Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:
These are our inside midfielders.

Parish 181cm
Caldwell 184cm
Shiel 180cm
Merrett 180cm
Hobbs 183cm
Yes and the issue is not their height but more they are not all power. Hobbs is. The rest vary. You can play a power inside game if you are 180cm.
The problem is we need to move away from a few we have and not just draft a 190cm midfielder to try and compliment them.

I’m leaning towards him not being the guy for us….but I really liked what I saw.

The danger in passing him up is that he’s more Steele Sidebottom than Darcy Parish. He has a great engine. Not the user Sidebottom is but a long way ahead of Parish.

I thought he looked like the best mid out there in the final game.
I look at them body size and that was the comparison I was making. We would have to completely change our midfield to fit him in. He has a very fine body. It is virtually the same as Parish at the same age. If you look at him compared to Clarke you can see the difference. He can play . He is very good and he runs both ways.

What’s the general consensus around this years draft ? Heard it’s weak outside the top 5-6
Not weak but very even. It goes down to the next level of players a bit sooner but there is a decent amount of good next level players .

Put simply, has to be Cadman (if available) at our first
Simply put, we should have the easiest choice in the draft apart from Brisbane with Ashcroft. There's a clear cut top 5 in Tsatas, Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Sheezel and Cadman. We pick whichever one is available at pick 5.

If we get Bowes and 7 (read: 8) then we'll have a decision to make. I see Gold Coast taking Clark, Hawthorne probably goes with Mackenzie or Humphrey and we take whichever one is left over.

I look at them body size and that was the comparison I was making. We would have to completely change our midfield to fit him in. He has a very fine body. It is virtually the same as Parish at the same age. If you look at him compared to Clarke you can see the difference. He can play . He is very good and he runs both ways.
Totally get it, not disagreeing.
Just saying that of his game is more Sidebottom than Parish then it’s easier to fit him in.

Mostly I just loved what I saw….but he’s not really the guy for us at pick 4. Wardlaw, Cadman and Sheezel - I want one of those 3.

Simply put, we should have the easiest choice in the draft apart from Brisbane with Ashcroft. There's a clear cut top 5 in Tsatas, Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Sheezel and Cadman. We pick whichever one is available at pick 5.

If we get Bowes and 7 (read: 8) then we'll have a decision to make. I see Gold Coast taking Clark, Hawthorne probably goes with Mackenzie or Humphrey and we take whichever one is left over.
My fear is that Tsatas is the one left at pick 4….hoping WCE choose to go local with pick 2 and go be of the others is then available at our pick.

My fear is that Tsatas is the one left at pick 4….hoping WCE choose to go local with pick 2 and go be of the others is then available at our pick.
Yes, let's be scared that the bigger inside mid is available. West Coast will go Tsatas or Wardlaw (fingers crossed it's Wardlaw) and we'll get the other one. Nothing surer for me.

Surely we aren’t equating height to physicality? Wardlaw is far more powerful and more physical than Tsatas.
I'd take Tsatas every day of the week

I'd take Tsatas every day of the week
Because you like the fact he has no defensive game and is not really physical ?
His is a very good player. Has some real footy smarts, good enough outside speed , makes quick decisions and will be a good player but I suspect with us he will just get based into submission .
The thing that says no to me is looking at him live on Thursday and in the NAB finals he showed no inclination to work the other way at all and a lot of the time he stood around Merrett style just watching the play when he did not have the footy.

Given we are taking Alwyn who also plays an outside midfield game I think we are just loading up with too many of similar style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane - Ashcroft
North - Cadman
West Coast - Wardlaw/Tsatas
GWS - Sheezel
Ess - Tsatas/Wardlaw
GC - J.Clark/Hollands
Hawks - ? Humphries might suit
Ess - Think id be deciding between Phillipou and Hollands here

Be a good spot to be

Could keep all the mid height sayers happy with Bowes, Phillipou and Tsatas

With the loss of hopper and taranto i wouldnt rule out Tsatas or Wardlaw at GWS

Last edited:
GC out: Bowes, 7
GC in: ESS F2

Ess out: 4, 22, F2
Ess in: 1,12

NM out: 1
NM in: 4, 19, 22

GWS out: 12 (Rich), 19 (Rich)
GWS in: 7

Essendon take Cadman and next best at 12. NM get more picks while still holding an early pick. GC clear Bowes contract and get future points. GWS improve position as will have many picks after trade with Richmond
Does Bowes go to GWS there?

The first issue that needs to be solved is can North split their pick 1. From all reports they will do it if the right deal comes up. Otherwise I think they pick Cadman. People in the West media say Eagles like Hewett.

I am not on the popular wagon here but given our total lack of leaders and hard edge players I am hoping we go one of Wardlaw / Humphrey / Clarke .
I really rate Clarke. I think a leadership comb like him and Hobbs could set us up for years long term. Do not care about him being 180cm. He ticks way too many boxes to discount him based on size.
There is a reason why we are an average side. It is because we have limited players like Clarke.

I’m fairly confident on draft night, it will be a decision between Tsatas and Wardlaw. For me Wardlaw is clearly the better player, and if fit, would go pick 1.

idk I’m not really sure on who the other clubs go with, also it’d be good if we got pick 8 from Gold Coast, then we could focus more on list needs as their is quite a diverse amount of prospects around pick 8 and having a high end talent coming as well, would really set us up nicely.

If we get pick 8, I’d really want Wardlaw more because imo he would solve a lot of issues for our midfield. Also, with pick 8, I’d be going for Mackenzie, Phillipou, Hustwaite route of selection. Then having players like the Davey twins and Munkara on top, is a very special draft haul that sets us up for a decade.

These are our inside midfielders.

Parish 181cm
Caldwell 184cm
Shiel 180cm
Merrett 180cm
Hobbs 183cm
I would simply trade Parish out to make room for another midget midfielder, draft Clarke and also draft Humphry because we need that kind of hard edge and leadership more than anything else imo

Yes, let's be scared that the bigger inside mid is available.

What is the value of big bodied inside mids that don't win hard ball? A bit of marking around the ground? May as well downgrade our pick for Phillipou.

What is the value of big bodied inside mids that don't win hard ball? A bit of marking around the ground? May as well downgrade our pick for Phillipou.
Would have Phillipou if we can get the Bowes and 7 deal, depending on who gets taken by Gold Coast and Hawthorne. There's a clear cut top 5 according to all the watchers and we'll get whoever's leftover. Only way I trade 4 is if we can get multiple top 12 picks.

Would have Phillipou if we can get the Bowes and 7 deal, depending on who gets taken by Gold Coast and Hawthorne. There's a clear cut top 5 according to all the watchers and we'll get whoever's leftover. Only way I trade 4 is if we can get multiple top 12 picks.
I'm interested in your opinion about it. What football deficiency for the team do you want to address when you say we need a big bodied mid? For mine that suggests an emphasis to win contested ball and have physicality around stoppage, for you it seems to imply something else? Is it just the marking deficiency?

I can live with this.

I'm interested in your opinion about it. What football deficiency for the team do you want to address when you say we need a big bodied mid? For mine that suggests an emphasis to win contested ball and have physicality around stoppage, for you it seems to imply something else? Is it just the marking deficiency?
A bit of both. We only really have Martin, Durham and Langford as marking targets through the middle. Geelong have Duncan, Smith, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Holmes and Blicavs.

A bit of both. We only really have Martin, Durham and Langford as marking targets through the middle. Geelong have Duncan, Smith, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Holmes and Blicavs.
Wonder if blicavs is the blueprint for this cox experiment.

On duncan, smith and guthrie - they get those marks by running hard to good spots and their teammates not ballsing up the pass.
But its a fair point. Martin and Langford are the only two marking mids we have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back