News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

North have 25 first and 2nd rounders on their list.

They are potentially going to add 4-5 more.

An incredible amount considering most clubs have 44-46 players.

This is a VAFA club masquerading as an AFL club.

This is your 2nd terrible season. We got crappy assistance at the end of our 3rd terrible season.

You may get a couple of late picks that you must trade at the end of next year if you have another shocking year.

You should be hoping we get something good this year which will open the door for the Eagles at the end of 2025 if you’re still woeful.

North had nga access to Thomas in 2018. Still cost pick 8.

Same year Pies got Quanor cheap.

Huh?
We are all talking about how the integrity of access to talent is compromised and how it’s unfair that teams can get elite talents like Daicos by using late second round and third round picks and your solution is……

Let them list him for free?
Great contribution.
Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying because Nick Daicos was never going anywhere but Collingwood if he was good enough to play AFL, from the moment he was conceived.

This whole idea that father sons compromise the draft is a charade. We know from the moment they start showing any talent that they’re aligned to a specific club.
They shouldn’t even be in the draft, and if they are they should only be added to list like Gary Jnr and Tom Hawkins were, late, with token picks.

Then we’d be able to move passed this charade that any team had “missed out on Nick Daicos”.

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying because Nick Daicos was never going anywhere but Collingwood if he was good enough to play AFL, from the moment he was conceived.

This whole idea that father sons compromise the draft is a charade. We know from the moment they start showing any talent that they’re aligned to a specific club.
They shouldn’t even be in the draft, and if they are they should only be added to list like Gary Jnr and Tom Hawkins were, late, with token picks.

Then we’d be able to move passed this charade that any team had “missed out on Nick Daicos”.
So get a free father son as well as your original draft pick?

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

You should follow epl soccer it’s more your thing I reckon.
We have this thing called equalisation here in the AFL…. 😳

And by shafted, you mean treated the same as any non-academy based football club? (The academies are another irk of mine but that's another discussion).

I seriously can't fathom how there could have been any expectation for a significant win-loss improvement from last year and for this expectation to be used to justify a top 10 talent in Sanders being walked through the door and the NGA rules being made obsolete. Wardlaw and Sheezel have both demonstrated an ability to play AFL at a high level, along with a number of other recent draftees on your list.

There needs to be a degree of accountability when it comes to list management decisions - have some pride and have the North Melbourne Football Club build the playing list for the North Melbourne Football Club (refer to Adelaide's list build over recent years), don't just rattle the tin outside AFL house and say it's still not enough. The package you received last year to assist with trading seemed equitable and acted as a vehicle to assist more established AFL talent through the door, however to just remove a top 10 talent from the draft pool because there hasn't been an instant turnaround is ludicrous.

The following philosophy needs to be adopted when looking at any tampering with the first round of the draft, including a reassessment of the Northern Academies - The assistance package has been designed to make North Melbourne more competitive sooner whilst also not penalising other clubs' draft positions, with the League keen to protect the integrity of this year's draft order.
Hopefully north win this week.
And, they really did beat Sydney earlier, it was the Interchange steward that lost the game.
I thought they look at things like quarters won, North has done ok on that measure I would guess.
Maybe priority picks should be more common, only beginning of 3rd round though .
I.e, if you win 5 or less in consecutive seasons,you get Pick 37, so this year west coast have 1,19,37,39. North 2,20,38, 40

Last edited:
Ahhhh yes. Gary Jack the famed AFL player making his son eligible for a Father Son selection in the AFL draft.....
Just arrived on Swans list one day. No draft, nothing.

Briefly saw an article from herald sun (blocked) on my fb about clubs complaining to the AFL about North trying to add Sanders as NGA.

When I went back on my feed to find it, it mysteriously vanished.

Anyone see this article and can share?

Briefly saw an article from herald sun (blocked) on my fb about clubs complaining to the AFL about North trying to add Sanders as NGA.

When I went back on my feed to find it, it mysteriously vanished.

Anyone see this article and can share?
Yeah I saw it. I still think there is a lot of water to go under the bridge. If they do get sander I doubt they get first round compo for McKay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one gives a s**t about the mechanism at which they arrive on the list. Its the fact they have priority access at all.

The father sons should go into the pool and get drafted by anyone. If they want to return to their fathers club, they can pay market value in a trade.

Northern academies will stay for us long as first round draft picks nominate homesickness as to why they won’t move interstate.

AFL will contrive a result that allows North to be assisted after years of own goals.

Northern academies will stay for us long as first round draft picks nominate homesickness as to why they won’t move interstate.

AFL will contrive a result that allows North to be assisted after years of own goals.
When was the last time that happened to you?

All the players from other clubs you mentioned were payed Band 1 compensation pick type money.

Daniher got $850k per year.
Williams $800k per year.
Lynch was $1m, or close enough to, per year.

Now if Essendon offer McKay $800k a year, shouldn't hear a peep out of anybody, because most trade and draft fans understand that is the ball park figure for Band 1 compensation. But if the AFL magic up band 1 compo for a $650k a year contract, then people are going to call b.s.

As for North potentially receiving permission to prelist Sanders. The AFL should flat out refuse such a request, as North's current predicament is self inflicted, and should not be compared to the situation Gold Coast found itself in back in 2018.
Danihers deal was dodgy AF,soon as he signed they tore up the deal and changed it because what he was getting offered wouldnt have give Essendon adequate compo and they wouldve matched the deal.so corrupt!

Still amazes me that clubs get rewarded for s**t decsions,its not the other 17 clubs fault that your recruiters cant spot talent and continually pick players that are either no good or hire development coaches that are any good at their jobs. paying Polec 750k a year is just one example. Do what richmond and melbourne have done draft elite kids with top picks and then sign free agents instead of relying on handouts

If North don’t match McKay as an RFA they should get nothing.

Free agency compensation for RFA when clubs have an option to match is trash and should be removed altogether.

North will have an option to be more competitive in 2024 by matching, if they make a decision to be less competitive by not matching they shouldn’t get a leg up as it will just be another poor decision and own goal.

If AFL was honest in encouraging North to improve and be competitive in 2024 they would come out and tell them they will only get a 2nd rounder for McKay if he goes. This will encourage North to match.

Are these not the same finals clubs that were given Daicos, Ashcroft, JUH, Darcy, Heeney? We need to accept that the draft has never been uncompromised, and it never will be.
Pick 1 2020 - JUH
Pick 4 2021 - Daicos
Pick 2 2022 - Aschcroft
2023 - Walter, Read etc.

Finals clubs are being given top 5 picks (through the father son rule that we all love) every year, but it is so aberrant to give a club who has won 11 games in the past 4 years an extra pick? Don’t act like the draft is this perfectly fair system because it is not and it never will be. One or two draft selections doesn‘t undermine the integrity of the draft/trade system because it‘s always been a shambles.
Am i wrong?

Last edited:
Still amazes me that clubs get rewarded for s**t decsions,its not the other 17 clubs fault that your recruiters cant spot talent and continually pick players that are either no good or hire development coaches that are any good at their jobs. paying Polec 750k a year is just one example. Do what richmond and melbourne have done draft elite kids with top picks and then sign free agents instead of relying on handouts
Melbourne have had plenty of handouts… Tigers were given a priority pick back in 2004.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back