Roast AFL Thrashings - Where's Geelong's DVD?

Remove this Banner Ad

That rocks:thumbsu: I completely forgot the Geelong Football Club had a marketing person on our forum board. Might have to make this a 'toast' thread before too long!
Official Cats had nothing to do with it - that was all our BigFooty Twitter account!

Geelong -Adelaide games had a common thread back in those days -who ever was the home side won in a landslide.

1992 Geelong 32 18 Adelaide 12 15

Return game Adelaide 24 25 Geelong 11 12 - i actually went to that game -Scott Hodges -who was the biggest prima donna going around kicked 11 goals . Ive got to say -of all the away grounds -Football park was a bit of a knightmare for about 5 to 7 years

Yeah that's the one where Blight says on the highlights of the season tape (as it was then) "we were really surprised at how they played". Tells you everything about his coaching right there. He was surprised a team played well at home.

1899. My god that would be something different to watch!! Will have to ask partridge to recollect what football was like for us back then

1989? Awesome. The middle of the year was almost surreal. For a few weeks there - I'd say from probably the St.Kilda game until we lost to Melbourne at Waverley - it wasn't even questioned that we would win. It was by how much, and what we'd see. The feeling of watching Ablett prior to his suspension was unforgettable. It was like the greatest player of all time reinforcing it week after week, and the worst opposition fans would reluctantly turn to you after the game and admit it (I had this happen to me after the St.Kilda, Richmond, and Collingwood games. All in successive weeks too). Plus I had my Dad who had seen all the great Geelong players of the '50s and '60s just shaking his head at him too. That was cool.

The big difference in tactics was the philosophy. It was get the ball to our matchwinners. Full stop. So fans now will compare Ablett Senior to Junior and say "well Junior does more defensive things" or something like that. Of course he does - all players do now. Back then the star players didn't. They were there to win games, not to save them. So you didn't worry what Couch or Bairstow's opponent was doing, or if Ablett's man was running off him, you wanted them to get the ball and use their ability. So it wasn't like there were no tactics (there absolutely were), but the tactics were just different.

We're always prone to exaggerating how good things in our past were, from nostalgia perhaps, or that we wish we were 17 again, but I'll say one thing. I was lucky enough to be at all 4 finals, and I've never seen football from one man as good as Ablett's was in September 1989.

1989? Awesome. The middle of the year was almost surreal. For a few weeks there - I'd say from probably the St.Kilda game until we lost to Melbourne at Waverley - it wasn't even questioned that we would win. It was by how much, and what we'd see. The feeling of watching Ablett prior to his suspension was unforgettable. It was like the greatest player of all time reinforcing it week after week, and the worst opposition fans would reluctantly turn to you after the game and admit it (I had this happen to me after the St.Kilda, Richmond, and Collingwood games. All in successive weeks too). Plus I had my Dad who had seen all the great Geelong players of the '50s and '60s just shaking his head at him too. That was cool.

The big difference in tactics was the philosophy. It was get the ball to our matchwinners. Full stop. So fans now will compare Ablett Senior to Junior and say "well Junior does more defensive things" or something like that. Of course he does - all players do now. Back then the star players didn't. They were there to win games, not to save them. So you didn't worry what Couch or Bairstow's opponent was doing, or if Ablett's man was running off him, you wanted them to get the ball and use their ability. So it wasn't like there were no tactics (there absolutely were), but the tactics were just different.

We're always prone to exaggerating how good things in our past were, from nostalgia perhaps, or that we wish we were 17 again, but I'll say one thing. I was lucky enough to be at all 4 finals, and I've never seen football from one man as good as Ablett's was in September 1989.

Always nice to read a post like this. I'm guessing the biggest change in football was when the competition took that leap from amateur (part time players/coaches) too a full time professional industry, or would you say it was just a slow natural evolutionary progression year after year? Or does any particular point strike you as a huge point where the competition and it's professionalism across all aspects really took off? Because you look back at 1989, and look at the game played today on and off field, there is just barely anything the same

Last edited:
Always nice to read a post like this. I'm guessing the biggest change in football was when the competition took that leap from amateur (part time players/coaches) too a full time professional industry, or would you say it was just a slow natural evolutionary progression year after year? Or does any particular point strike you as a huge point where the competition and it's professionalism across all aspects really took off? Because you look back at 1989, and look at the game played today on and off field, there is just barely anything the same

Definitely a slow progression. There wasn't one moment where there was a leap. As in most things it was gradual. Even speaking about the supposed lack of defensive pressure, it did occur. Right near three quarter time in the Semi Final against Melbourne, Brownless comes in late and tackles a Melbourne player (can't remember who), we get the ball back and get a crucial goal. It wouldn't look out of place now. It didn't happen as commonly, and players weren't as fanatically drilled to do it, but it still did happen.

Definitely a slow progression. There wasn't one moment where there was a leap. As in most things it was gradual. Even speaking about the supposed lack of defensive pressure, it did occur. Right near three quarter time in the Semi Final against Melbourne, Brownless comes in late and tackles a Melbourne player (can't remember who), we get the ball back and get a crucial goal. It wouldn't look out of place now. It didn't happen as commonly, and players weren't as fanatically drilled to do it, but it still did happen.

It's interesting you say it was more about a philosophy rather than a thorough structured mechanical system like today, the press zoning spreads frontal pressure etc etc. outside of watching Geelong play, analysing football tactics is my next big passion, I enjoy going over games stopping and pausing at different points and camera angles to pick up certain things sides do, I find the depth sides go into incredible. Hearing you say just how simple it worked back then, makes me wonder what it will look like in another 5-10 years? Will 2014 seem simplistic compared to the way sides play ten years from now?

I'm sure one thing about that era you miss is seeing the raw spectacle of skills that players got to put on show. There weren't the same defensive team plans in place that restrict individuals somewhat today. Ablett senior would run rampage on his days just one out vs his defender. Something we probably will never see again unfortunately given the professional team defensive standards today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure one thing about that era you miss is seeing the raw spectacle of skills that players got to put on show. There weren't the same defensive team plans in place that restrict individuals somewhat today. Ablett senior would run rampage on his days just one out vs his defender. Something we probably will never see again unfortunately given the professional team defensive standards today

He would. The big difference was the opposition coach would try and find the right opponent, but rarely if ever did it occur to them to have a second defender go over to help out. That took a bit longer to evolve.

Imagine Hawkins in the last quarter of the Grand Final against Reid, he would have had Reid on him for a half or so. You did see absolute carnage at times.

The big difference in tactics was the philosophy. It was get the ball to our matchwinners. Full stop... Back then the star players didn't. They were there to win games, not to save them. So you didn't worry what Couch or Bairstow's opponent was doing, or if Ablett's man was running off him, you wanted them to get the ball and use their ability.

Our gameplay under Blighty was fantastic... until we came up against that bloody Mick Malthouse in the early 1990's. His positional strangulation tactics fed on our style of play. Ate it up. Funny, Malthouse once again developed a system based on Sydney's press tactics specifically to counter us as Collingwood coach. Worked like a charm in 2010's shocking (for us) prelim but was exploited beautifully by Chris Scott in the 2011 Grand Final.

I still have a lot of love - and still a little awe - of the Goalkicking Machine that Blighty built from 1989 - 1994. We went so f*cking close to greatness it's not funny. But as a tactician, Blighty didn't play with a full deck, I feel.

Our gameplay under Blighty was fantastic... until we came up against that bloody Mick Malthouse in the early 1990's. His positional strangulation tactics fed on our style of play. Ate it up. Funny, Malthouse once again developed a system based on Sydney's press tactics specifically to counter us as Collingwood coach. Worked like a charm in 2010's shocking (for us) prelim but was exploited beautifully by Chris Scott in the 2011 Grand Final.

I still have a lot of love - and still a little awe - of the Goalkicking Machine that Blighty built from 1989 - 1994. We went so f*cking close to greatness it's not funny. But as a tactician, Blighty didn't play with a full deck, I feel.

Yeah. Some things that would be automatically done today, and we questioned then, he wouldn't do.

Round 6, 1989 v Hawthorn. Ablett was absolutely shredding Hawthorn on the wing, but we were actually playing man-on-man from the wing to the backline. So Ablett was theoretically tagging Dipper. Jeans moved Dipper to the forward pocket, Ablett went with him. Took him right out of the game.

Grand Final v Hawthorn. Brereton gets cleaned up by Yeates. Goes to the forward pocket. Everyone thought his opponent - Michael Schulze - would go with him. Not Blightly. Leaves the much smaller Steve Hocking on him. Brereton kicks 2 goals. How much did we lose by again?

SJ - I hate to be a prick, but could you delete those two twitter posts? They used to show up before we upgraded but now they won't and they're wreaking havoc on my ability to like posts and post images in this thread. Because the page is trying to load those image links of twitter it's become a permanent loading loop that prevents other tasks being carried out. I can post but that's about it on this thread. Cheers!

Doesn't exist.

Now that I can post images again...
thumbs-down-2.jpg

Do you have any older Geelong videos from the 80's or early 90's?
Have you ever come across games on tape or DVD and sat down to re-live some of those great memories? I feel there is a large majority of folks who likely have not and tend to rely on highlights or brief game footage.

Wonder how or if there was a way of going about loading full length matches on the internet so all fans (old and new) could watch some of those famous names running around to help extinguish the myth from fact.
I have more videos from the 90's than what I do from the 80's and it appears from 1992 onwards, Snr was exactly what many describe him as...one of the top 5 greatest players of all time. You would expect near perfection to hold such lofty tag but what stands out to me is the minimal amount of times he got beaten. Defenders beat him during a game so by no means am I saying he was unstoppable but I watched all of Wayne Carey's career and he and Ablett are the only two who would always make something out nothing. The most overlooked attribute he brought to the team was his ability to draw not just 1 but 2 defenders to a contest because he was just so good at hitting a pack and then being the first one up on his feet again to either kick a goal, behind or have the footy locked inside our forward 50 as his opponent was forced to punch it out of bounce.
Doesn't seem to get enough credit for his team play either, some even say he never knew how to handball which isn't quite correct as he averaged 3 handballs per game until 1993 and the amount of goal assists, or his involvement in the lead up to our goals appears to be another underrated facet of his overall game. I say underrated because if you read anything posted by most opposition fans, they only speak of Snr as the most freakish footballer who kicked stupendous goals and took high scraping marks and that was about it.

Do you have any older Geelong videos from the 80's or early 90's?
Have you ever come across games on tape or DVD and sat down to re-live some of those great memories? I feel there is a large majority of folks who likely have not and tend to rely on highlights or brief game footage.

Wonder how or if there was a way of going about loading full length matches on the internet so all fans (old and new) could watch some of those famous names running around to help extinguish the myth from fact.
I have more videos from the 90's than what I do from the 80's and it appears from 1992 onwards, Snr was exactly what many describe him as...one of the top 5 greatest players of all time. You would expect near perfection to hold such lofty tag but what stands out to me is the minimal amount of times he got beaten. Defenders beat him during a game so by no means am I saying he was unstoppable but I watched all of Wayne Carey's career and he and Ablett are the only two who would always make something out nothing. The most overlooked attribute he brought to the team was his ability to draw not just 1 but 2 defenders to a contest because he was just so good at hitting a pack and then being the first one up on his feet again to either kick a goal, behind or have the footy locked inside our forward 50 as his opponent was forced to punch it out of bounce.
Doesn't seem to get enough credit for his team play either, some even say he never knew how to handball which isn't quite correct as he averaged 3 handballs per game until 1993 and the amount of goal assists, or his involvement in the lead up to our goals appears to be another underrated facet of his overall game. I say underrated because if you read anything posted by most opposition fans, they only speak of Snr as the most freakish footballer who kicked stupendous goals and took high scraping marks and that was about it.
Yes, a certain website we have talked about before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back