Adelaide's "tippet" draft penalties

Remove this Banner Ad

JA27

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2009
Western District
AFL Club
Collingwood
should adelaide request an end of first round draft pick for the 2013 national draft?

they have already lost 1st & 2nd round selections in the 2012 draft, due to lose the same in 2013,

can't see how adelaides draft penalty can be bigger than essendons?

edit (also lost the rights to trade tippet)

should adelaide request an end of first round draft pick for the 2013 national draft?

they have already lost 1st & 2nd round selections in the 2012 draft, due to lose the same in 2013,

can't see how adelaides draft penalty can be bigger than essendons?

Why do the draft penalties have to be the same?

Did Adelaide get banned from the finals?

Was their coach suspended for 12 months?

Did they get fined 2 Mill?

Adelaide's penalties were exactly what they needed to be. They purposefully and wilfully cheated and the draft sanctions reflect that.

You ought to be arguing that ours were too soft. While we too were pinged on "poor governance", we basically facilitated the potential for harmful substances to enter multiple players' bodies. That infuriates me to no end. And unfortunately we've still got ASADA/WADA to come, so fear not Adelaide fans, there's more pain for us. :(

they also were not gifted an end of 1st round draft selection after being banned from the first 2 rounds of the national draft

They also weren't banned from finals or fined 2 Million dollars.....

Adelaide's penalties were exactly what they needed to be. They purposefully and wilfully cheated and the draft sanctions reflect that.
You ought to be arguing that ours were too soft. While we too were pinged on "poor governance", we basically facilitated the potential for harmful substances to enter multiple players' bodies. That infuriates me to no end. And unfortunately we've still got ASADA/WADA to come, so fear not Adelaide fans, there's more pain for us. :(

I genuinely fear for the entire future of the EFC. ASADA / WADA is a very real threat. What most people don't realise yet is that if a large group of players get sanctioned by ASADA it could mean the end of the entire football club as the players were told that all of the supplements were above board and will likely litigate for lost earnings, potential loss of future earnings as well as damages for their reputations and any future potential health ramifications. Litigation would likely result in a class action with a total of somewhere between 1-3 million dollars per player. If even half of the list received sanctions then we are talking somewhere along the lines of 20-60 million dollars. No club has that kind of money.

Adelaides actions were directl related to players acquisition/retention so penalties regarding that were most appropriate. Different cases, different penalties.

A small comparison between AFC and EssendonFC punishments:

Hird: 12 months no pay, can go to games etc
Trigg: 12 months down to 6 no pay, cannot set foot in the AFC, Cannot go to games, fined $50,000

Corcoran: 4 months
Bomber: $30,000
Harper: 3 months, cannot set foot in the AFC

Draft picks:
Adelaide: 2 years no first and second round + Tippett trade blocked (equiv to two 2nd round picks) = 4 + 2 draft picks lost.
Essendon: 2 years no first and second round this year, but end of first round pick next year. = 3 draft picks lost

The punishments handed out are way out of proportion. AFC should take a whack at the AFL. That gifted 1st round pick next year is offensive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather we got Essendon's penalties than ours. At least then we might be rid of Trigg.

Our club is so crap at these things.

Our cheating barely benefited us at all. The salary cap breach, if we had declared it, wouldn't have even been enough to actually exceed the salary cap. There were multiple instances by other clubs who received only a fine for actually exceeding the cap in the previous 10-15 years. The "we'll trade you to wherever you want to go" clause might have helped us keep Tippett away from the Gold Coast , but we lost Bock instead!

So we got caught out, instantly gave in and said we'll take whatever you give us, lost Tippett for nothing, and lost 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders. We were told we'd get a reduced penalty if we cooperated. More bullshit that we fell for.

Our administration is a joke. I'm not at all surprised Essendon's penalty seems lenient by comparison. We've got a looooong history of bending over. Just like we did when Andy D pushed us to get rid of Rendell. Just like we did over Gibbs. Just like we did over our shithouse compensation pick for former B&F and AA Nathan Bock. Hell, we even managed to come out worse than anyone on the Melbourne tanking thing. Our assistant coach copped a lengthy ban, while Melbourne got yet another handout to cover their fine.

I'm not angry at Essendon. I'm angry at the AFL. But above all, I'm sick to death of our incompetent and cowardly administration. * off already, Trigg.

It's worth a try but I can't see the afl budging on it. In the last 2 years they have dealt with salary cap rorting, and ped's. they must surely be thinking what's gonna happen next. They will stand firm on all penalties to send a message

It's worth a try but I can't see the afl budging on it. In the last 2 years they have dealt with salary cap rorting, and ped's. they must surely be thinking what's gonna happen next. They will stand firm on all penalties to send a message

Adelaide are salary cap cheats, Essendon is incompetent, there is a big difference.

Essendon are far more than incompetent if you listen to the parents of those involved. It could come down to criminal negligence if a player eventually suffers due to the mystery substances taking effect.

The AFC did not endanger anyone physically during the Tippet saga. There's a huge difference between what happened at the AFC and Essendon. Make no mistake about the serious nature of Essendon's "Incompetence"

I would rather we got Essendon's penalties than ours. At least then we might be rid of Trigg.

Our club is so crap at these things.

Our cheating barely benefited us at all. The salary cap breach, if we had declared it, wouldn't have even been enough to actually exceed the salary cap. There were multiple instances by other clubs who received only a fine for actually exceeding the cap in the previous 10-15 years. The "we'll trade you to wherever you want to go" clause might have helped us keep Tippett away from the Gold Coast , but we lost Bock instead!

So we got caught out, instantly gave in and said we'll take whatever you give us, lost Tippett for nothing, and lost 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders. We were told we'd get a reduced penalty if we cooperated. More bullshit that we fell for.

Our administration is a joke. I'm not at all surprised Essendon's penalty seems lenient by comparison. We've got a looooong history of bending over. Just like we did when Andy D pushed us to get rid of Rendell. Just like we did over Gibbs. Just like we did over our shithouse compensation pick for former B&F and AA Nathan Bock. Hell, we even managed to come out worse than anyone on the Melbourne tanking thing. Our assistant coach copped a lengthy ban, while Melbourne got yet another handout to cover their fine.

I'm not angry at Essendon. I'm angry at the AFL. But above all, I'm sick to death of our incompetent and cowardly administration. **** off already, Trigg.

This, we shafted ourselves. But since the penalties are not completely done (i.e this draft) I would like to see us challenge in the light of recent circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back