Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Port Adelaide > 30 pts

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, I'm not unhappy that he did well - but it's not like it wasn't his own behaviour that lead to all the criticism.

I've always felt bad for the s**t he got for on-field, especially with the way he was thrown to the wolves to start his career, but I certainly don't think his 'story' is anything remarkable, especially with the performance of 4 debutants today.
On the pressure on him alone he's doing great.

No one has had more pressure than him

Nice to see Burton has responded positively to the disappointment of getting traded. Probably his best game since 2017.

Nice win to Port. Melbourne can't beat decent sides without relying on injury depletion, and Port look like they might be a decent side this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne looked unfit yeah and everyone will focus on that negative - but Port also looked extra fit. Wouldn't surprise me if they happen to make a few other sides look unfit before the season is out - especially when they have 2 rucks, a bloke like Westhoff covering the ground, Watts versatile - lots of talls who are good runners or have back-up. After all the hype about fitness 5 years ago with that Liverpool guy, it looks like they are back to that.

I had em pegged for a drop down the ladder as I thought we'd see a rebuild, but I guess as West Coast showed last year - you can introduce multiple debutants round 1 and not fall down instantly.

I mean, I'm not unhappy that he did well - but it's not like it wasn't his own behaviour that lead to all the criticism.

I've always felt bad for the s**t he got for on-field, especially with the way he was thrown to the wolves to start his career, but I certainly don't think his 'story' is anything remarkable, especially with the performance of 4 debutants today.

Watts was the butt of all jokes as a Demon, from everywhere including port fans. The only ones who supported him were Melbournians. Then when he left, he thought he had no support AT ALL.

Dees should have come out and made a statement but half way through the second quarter they were running in concrete. They have the talent but have been put on a pedestal and don’t think they have the mental fortitude. A few more ass kickings before they become great. Credit to Port, they copped a whack early and fought well. Round 1 is a bastard.

Love footy. How good is it when we have upsets like these. Only one round in and two of the pre-season premiership faves get rolled, a champion player is out for the year. Dramatic. Agree with McGuire, that post match speech was one of the best I've seen. Just raw, real emotion. Good to see, good on ya Wattsy.

Well played son. Well played Port.

Adelaide teams have had a lot of time training in the extreme heat and have had a longer preseason. This was Melbournes first finals, so probably some adjustment.
You know that the impact of a longer preseason is a myth.

Melbourne match fitness base lasted 3 weeks longer than Port's last year. So they don't need as long to get back to speed.

The heat is a valid point tho.

Woeful performance, and Port could have won by even more if we didn’t jump them and the umps didn’t spoon feed us in the first half.

Even when we play well, I’m still concerned about our inside v outside balance, and Port absolutely creamed is on the outside today.

Goodwin has to earn his bucks over the next 3 weeks w/ Geelong, Essendon and Sydney.

Back