fury or the desire to be whiny bitches and cause property damage, which reigns supreme?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back