AEWxNJPW - Forbidden Door United Centre Chicago, June 27th 9:00 AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

great show, can't really care about the botched finish to the 4-way cause the actual finish would have sucked too. 4 way matches that are clearly for political reasons have a cloud over them that can't be cleared and this one was no different. match should have been a tag. undercard and preshow was red hot, ospreay/cassidy are two of the best workers around and they were given the ball to play with so it rocked

Tana turned Mox heel for a minute there wowee

well, Tana is maybe the greatest of all time. he'll do that.

Cesaro is far too good to not be on TV. And from what I’ve seen is an awesome guy away from the spotlight. Really happy for him. He’s going to find it much easier playing to his strengths in AEW.

Man that show was a lot of fun. Multi company super-shows like this are aimed at people like me that watch a crap load of everything, so I'm happy with it.

On the pre-show Max Caster and Billy Gunn looked good. Danhausen playing that Assboys song was hilarious.

Liked Dax selling the arm and then coming back, FTR now IWGP Heavyweight, ROH and AAA tag champs. Lots of baggage for them when flying on planes.

Glad PAC got the All-Atlantic title in the 4 way, he's been due for a big win after the last few turbulent years he's had in the covid era.

Loved Sting, Darby and Shingo vs The Bucks and ELP. Sting's entrance and no selling the super kicks made the crowd go nuts.

Claudio showing up a great surprise, I thought it would be Jonathan Gresham but then I saw him on Rampage doing something else, so changed my mind.

Adam Cole was working injured in that 4 way wasn't he? I hope he's alright.

Finished the rest of the show. What an absolutely fantastic event, I think it's in my top few AEW PPVs. Just great from top to bottom and the crowd elevated it all and gave the New Japan guys their props too which was awesome.

The build was sloppy at best but that thing delivered in spades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finished the rest of the show. What an absolutely fantastic event, I think it's in my top few AEW PPVs. Just great from top to bottom and the crowd elevated it all and gave the New Japan guys their props too which was awesome.

The build was sloppy at best but that thing delivered in spades.
Totally agree they always nail the PPVs but the builds can be very ordinary. As a non new Japan fan I didn’t really care for a lot of the matches on paper but the majority of them delivered and went above what I expected. So pumped for Claudio debut and the crowd went nuts to me it was on par with the Punk and Danielson reactions so much better without piped in reactions that’s for sure.

The 2 matches that were co main event just felt flat to me after the debut from Claudio not sure there was anything that bad with the matches maybe just a long show with great stuff before hand that was hard to follow?

Glad I didn’t pre-order the show. My nocturnalism crossed over with Origin celebrations, so I wasn’t even out of bed til lunch today.

It also didn’t really feel like an AEW PPV. Very good show, no doubt - but it kind of felt like one of those Dynamite specials.

Loved the opener - might’ve been the 2nd best match on the show. Even though the stipulation spoiled the result.

Shooter is going to be amazing. As a young boy nothing seemed to set him aside apart from being Red Shoes’ son. (Also, where was Red Shoes?!) Then Mox gave him a rub, he went to RevPro on excursion during a pandemic, and now I see him a couple of years later and he’s amazing.

Didn’t care much for the 2nd match. As tag champs, as producers, and as former New Japan stars - not to mention the early hype that this was about the Undisputed Bullet Elite Club - the Bucks were bizarrely quiet on this show.

Dax’s selling was either extremely convincing, or he was legit injured. I love that they’re IWGP champs and hopefully they’ll tour soon. I’d be curious to know what AAA thinks given the NJPW/CMLL caused them to hold people off the show. Now FTR holds the awesome looking IWGP belts and the plastic looking AAA belts.

I’m not huge on OC, and I still struggle with Ospreay post-SpeakingOut. But I didn’t think this was a very good match.

I didn’t think Rosa vs Storm was very good either. Storm is ruined now, she’s already taken too many losses. And then I reflect on her a bit and think it’s been years since Toni actually had a really good match. Patriotism is the only reason to keep supporting them - but if we’re talking Australian women Tenille Dashwood has become a much better worker.

Loved Claudio & ZSJ. How often do you see matches like that these days? I’m glad he came out at the end, cos once again he did an extraordinary sell of his right biceps.

You see him today and it’s weird he wore trunks his whole WWE run - I thought he looked much taller in the tights.

The ending of the 4-way was really ugly with the Cole injury. I’m glad they finish matches rather than working with a concussion now, but it can’t have been that essential that Cole eat the pin that you couldn’t have taken him out and keep going. Although given every Okada match has been the same over the last 3 years, they were obviously on the closing stretch anyway.

And then I thought the main event was good, but not great. The gusher off a sling blade was extremely weird, and it was just too much blood for the style of match it was.

But the post match then made it feel very much like the go-home for a big show. Also, I really hate that spot where his whole team is out there, but Claudio has to wait for his music.

It’ll be weird seeing the Claudio/Eddie stuff play out - especially when Eddie’s so damn good you’ll never know if he’s shooting or not.

A solid 8/10 show, and the lack of ads was appreciated. But Dynamite felt like the end goal.

Last edited:
For all the personalities and politics that would have gone into making this show, I think they pretty much nailed it.

I love Toni Storm and would have been fine with an upset but they need to get something done with Rosa. Much like Hangman, they've put a lot into her chase for the title but don't seem sure of what to do now that she's got it. If there was a female version of Punk on the roster cough*Sasha Banks*cough then I think they would have made a change. Rosa needs a meaty rivalry that she can work through over the next couple of months. Toni could be that person.

The ending of the IWGP Title match was weird. If Cole had taken the Rainmaker and then White took out Okada and stole the pin then it would have been fine. Cole bailed on that though so he must have been feeling pretty horrible. Watching it back I think the bump on that first dropkick is what did it.

I also loved OC taking the absolute piss out of Ospreay and that actually playing into Will's tendency to do OTT flippy s**t. The moonsault-moonsault-running shooting star bit was character perfect with OC playing possum, being good enough to keep moving but Ospreay being just that extra step too good/aggressive in trying to hit something. Kicking out of the Hidden Blade also got a massive pop from me.

Love Claudio showing up and being put over strong BUT (and this is where politics come in) I feel like ZSJ needed more of a showing here. Doubly so if they still want to build to ZSJ v Danielson "Best technical wrestler in the world". Yes, you want your new upper card guy to be put over strong but ZSJ needed to walk away looking like a killer too.

I thought TK might put the title on Tanahashi, just to have that name forever attached to it's lineage, but Mox was the right call. His story has actually been undersold IMO. He's gone from a path of self destruction to being AEW's go to guy.

Overall it was a great show though and I had a huge grin on my face most of the night :D

The ending of the IWGP Title match was weird. If Cole had taken the Rainmaker and then White took out Okada and stole the pin then it would have been fine. Cole bailed on that though so he must have been feeling pretty horrible. Watching it back I think the bump on that first dropkick is what did it.

It might end up being a good opportunity to educate wrestling fans on what a concussion looks like, and how easily it can occur.

It might’ve been the dropkick - but I went back and watched it, and it very much seemed cumulative to me following White’s sleeper suplex, cos you go back and the lights were “dimmed” during the trade exchange. Then he kind of came back, Page moonsaulted him right on the head. Then he took the neck breaker and drop kick. Then he ate another dropkick. Then a 3rd dropkick, body slam, and that was it… with Coke trying to kick out and White holding him down.

White did well to realise what was going on, cos he hadn’t been in the ring for a couple of minutes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back