List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 10-APR-2024)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
So the Carlton/Melbourne/Gold Coast suns route? Yeah, I'll pass.

They have spent years, over a decade really, in the wilderness by constantly loading up at the draft thinking that getting every elite junior they can will take them to the promised land, but never having the experience and leadership around those elite juniors to ever take them beyond just 'promising players.'

We have been loading up at the draft. Our current team has 7 first or second round draft picks from the last five drafts before last year in it. But at some point you've got to stop rebuilding and start making progress. We have a solid group of young players and a few now entering their primes. We're getting a clearer idea about what our future team will look like, where the holes in the team are, which players will come good and which ones might not. It will set us up in a good position to target players to trade in.

Add many more teenagers to the list and we'll just be dragging down, not improving, the group we just spent the last five or so years building.
I reckon we are two years of bringing in kids first to go. Unless you are banking on Buddy and Naismith playing finals this year and next or bringing in a power forward and tap ruck next year.

the draft has been good to watch over the last few years.. especially the last two.
Blakey, Rowbum, McInerny, Foot, Stephens, Gould, Taylor, Warner.. Then McLean, Rowles and Oconnor.. Theres a fair few best 22 players in that lot
Be interesting if we can somehow get a pick before the academy kids.. Thinking we may start to trade and stick with the 2 academy kids.
More than happy with Taylor, Gray and Brand as trades last year.. just to offer some support to the developing crew
Me too. Im also hoping we'll have an early pick this year too, Tom Green was allowed to slide by other sides, hope we get lucky too.

Hewett out of contract is interesting in my opinion. Think Longmire is heading in a different direction with his midfield makeup.
Only 24, he missed round one because he was underdone and his premature baby had just been born, looking back over the last four seasons he has played 90 out of the last 95 games for us... what makes you think he isn't part of the plans for the team going forward?

Only 24, he missed round one because he was underdone and his premature baby had just been born, looking back over the last four seasons he has played 90 out of the last 95 games for us... what makes you think he isn't part of the plans for the team going forward?
Just a suspicion on game plan subtlties, drafting of Warner, having three of the same type in JPK, Parker and Hewett. Also the role he has been given too. I dont mind being wrong, and like to make guesses by nature. I suspect the game is moving away from taggers. Im a strategist by employment, so I try to see trends.

Just a suspicion on game plan subtlties, drafting of Warner, having three of the same type in JPK, Parker and Hewett. Also the role he has been given too. I dont mind being wrong, and like to make guesses by nature. I suspect the game is moving away from taggers. Im a strategist by employment, so I try to see trends.
JPK, Parker and Hewett are the same type of player?

I don't see it.

Reckon you got this one wrong..
second in the B n F last year.
strong body, 24 yo (crucial age - theres none between Parker and Florent)
Tagged Higgins last weekend and kept to 11 disposals (pretty much out of the game) picked up 11 himself
Think he'll be the first to resign when contracts become open again.

JPK, Parker and Hewett are the same type of player?

I don't see it.

I could phrase it differently, similar role, ideally Hewett is an extractor, but it seems that Clarke has lost tagging duties now which was flirted with last year. I suspect Longmire thinks the 3 of Parker, JPK and Hewett are similar types and lack pace. Kind of like Crows at the moment. Happy to be wrong, just a hunch is all.

Reckon you got this one wrong..
second in the B n F last year.
strong body, 24 yo (crucial age - theres none between Parker and Florent)
Tagged Higgins last weekend and kept to 11 disposals (pretty much out of the game) picked up 11 himself
Think he'll be the first to resign when contracts become open again.
I agree he's good at the tagging role. Whether thats the way we head long term though I dont know. If jpk hangs up the boots at year end I wonder if Warner and Rowbottom and Florent may be a more dynamic solution than Hewett.

I agree he's good at the tagging role. Whether thats the way we head long term though I dont know. If jpk hangs up the boots at year end I wonder if Warner and Rowbottom and Florent may be a more dynamic solution than Hewett.

I actually agree that Hewett is a similar type of player to Kennedy & Parker in that he is not exactly dynamic as a midfielder. More of an uncompromising hard nut in the mould of his two co-captains.

But why you single him out as the one that needs to go is baffling. He is just now entering his prime right as Kennedy is leaving his, and Horse has already acknowledged that the midfield perhaps needed to move away from it's existing group, which is why he has given Florent a greater responsibility.

Oh but I forgot, you want to get rid of him too!

I suspect Rowbottom who appears to be a pretty dynamic exciting player will be on your s**t list once he is no longer a teenager.

As for your push for Warner, there's absolutely no evidence to suggest he's a dissimilar type to Kennedy, Parker or Hewett. By the time Kennedy has retired, Hewett will be in his prime. By the time Parker has retired, Warner will be entering his (if he makes it.) It's called depth. You can have a promising 18 year old arrive on the list without his recruitment spelling the end of another Swans' chances.

Don't mean to pile on, but highly doubt Hewett will go anywhere.
Quality role player at worst. Isn't one dimentional can play HF as well (I think he was in our top 5 goal scorers in 2017).
Wouldnt get any value from any other club and wouldnt be costing a huge amount so no need to to salary dump. A lock for next 5 years IMO.
Even when we had the best midfield we have had in last 15 years we still had Craig Bird getting games, and Hewett is mulitple CBs.

I think calls for Grey to be delisted are premature.

We have a young inexperienced team. It made and makes sense to trade for experience, especially when at that time we were going to lose Papley (and we may yet still). And he was cheap.

Changing states involves a period of adjustment.
Changing clubs involves a period of adjustment. His career was at Port with his brother, and he comes to us where everything is at once very familiar (it is a footy club after all), but also different. He is used to the Port way and has to learn the Swans way.
He is expected to show leadership because of his experience but comes to a club which has its own hierarchy. He's not a superstar like Buddy.

Game 1 v Adelaide he was 8/22 for disposals.
Game 2 v Essendon he was 21/22 for disposals.
Game 3 v North he was 9/22 for disposals.

Game 2 came after a significant break where he was unable to train with his new teammates.

I don't have access to other stats but my understanding is that his pressure acts were high - which shows his effort is there.

Sure he's had a preseason, but there is nothing like real matches to learn how to play with a new team.

I can only see upside as he meshes with the team.

The second reason is that I think it highly unlikely that he was signed for one year only.

I actually agree that Hewett is a similar type of player to Kennedy & Parker in that he is not exactly dynamic as a midfielder. More of an uncompromising hard nut in the mould of his two co-captains.

But why you single him out as the one that needs to go is baffling. He is just now entering his prime right as Kennedy is leaving his, and Horse has already acknowledged that the midfield perhaps needed to move away from it's existing group, which is why he has given Florent a greater responsibility.

Oh but I forgot, you want to get rid of him too!

I suspect Rowbottom who appears to be a pretty dynamic exciting player will be on your sh*t list once he is no longer a teenager.

As for your push for Warner, there's absolutely no evidence to suggest he's a dissimilar type to Kennedy, Parker or Hewett. By the time Kennedy has retired, Hewett will be in his prime. By the time Parker has retired, Warner will be entering his (if he makes it.) It's called depth. You can have a promising 18 year old arrive on the list without his recruitment spelling the end of another Swans' chances.
Warner is more explosive than than Hewett. Im guessing what Longmire will do rather than what I want to happen. More than happy to see Florent be moved on in a trade for a better skilled player. Rowbottom can win clearances and has pace too so hoping he is soon given more responsibility. Our list will be treading water for another year or two.

Warner is more explosive than than Hewett. Im guessing what Longmire will do rather than what I want to happen. More than happy to see Florent be moved on in a trade for a better skilled player. Rowbottom can win clearances and has pace too so hoping he is soon given more responsibility. Our list will be treading water for another year or two.

Have you seen Warner at training or in practice matches or did you watch any of his U18s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Warner in the Giants / Swans game down at Tramway, and he didn't look particularly quick to me, but does have manic intensity. I also have my doubts that he's going to get to the same size as Hewett (who is actually a very strong bugger one on one these days).

Hewett will continue to be a quiet achiever with us for some years I reckon... if all the planets align he might even qualify for a SF51 profile pic one day.

List sizes are supposed to be cut to 40. we have 46 currently. thats 6 to go. Then you have to make room for draftees thats probably 4. so yeah 10ish have to be cut.
I heard 35. Might mean some genuinely promising get cut.

Joel Amartey (Cat A Rookie - 3rd Year)
James Bell - likely signed to 2021 according to manager, but no official confirmation from club
Kaiden Brand
Ryan Clarke
Zac Foot

Robbie Fox
Sam Grey
George Hewett
Josh Kennedy
Michael Knoll (Cat A Rookie - 2nd Year)
Matthew Ling
Jake Maibaum (Cat A Rookie - 1st Year)
Hayden McLean (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lewis Melican
Harry Reynolds (Cat A Rookie - 2nd Year)
Ben Ronke
Brady Rowles (Cat A Rookie - 1st Year)
Ryley Stoddart
Jackson Thurlow
Sam Wicks (Cat B Rookie - 2nd Year)

Depending on new rules with senior list numbers, I would be a little nervous if I was these guys.

Brand, Ronke, Grey and Hewett have done enough to get cheap contracts as role players, JPK this year or next likely his last. I like Mclean too.

Two thirds of the season played, we have just six games to go assuming that we don't pull off a remarkable run in to the finals, and so I thought it might be time to start considering those in the team who are playing for their careers this season. We have seen a bunch of debuts over the last couple of months, we have seen some players fall out of favour too. Others have struggled with injury. We still don't yet know how much list sizes will shrink next season, so it isn't clear how much space we will need to make on the list, but the competition for a place is heating up.

The way I see it there are a few different tiers of players left without contracts:

Established Players
  • George Hewett
  • Josh Kennedy
Kennedy is getting close to retirement, but if he is up for another year he gets a contract.

I see no reason why Hewett wouldn’t be offered another contract, when fit he is clearly best 22.

Both are currently injured, Kennedy listed as three weeks away, Hewett as five to seven weeks, so chances are we won’t see much more, if anything, from either of them them this season.

Recycled Players from Other Clubs
  • Kaiden Brand
  • Ryan Clarke
  • Sam Grey
  • Jackson Thurlow

A lot of pressure on these guys. None has established a consistent place in the best 22.

Brand looked like he was going to do that at the start of the season, only to suffer an injury that has kept him out of the team since Round 2. He is still listed as three weeks away from playing, so it is unclear if we will see him again this season.

Clarke played a string of games from Round 5 to 9, his best was against the Hawks (20 possessions, 5 tackles, 5 clearences). He tries hard and does a lot of good inside work, but lacks polish. With a number of younger players getting midfield time in the last few weeks in his absence it would not be a surprise if the clubs considers him to be surplus to requirements.

Grey has simply been a disappointment, more or less ineffectual and should be delisted.

Thurlow looked well and truly on the outer until his surprise recall to the team a couple of weeks ago, and has impressed with two very solid performances. He has gone from a certain delist to potentially the most likely of this four to get another contract.

In saying that, you wouldn't be surprised if all are delisted.

The Robbie Fox Category
  • Robbie Fox
Fox gets his own category. Not a recycled player, not a young player. Fox is the kind of guy you like to have in your best 28, you give him a job and he gets it done. He has been really solid in the last few weeks, he totally negated Membrey in the game against St Kilda, shutting down players who are significantly bigger than him. With our key defensive stocks so thin, he has stepped up and plugged the holes, and you would think unless we significantly strengthen the position through trade this off-season then he will be retained for another season.

Young Fringe Players
  • James Bell
  • Zac Foot
  • Matthew Ling
  • Lewis Melican
  • Ben Ronke
  • Ryley Stoddart

A mixed bag here.

It was good to see Melican get back in to the side in the last few weeks, and his game against the Giants was possibly the best he has every played. Has a lot of detractors on here, but for a key defender he is still very young. Considering this is probably our weakest position on the list, if he continues to play like he did this week he should certainly be offered another contract.

Bell has had four games in a row now, and is starting to look more confident and composed. You can’t doubt his work rate or his willingness to get stuck in. He hasn’t been so damaging with ball in hand, though.

Foot got his debut this week. Did some good things, made some mistakes. It will be good to see him get a decent run of games over the next month or so to show us more of what he can offer.

Ling is one of the best stories of the year, finally getting on to the field after years hampered by injury. Has looked composed and skillful, though hasn’t got a lot of the ball. Was dropped for the last game, you would hope to get a few more looks at him before the end of the season.

Bell, Foot and Ling are all still developing players, so it really depends on how much more improvement the club projects from them as to whether they get another contract.

Then we have two players that I think are up against it.

Ronke has certainly had his highs, not too many players in the league right now have kicked seven goals in a game, but in the last couple of seasons he simply hasn’t shown consistency at AFL level. He has managed just the three games this year, didn’t trouble the scorers, and is currently injured and doubtful to get back on to the field again this season. We have a lot of competition for places in our forward line, so it is hard to see him getting another contract.

Stoddart got a couple of games this season, but hasn’t really impressed. He seemed a little behind the pace. You would have him behind McInerney and Ling as an attacking half back flanker or winger at this stage, and so unless he can get some games and impress before the end of the season you would think his time on the list is limited.

Rookies
  • Joel Amartey (Cat A Rookie - 3rd Year)
  • Michael Knoll (Cat A Rookie - 2nd Year)
  • Jake Maibaum (Cat A Rookie - 1st Year)
  • Hayden McLean (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
  • Harry Reynolds (Cat A Rookie - 2nd Year)
  • Brady Rowles (Cat A Rookie - 1st Year)
  • Sam Wicks (Cat B Rookie - 2nd Year)
McLean and Wicks have both managed to play AFL this season. You wouldn’t fault their effort, though they haven’t been particularly influential. Of all the rookies, they seem to be the most likely to make it at this stage, but are not certain promotions to the senior list.

Amartey and Knoll both managed to be injured while all of our senior ruck stocks went down, so weren’t available to take the opportunity that would have been there for them to get games. Both are fit again, but it is doubtful either will be seen at AFL level this year. You would think the end of their time on the list is fast approaching.

Maibaum is another one who was inconveniently injured when we could have used him at the start of the season. He is fit again, but Melican has been preferred to him, so you would have to think he is unlikely to get another season.

Reynolds and Rowles haven’t really been in the discussion for potential promotion to AFL level and with such limited exposure to our reserves players this season it is hard to say much about them. Reynolds won’t get back on the field this season after injuring his shoulder.

Conclusion

Even if we aren't going to feature in finals this year, there is a lot still to play for this season. I suspect there is going to be a pretty big turnover of the list and around half of these players mentioned won’t be on the list in 2021. At this stage the only ones I am pretty certain will be getting a contract for next season are:

Kennedy, Hewett, Fox and Melican.

For the rest, it really depends on how many list spaces we need to cut and how well the younger players perform relative to the older recycled players. Right now I'd be inclined to give another season to:

Bell, Foot, Ling, McLean and Wicks.

This is mainly due to the fact that they have been the players who have got stuck in the most when given the opportunity at AFL level.

I think the biggest question marks are on Brand, Clarke and Thurlow. If the whole list is fit, then I think Brand is the most likely of the three to be pushing for a place on the team. If we don't bring in another key defender through trade then he might get another year. Clarke and Thurlow have shown that they can play roles at AFL level, but as older depth players the question will be asked if they justify selection ahead of younger players with potentially greater development.

Last edited:
Also I am worried for some of the younguns as i think there are some players who can be AFL standard but never get a chance and get cut due list change.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi all, is it 35 on the main list + 0 rookies or 32 + 3 rookies or some other combination?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Nobody knows yet. No announcements that I’ve seen at this stage.

Given some teams are running injuries into the teens it may be difficult for the AFL to cut back the lists to these levels (35 total).

Warner has played how many games? Our list is the most dynamic in the whole competition.
Florent is a keeper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back