Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 1 - Hawks v Bombers Sun March 19th 3:20pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow that was too easy. Going to be a lean decade coming up for Hawthorne.

A decade huh?

Its an equalisation league. A decade is a long, long time. I havent got the stats in front of me but I would say its extremely unlikely that any team would go longer than a decade without even winning a final

Couple of under the radar bombers
-zerk was excellent after a couple of early turnovers. Kid has gone to the fletcher school of defending. Looks awkward and outsized but gets the job done

-durham is a workhorse. Does not stop running, chasing, presenting, and does a lot of hard graft

Hard to take too much out after playing witches hats, but Redman was outstanding too. Always saw him as a bit of a depth player, his kicking was elite.

Scott was always going to improve the brand of footy, more committed defensively, while still moving the ball with some pace. Solid win despite the quality of opposition

Hawks just need to continue playing the kids, rated McKenzie before the draft, looks extremely composed and a beautiful kick

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks brought the effort and intensity quarter 1.
Bad luck they couldn't maintain it.

Happy Essendon mids lifted as they should against a young Hawks outfit.

Ward, Newcombe, McKenzie will all be good players in the future.

Jiath and Sicily played well IMO. Jiath is so fit, great long goal. Thye needed more support.
Bruest did enough 3 goals in a loss.

All in all Hawks better players played well. Are likely in for a long year, but if they get Harley Reid will definetly be worth it. He beat all Essendon mids in their practice match.

I was probbaly most impressed with perkins bobbing up with 3.
Plus the Davey and Walla goals special.
Langford did surprising well in defence.

Can't wait for VOSS to be named in the round 2 side.

A decade huh?

Its an equalisation league. A decade is a long, long time. I havent got the stats in front of me but I would say its extremely unlikely that any team would go longer than a decade without even winning a final
I looked up those stats cobber, Hawks last finals win was in 2015. With my forecast of Hawthorn being awful for at least the next 3 seasons that would be a decade without even winning a final. Welcome to the club.

Hawks brought the effort and intensity quarter 1.
Bad luck they couldn't maintain it.

Happy Essendon mids lifted as they should against a young Hawks outfit.

Ward, Newcombe, McKenzie will all be good players in the future.

Jiath and Sicily played well IMO. Jiath is so fit, great long goal. Thye needed more support.
Bruest did enough 3 goals in a loss.

All in all Hawks better players played well. Are likely in for a long year, but if they get Harley Reid will definetly be worth it. He beat all Essendon mids in their practice match.

I was probbaly most impressed with perkins bobbing up with 3.
Plus the Davey and Walla goals special.
Langford did surprising well in defence.

Can't wait for VOSS to be named in the round 2 side.
I had Essendon making the eight in my initial ladder prediction that I did before Christmas but then after the practice game against St Kilda, I thought maybe drop them down 2 or 3 spots as it might take a bit of time for things to click with the way Scott wants you to play.

We may have given you a real shot of confidence going forward with the new plan yesterday and how easy it was for you to transition, and as pointed out on fox footy yesterday only 1 club who started the season on top of the ladder has missed finals in the last 28 years. So there’s that.

I don’t think Essendon are a bottom 4 side like many have made out, but I guess some might suggest there’s a risk that they might become a middling side.

Last edited:
So serious footy talk not angry slapping contests. I only saw bits of the game. Individual newbies doing things here and there, but why is there no pattern or plan Lewis missing is not the reason, but again I think we are unable to hold marks, in packs, and that is how Essendon got us last year in the air.

Also we don't seem to be able to find people very well in the forward line, now I know this is a very new squad and these kids may get mobile for half a quarter then run out of puff after the second part of the quarter.
The same lack of stamina was in fadeouts last year.
So not sure what we are seeing, Sicily did some saving , but structuring forward where there needs to be some plan.

Maybe they should designate two or three goal scorers? And play around that plan each quarter and have an individual set up, for those three each.
Then have a couple of plans for each three players, it is almost like playing to a drill a little complicated , but when you hit the forwards and nothing happens, you need to have a try at having a play , like Fred is our teams FOR GOAL target , then joe is our teams FOR GOAL target , then bill is our teams FOR GOAL target, TWICE EACH

Six absolute endeavours to put a score up and confuse the opposition. by a switch to another of the players as in, it's my turn for one of my two?
Giving three blokes two chances to score each , and the whole thing is to make the shot on goal happen, several times.

Other opportunities and instances for a score, can happen from others, if there's a chance.
Done for each quarter, discipline and yes its a practice style of learning in actual game day, but we lost by ten goals????

This set up for using a total structured plan is for us having a young young team , its like writing notes , for something you want to remember .
And in the end you don't need the note you just fall into disciplined habit. Now to do this is not easy, but really folks, we took a couple of big guns to the edge last season?
We have lost some medium talent , O'Meara and Tom, and super talent Gunner, of course, doing a northern exposure in Brisbane.

But ten goals , what the hell happened. Do we have a plan or is it just trial and error again, our boys seem to not be able to score.

I am curious if people know what I mean, by this "choreographed" plan for game day. That word may give you an idea, pretty hard
I guess but look at 07to 08 then 2011 nearly in gf, 2012 in but lose then 13, 14 , 15. They looked like machines. Is that how it happened.

I had a feeling we would look a bit better, than a flogging from Essendon?????

But one thing umpiring, except for a terrible "grabbed without the ball" in our forward 50, either to Wingard or Newcombe can't remember didn't see much, the Umps were not half bad. So I hope they keep it up.

The push in the back to mark??? That is the only thing that had no consistency over the round, and Tom Hawkins habit (which he gets away with much too many times and blatantly...umpires look!!!)
It has to be called properly, some got away with the shove and others didn't I probably looked at 3 to 4 games only bits and pieces
Thoughts? Anyone else have a comment on the "what is a push in the back" ?

Bent elbow into the back, body to chest into the back, how far sideways push goes before its a push in the back.
The one I know for sure was Toms on Friday night, early and as clean a push with hands in the back, not paid as a push, but as a mark to Tom .
It is just unfair, and the commentators talk him up and he is a great footballer don't get me wrong, but his back pushing has been gotten away with for ages. It needs to stop. Umpires???????

I looked up those stats cobber, Hawks last finals win was in 2015. With my forecast of Hawthorn being awful for at least the next 3 seasons that would be a decade without even winning a final. Welcome to the club.
Correct, its eight years now and I think even winning a final is a long way off. Let alone a GF but saying that I think the 18 team competition has definitely had an affect on the standard of AFL footy and that some teams may be decades away rather than one decade.

Fremantle all talked up, and lose? Expected to be world beaters. Maybe it is only round one.

Good luck bombers you have had a long time in the wilderness, some of it unfair.

We'll be ready for you next time though heh heh..

Correct, its eight years now and I think even winning a final is a long way off. Let alone a GF but saying that I think the 18 team competition has definitely had an affect on the standard of AFL footy and that some teams may be decades away rather than one decade.

Fremantle all talked up, and lose? Expected to be world beaters. Maybe it is only round one.

Good luck bombers you have had a long time in the wilderness, some of it unfair.

We'll be ready for you next time though heh heh..
Exactly right, equalisation isn’t an exact science, you still need to pick the right players and have the right culture. We are exhibit A of how you go 19 years without a finals win, Richmond before us we’re close to 30 years. Hawthorn is now pushing a decade, Carlton as well almost a decade I believe. It’s a long time in the wilderness for some of the big Melbourne clubs.

Back