Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

And dylan shiel apparently. Are either players what thy have a burning nedd for?

And have others have mentioned, overlooked Worpel, who they do.

Id rate west coast richmond and collingwood in that department too

Yep, I am firm of view that getting Brady Rawlings is just as important a change to us as Rhyce Shaw.

If Essendon want to take the next step, I reckon they ned to change Dodoro just as much as the Worsfold.

Can’t compare SOS record to Dodoro on this thread unfortunately as for some reason it gets deleted by the mods.
Dodoro seems to be able to bring in most of his trade targets, which could be for a combination of reasons. SOS not had an attractive enough team to lure the same people, like Shiel, but he's extracted maximum value from some players he's offloaded such as Yarran, Gibbs, Bell.

Dodoro may be aware of some weaknesses in the list but it doesn't mean he hasn't tried to address them. Targets sometimes just don't come across.

I’d rather a list manager that can pit together a good balanced list and identifies players that fill a positional need rather then needing to get a trade done just because it’s trade week.
Maybe I’m just crazy though.

Yeah, surely "Winning trade week" would mean that you've potentially filled areas of need in your side and on your list.

Just chasing other clubs' want-aways and accomodating the "go-home factor" is pretty easy pickings for a Victorian club, when you don't really consider or try to improve your side's weaknesses.

Far too enamoured with acquiring "names" and "making a splash".

We've argued recruitment vs development for years. Not sure which one it is, but we sure do need a change.
its both

i firmly believe our number 1 issue is standards and mentality. We are soft and accept mediocre performances too easily.
The EF was a perfect example - Eagles players had all the time in the world on the ball. We had none.

As for Dodoro - it's simple i would think.
If there is a better option out there, we should hire them. Don't need to sack him. There are roles he can play away from the list stuff. i.e. Contract management, etc.
If there isn't, well then it isn't worth moving on him

Symptom of a wider epidemic. The EFC is not an elite run club.
Injuries
Compromised seasons (Coaching instability, injury issues, Investigations/bans, poor preseason preparations)
Game plans
And yep, list management (Our ruck and mid recruiting has been lacking)

All that said, there is a good starting 20/22 to work with when fit
Ambrose Zerk Francis
Saad Hurley McKenna
Merrett Heppell Smith
Stringer Daniher Fantasia
Tippa Hooker McKernan
... Shiel Parish
McGrath Snelling Redman ...

Get a decent ruck into that side
And a mid like Cunnington, Parker, Crouch, Wines
Get them fit and playing 2 way football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its both

i firmly believe our number 1 issue is standards and mentality. We are soft and accept mediocre performances too easily.
The EF was a perfect example - Eagles players had all the time in the world on the ball. We had none.

As for Dodoro - it's simple i would think.
If there is a better option out there, we should hire them. Don't need to sack him. There are roles he can play away from the list stuff. i.e. Contract management, etc.
If there isn't, well then it isn't worth moving on him

Symptom of a wider epidemic. The EFC is not an elite run club.
Injuries
Compromised seasons (Coaching instability, injury issues, Investigations/bans, poor preseason preparations)
Game plans
And yep, list management (Our ruck and mid recruiting has been lacking)

All that said, there is a good starting 20/22 to work with when fit
Ambrose Zerk Francis
Saad Hurley McKenna
Merrett Heppell Smith
Stringer Daniher Fantasia
Tippa Hooker McKernan
... Shiel Parish
McGrath Snelling Redman ...

Get a decent ruck into that side
And a mid like Cunnington, Parker, Crouch, Wines
Get them fit and playing 2 way football.

I would poach either Geelong or Sydneys' recruiting/list manager.

Essendon has a recruitment, development and coaching problem. Dodoro is one of many problems.

Dodoro's greatest weakness is that while he can identify good talent he has no aptitude for managing a list. For Dodoro, list management is nothing more than the accumulation of talent. Little thought is given to how well this talent fits together.

The Essendon list has plenty of talent but so few pieces complement each other well. So the end result is always less than the sum of its parts.

Yep, I am firm of view that getting Brady Rawlings is just as important a change to us as Rhyce Shaw.

If Essendon want to take the next step, I reckon they ned to change Dodoro just as much as the Worsfold.
One of WC big issues over the last decade was a tendency to waste or take big risks with it's second or third picks. Since Rawlings has come on board WC have been pretty studious with their drafting. The club seems to have prioritised increasing draft presence, then using those numbers to fill list gaps with undervalued players instead of reaching.

It's a strategy that's resulted in what seems to be an incredibly stacked forward line, where historically small forwards were our worst commodity and we had no ready replacements for JK and Darling. Now we have Oscar Allen, Waterman, Brander as tall prospects and Rioli, Ryan, Petch and Cameron as smalls. Player retention has been good. Haven't sold the farm in any trades.

WC fans love to bitch and moan, but Vozzo shored up what was a so-so list management operation, really consolidating the draft/retain priority of the club. Rawlings has taken that a step further and the club has been shrewd and strategic in it's list management choices. I think the only risky call they've made is taking OA and hoping Kelly would be available, only for Geelong to beat us by a pick or two. But we still got OA, Ryan and Petch. Finally, it seems WC has become more comfortable in playing draftees, to great success.

Last edited:
They need to identify why that is. Coaching? Selfish players? Saga fallout? It might not be fixable.

I don't currently fear them as an opponent, but they have the talent to improve.
It's because all the players you've listed are decent enough individually, but they don't mesh well as a side because:

1. It's missing at least two big bodied inside mids
2. A ruckman that can compete around the ground

It means that undersized midfielders like Merrett, Parish and McGrath are left to pick up the grunt that a Cripps, Dunkley, Kelly/Danger or Cunnington is supposed to do. Parish is the only one that should be there with the support of many.

At the moment, Heppell is the only one with any semblance of strength in the contest. He shouldn't be doing it alone.

It means that our best ball user in Merrett now has no time to dispose of the ball, making him a butcher. Shiel is another that shouldn't be in there all the time. He is more of a damaging receiver that breaks the lines. Couple that with a ruckman that gets pushed out too easily and you have a middle of the road side. The good sides will brush aside our midfield with ease because they can.

The two things I listed will complete change us as a side because we have the forwardline and defence.

It's easy to get the perception from the outside, that Dodoro's ego is the problem.

He MUST land the biggest fish. Even if that type of player isn't really what they need.

Like a spoilt child - he has to have them.

Further to that, he MUST 'win' each trade. It's so short sighted.
This usually results in no trade being done - which although Dodoro can beat his chest that he didn't lose and stood his ground like a hero, it also means they don't improve their list gradually and steadily. His ego gets in the way of bigger picture best interests of the club.

And finally, he won't let guys leave. His ego means he ends up paying duds like Laverde big bucks to retain them, when it's clearly in everyone's best interest for players to move on in many cases.

It's like he's collecting footy cards, not building a team.

But as I've said before, the Essendon fans are to blame. They laud shitness like no other supporter base in world sport.

Can’t compare SOS record to Dodoro on this thread unfortunately as for some reason it gets deleted by the mods.
One has been at 2 clubs over 10 years while the other has been at 1 club 20 years who have failed to win a final the last 15 years on the odd occasion they actually got there. Yeah the comparison is really similar.

One has been at 2 clubs over 10 years while the other has been at 1 club 20 years who have failed to win a final the last 15 years on the odd occasion they actually got there. Yeah the comparison is really similar.
The comparison is actually quite similar if you look at the results. SOS record is no higher than 11th in that time.

I don’t really get his celebrity and why he exists so prominently in the heads of opposition supporters. I think it’s just because they know his name. For example, St Kilda’s list is a bloody train wreck and nobody is starting angry threads about their list manager. Nobody even knows who it is. Same with plenty of clubs.

Actually, most of St Kilda's current list issues can be traced to Chris Pelchen's reign as football director. Like Dodoro, Pelchen was a high-profile recruiter with a fairly suspect record overall. It's telling that he's not working at a club anymore, and I suspect the same awaits Dodoro when Essendon finally wake up to him.

Seriouslyness though, say the league spilled all the list managers and there was a draft for them.

Who would go pick 1?

And where would Dodo go?

Were it not for Essendon he'd probably go undrafted and would hold an assistant role. He's not completely useless, but his track record shows that he cannot be the guy having the final say.

The comparison is actually quite similar if you look at the results. SOS record is no higher than 11th in that time.

It takes 4-5 years to get a idea on how well a recruiting and list management is going. SOS is a tough one to gauge his time at GWS due to the draft concessions and due to list management decisions that had to be made due to list size and also salary cap reasons.

Unless your trying to rub it in Carlton supporters face and show there recruiting has been every bit as ordinary as the Bombers I don't really see they need for a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back