List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 10-APR-2024)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
Overtaken by mcinerney yes. Stephens and Warner are yet to debut, I'd say jury still out on that one. In any case you need depth players that can cover injuries and also push others to perform better. As you said would be on peanuts. I've got no problem with his re-signing. Plenty of others I'd delist before him. He still has time. How long did we give that figjam Rose before we delisted him?

I thought the same about Rose though.

Stephens and Warner were both emergencies in round 1 and also got better wraps from Swans fans who saw match sim over the summer than Bell did. It just seems like the coaching staff don't rate him that highly, and yet they re-signed him.

I thought the same about Rose though.

Stephens and Warner were both emergencies in round 1 and also got better wraps from Swans fans who saw match sim over the summer than Bell did. It just seems like the coaching staff don't rate him that highly, and yet they re-signed him.
Being in Melbourne I can only go off what I read and I havnt seen anything to know where he sits compared to the other two. Isn't warner an inside mid as opposed to bell being an outside mid?

Being in Melbourne I can only go off what I read and I havnt seen anything to know where he sits compared to the other two. Isn't warner an inside mid as opposed to bell being an outside mid?

Yep, but there's never going to be two spots up for grabs in the midfield, so essentially McInerney, Stephens, Warner, Clarke and Bell are all vying for a midfield opening. All signs point to Bell being fifth in line out of that group, so unless we hit an unprecedented injury crisis where JPK, Parker, Florent and Rowbottom are all out, really can't see him ever getting a game.

Don't wanna bang on about it, not his fault, but the Bell re-signing was just silly then, and it's silly now. He's 21 now but clearly been overtaken by three teenagers in McInerney, Stephens and Warner. It's not a big deal, he's costing us peanuts but I just hate wasted list spots and bad calls.
He did look semi-promising last year though and I don't think there was too much depth at the draft?

Probably gets cut at the end of the year anyway, we only gave him an extra year?

Hmmmm the OP suggests he was only resigned until 2020. Agree 2021 is longer than what they should've done.
Yeah. His insta story at the time from his manager I believe said 2 years but that was never confirmed by the club so mods put it down as 1 year.

Yeah. His insta story at the time from his manager I believe said 2 years but that was never confirmed by the club so mods put it down as 1 year.

Yep this. Nothing official from the club that he was signed past this season but they also never officially said he was promoted to the senior list when he was re-signed so it leads more credence to the instagram post even though its not an "official source"

glad you don't work at the club

time will tell i guess
We have the following players off-contract:

Amartey, Bell, Brand, Clarke, Foot, Fox, Grey, Hewett, Kennedy, Knoll, Ling, Maibaum, McLean, Melican, Reynolds, Ronke, Rowles, Stoddart, Thurlow, Wicks.

Clarke isn't the first name you would re-sign on that list, but I don't think he would be the last either. He'd want to be getting game time at AFL level for a decent chunk of this season if he has is to have a chance, though.

We have the following players off-contract:

Amartey, Bell, Brand, Clarke, Foot, Fox, Grey, Hewett, Kennedy, Knoll, Ling, Maibaum, McLean, Melican, Reynolds, Ronke, Rowles, Stoddart, Thurlow, Wicks.

Clarke isn't the first name you would re-sign on that list, but I don't think he would be the last either. He'd want to be getting game time at AFL level for a decent chunk of this season if he has is to have a chance, though.

Correct me if I am wrong but next year is the last BIG buddy pay year. Without any huge pay increases in below there is a chance to go after a promising gun mid or KPP.

My ranking for re-signing:
1- Kennedy (less $$ prob only 1/2 years)
2- Hewett (3 years same $$$)
3 - Melican (2 years same $$)
4- Ling (1 year same $$- final chance)
5-Fox 1/2 years same $$ - solid depth)

Meh:
Ronke - only re-sign if we loose papley. Behind taylors by end of year IMO.
Clarke - fine depth if cheap
Brand - of depth but no great loss/
Knoll - depends how he develops. With still on learning call depends how he finishes year.

McLean - per above keep one of knoll McLean.

De-list:
1 - Amartey
2- Bell
3- Foot,
4- Grey
5- Maibaum,
6- Reynolds,
7- Rowles
8- Stoddart
9- Thurlow
10- Wicks.

I would like us to take a punt on a few rucks as its such a clear weakness for the list and the ones we have seem plodders at best. Also need to strengthen mids (inside to help kennedy/robottom/parker) and KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct me if I am wrong but next year is the last BIG buddy pay year. Without any huge pay increases in below there is a chance to go after a promising gun mid or KPP.

Meh:
Knoll - depends how he develops. With still on learning call depends how he finishes year.

De-list:
1 - Amartey
2- Bell
3- Foot,
4- Grey
5- Maibaum,
6- Reynolds,
7- Rowles
8- Stoddart
9- Thurlow
10- Wicks.

I would like us to take a punt on a few rucks as its such a clear weakness for the list and the ones we have seem plodders at best. Also need to strengthen mids (inside to help kennedy/robottom/parker) and KPD.
Lot of stuff I agree with but think you're a bit quick to write some of the players off. Some we haven't even seen play reserves, like Rowles.

Meh:

De-list:
1 - Amartey
2- Bell
3- Foot,
4- Grey
5- Maibaum,
6- Reynolds,
7- Rowles
8- Stoddart
9- Thurlow
10- Wicks.

Whats the fascination of trading a gun mid? Parker has 2-3 good years left, Hewett is entering his prime, Florent, Rowbottom, Stephens, Warner, McInerny etc are coming through, then theres Campbell and Gulden at this years draft. The Mids are developing nicely
To trade in a gun mid costs a lot of money and a lot of picks.. money and picks which might be better spent else where.
Lot of stuff I agree with but think you're a bit quick to write some of the players off. Some we haven't even seen play reserves, like Rowles.
Yep agree.. Rowles finished top 10 in the sprint, 2nd in standing vertical leap, 1st in running vertical leap at last years combine. Id put Foot, Grey and Maibaum on that list too

Whats the fascination of trading a gun mid? Parker has 2-3 good years left, Hewett is entering his prime, Florent, Rowbottom, Stephens, Warner, McInerny etc are coming through, then theres Campbell and Gulden at this years draft. The Mids are developing nicely
To trade in a gun mid costs a lot of money and a lot of picks.. money and picks which might be better spent else where.

Yep agree.. Rowles finished top 10 in the sprint, 2nd in standing vertical leap, 1st in running vertical leap at last years combine. Id put Foot, Grey and Maibaum on that list too

I just meant financially we will have that option (for the first time in years). Our midfield group is younger than most and i agree could be solid in 2/3 years but still relies on Parker/Kennedy overly. If either gets injured we dont have any senior player to support.

For the rest- i doubt we will delist 10 players, i just havent seen anything which makes me think they will make a difference, areed the youngesters probs should be given chance in non-COVID year to develop prior to making a call.

I just meant financially we will have that option (for the first time in years). Our midfield group is younger than most and i agree could be solid in 2/3 years but still relies on Parker/Kennedy overly. If either gets injured we dont have any senior player to support.

For the rest- i doubt we will delist 10 players, i just havent seen anything which makes me think they will make a difference, areed the youngesters probs should be given chance in non-COVID year to develop prior to making a call.
Yep, the worry for me is that the midfield would collapse if JPK and Parker were injured.. Its been great this year to see Florent come on. Hewett is solid, So after JPK retires (maybe the end of this year?) Theres still players in there. Loved Rowbottoms last game, fingers crossed he keeps improving. Horse speaks of Rowbottom as a real competitor, he speaks of Warner in the same manner.
Id rather Save the $1million and develop the crew we've got , but if we were to trade in a mid, trade in a gun 3rd - 4th year player for 1/2 the price. theres a couple at GWS..

We've turned over 10 players each of the last two years and wouldn't be surprised if that happened again. When I go through the playing list, theres about 10 that I can see going, most of which you pointed out. I guess it will depend on the draft. I reckon we could draft another 4-5 players, or draft just the 2 academy kids and trade a couple of very good players?? The list managers should have a pretty good idea now as to which of the under 22's they want to keep, and which of the older guys they want.

Nice to have the cash though.. opens many opportunities

we probably dont even have that much cash left to spend

the club has gone all in on the youngsters and they're (heeney, mills, aliir) and soon to be (rowbottom, paps, florent) probably on cash players at the age of 25-28 would be on

probably why we can only bring in fringe players because the budget really isnt as good as we th ink it is with the retirees

we probably dont even have that much cash left to spend

the club has gone all in on the youngsters and they're (heeney, mills, aliir) and soon to be (rowbottom, paps, florent) probably on cash players at the age of 25-28 would be on

probably why we can only bring in fringe players because the budget really isnt as good as we th ink it is with the retirees
disagree.
More likely we traded in 'fringe' players to save our cash for the 2020,21,22 trade periods
We traded 5 x fringe players... or 2 x cheap players with potential (Clarke, Thurlow), Taylor who has a 3yr contract, and 2 x delisted cheap players (Brand and Grey)
Taylor, Brand and Gray were traded to offer some experience and some depth - not to win the flag

'98 we tried to trade Darcy Moore then Langdon, neither of which would have been cheap, so likely we had money then. Since then Macca, Grundy, Smith, Jack have all retired, Tippet is off the books, Rowan, Jones and Hanners have left and now Buddys contract is less.
Heeney and Mills will be on good coin, I doubt Allir is. Im thinking theres a lot of room in the cap, but agree that theres a lot being set aside for re-contracting the young crew. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of big names come in over the next two years, or at least some action at the trade table with players in their early to mid 20's

We are nowhere near a premiership, happy to recycle players and draft youth.

For us to have a sniff at a title, we finish top 4, naismith and buddy play every final, sam reid plays every final and 2 better mids are in our side. Its not going to happen, so better just stick to the slow rebuild.

So the Carlton/Melbourne/Gold Coast suns route? Yeah, I'll pass.

They have spent years, over a decade really, in the wilderness by constantly loading up at the draft thinking that getting every elite junior they can will take them to the promised land, but never having the experience and leadership around those elite juniors to ever take them beyond just 'promising players.'

We have been loading up at the draft. Our current team has 7 first or second round draft picks from the last five drafts before last year in it. But at some point you've got to stop rebuilding and start making progress. We have a solid group of young players and a few now entering their primes. We're getting a clearer idea about what our future team will look like, where the holes in the team are, which players will come good and which ones might not. It will set us up in a good position to target players to trade in.

Add many more teenagers to the list and we'll just be dragging down, not improving, the group we just spent the last five or so years building.

We are nowhere near a premiership, happy to recycle players and draft youth.

For us to have a sniff at a title, we finish top 4, naismith and buddy play every final, sam reid plays every final and 2 better mids are in our side. Its not going to happen, so better just stick to the slow rebuild.
the draft has been good to watch over the last few years.. especially the last two.
Blakey, Rowbum, McInerny, Foot, Stephens, Gould, Taylor, Warner.. Then McLean, Rowles and Oconnor.. Theres a fair few best 22 players in that lot
Be interesting if we can somehow get a pick before the academy kids.. Thinking we may start to trade and stick with the 2 academy kids.
More than happy with Taylor, Gray and Brand as trades last year.. just to offer some support to the developing crew

Meh:

De-list:
1 - Amartey
2- Bell
3- Foot,
4- Grey
5- Maibaum,
6- Reynolds,
7- Rowles
8- Stoddart
9- Thurlow
10- Wicks.

List sizes are supposed to be cut to 40. we have 46 currently. thats 6 to go. Then you have to make room for draftees thats probably 4. so yeah 10ish have to be cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back