Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
If port miss out on Dawson, do we offer them Shiel? Pay say 50-100k of his contract for a year or two.

Ports first pick is 16 and they have a Father son who should be bid on from 25-50. Say Trade Shiel and 53 for 16?

Then take both Kelly and Dunstan as free hit’s without affecting our future picks and giving us two first Rounders.

Take Rachele at 11 and either Johnson, Wanganeen or Goater at 16. Two birds with one stone.

50-100K only!? He's reported to be on $850-900K a year with 3 years to run. If you want a first round pick for Shiel, you'd probably have to take the hit for almost half his contract. Port aren't giving up a first round pick for Shiel at $700-$750K a year for 3 years.

50-100K only!? He's reported to be on $850-900K a year with 3 years to run. If you want a first round pick for Shiel, you'd probably have to take the hit for almost half his contract. Port aren't giving up a first round pick for Shiel at $700-$750K a year for 3 years.
And then you have to replace Shiel with a half a million dollar hole in the budget, while paying him to play in someone else’s premiership. 🤔

I wouldn’t necessarily call it stupid. He’s turning 29 and his last two seasons have been injury plagued. Shiel is contracted till 2024 on big money(850k).

If Port are keen to do a deal for him we should 100% take it. If that means paying 50-100k and in return we get a first round pick you do it. Especially considering the lack of draft capital at our disposal.

With a Midfield group of Merrett, Parish, McGrath, Caldwell, Stringer, Langford, Cox, Durham, Perkins and part timers Ham, Guelfi, Clarke, Snelling etc I think we will be fine.

We are stuck with him aren’t we.

I wouldn’t necessarily call it stupid. He’s turning 29 and his last two seasons have been injury plagued. Shiel is contracted till 2024 on big money(850k).

If Port are keen to do a deal for him we should 100% take it. If that means paying 50-100k and in return we get a first round pick you do it. Especially considering the lack of draft capital at our disposal.

With a Midfield group of Merrett, Parish, McGrath, Caldwell, Stringer, Langford, Cox, Durham, Perkins and part timers Ham, Guelfi, Clarke, Snelling etc I think we will be fine.

Why would Port be 'keen', if in your own words you're basically saying he's not a required player in a middling side, coming off two injury plagued seasons, and is contracted until 2024 on big money? That's not selling the idea to Port, it's trying to get rid of a perceived problem (which exists almost soley in supporters minds that Shiel has become expendable).

There's 3 full time midfielders in that list.

Last edited:
Why would Port be 'keen', if in your own words you're basically saying he's not a required player in a middling side, coming off two injury plagued seasons, and is contracted until 2024 on big money? That's not selling the idea to Port, it's trying to get rid of a perceived problem (which exists almost soley in supporters minds).
Something something rumour medical port something.

For anyone hearing that one, it’s false. The player in question is Finlayson.

I wouldn’t be against Dunstan. Worse case scenario he’d be depth in the twos. Best case he brings some leadership and hardness to our midfield group. His kicking efficiency certainly doesn’t paint a pretty picture but he could play a Lyons at Brisbane type role.

Last edited:
Why would Port be 'keen', if in your own words you're basically saying he's not a required player in a middling side, coming off two injury plagued seasons, and is contracted until 2024 on big money? That's not selling the idea to Port, it's trying to get rid of a perceived problem (which exists almost soley in supporters minds that Shiel has become expendable).

There's 3 full time midfielders in that list.

And Sadly for Dylan, he is still behind those “3 full time midfielders”. His lack of versatility makes him absolutely expendable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wouldn't be wise to trade Shiel especially when we don't have depth in midfield and whether you like it nor not, he's one of the leaders at the club especially after loosing Hooker and Zaka. Having Shiel is a nice problem to have, lets not forget he's still elite at clearances, still has a burst of speed, and he doesn't have the responsibility of being the main man, so he can do his thing without pressure.

The thing about trading out a future first next year more than any other is that we have no idea how good these kids are. For most they didn't have an under 16's year and would have played no more than a dozen games in their bottom age year.

The Davey twins might be within the top 5 but they could be second round picks for all we know. If we have a not as good year next year ladder wise, which wouldn't be unexpected, we could walk away with Oliver Hollands (just a random name from a draft watcher's top 10) and both twins in the first round next year.
We can always trade back in if that’s the case. Melbourne and other teams have done it pretty effectively.

Shiel wasn't injured last year. Only this year.

Lose Shiel and gain a first round pick, grab Dunstan for nothing.

I've heard worse ideas...

The idea the poster is putting forward is that Shiel isn't best 22, has been injured the last 2 years, and costs too much with too many years left on his contract, so why would Port give up a first round pick for him? He hasn't made Shiel sound enticing at all as a pick up for another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea the poster is putting forward is that Shiel isn't best 22, has been injured the last 2 years, and costs too much with too many years left on his contract, so why would Port give up a first round pick for him? He hasn't made Shiel sound enticing at all as a pick up for another club.
I wasn't referring to another poster, just me thinking aloud.

Shiel is still a great player and I am a fan of him. Does he make our best 22 better? Absolutely. He'd be our 3rd best midfielder currently behind Merrett and Parish.

But the problem with Shiel is he'll be 29 when the 2022 season starts. I anticipate our legitimate window being from 2023 onwards, so he'll start the window at 30. How impactful can he be during this run? That is the great unknown. Shiel relies heavily on his speed and blokes - regardless if they are as professional as him - don't often keep that trait for long past that age.

Another first round pick to add to our current pick, and perhaps dealings regarding our 2022 1st could see the club with something like 3 additional picks between 10-20. That, combined with our 2021 haul and 2023 F/S' will set the club up for a long time.

I completely get both sides to the argument though. I think it's still an interesting discussion. Would have to say I'm leaning towards a trade though, personally.

A club like Port would make sense because of his SA link with his Mrs, and it's likely Port believe they are still very much in the window and will look to bolster their midfield during this trade period. They lack serious run through the middle and Shiel can provide just that.

Looking forward to seeing what a Draper, Parish, Shiel, Caldwell, McGrath, Stringer and Merrett midfield looks like next year. Its still an unknown due to the Draper, Shiel, Caldwell and McGrath injuries this year. We should be giving them a pre season and a chance at seeing what they can produce before any major decisions. Dunstan as a free hit on low coin would be a smart addition though. Id go 2 x 250k if he's interested and see what he can do. Reckon he'd be another Keays/Lyons story.

The Dunstan situation is an interesting one. Media are saying he’s been delisted but the saints board are saying he hasn’t been, just that St Kilda aren’t making any decisions on his contract (although papers are clearly stamped) until after the trade period. They’re obviously hoping to get something for him as a RFA rather than throwing him away.
Genuine question for someone who’s watched a bit of him, would a Dunstan compliment our midfield in anyway? Skill execution aside, would he bring trucks ‘blue collar’ attitude or a defensive edge we don’t currently have? Would he have made any difference as another hardened body on the inside in our wet weather prelim against the dogs?
Would rather get more games into Caldwell if he’s just an older version of him, no way would I want to trade anything for him.

We can always trade back in if that’s the case. Melbourne and other teams have done it pretty effectively.
I'd prefer just keeping it. I think most clubs would most likely keep their future first this year more than any other, apart from perhaps Brisbane, given how unknown next years draft crop will be.

If port miss out on Dawson, do we offer them Shiel? Pay say 50-100k of his contract for a year or two.

Ports first pick is 16 and they have a Father son who should be bid on from 25-50. Say Trade Shiel and 53 for 16?

Then take both Kelly and Dunstan as free hit’s without affecting our future picks and giving us two first Rounders.

Take Rachele at 11 and either Johnson, Wanganeen or Goater at 16. Two birds with one stone.

I love you.

I wasn't referring to another poster, just me thinking aloud.

Shiel is still a great player and I am a fan of him. Does he make our best 22 better? Absolutely. He'd be our 3rd best midfielder currently behind Merrett and Parish.

But the problem with Shiel is he'll be 29 when the 2022 season starts. I anticipate our legitimate window being from 2023 onwards, so he'll start the window at 30. How impactful can he be during this run? That is the great unknown. Shiel relies heavily on his speed and blokes - regardless if they are as professional as him - don't often keep that trait for long past that age.

Another first round pick to add to our current pick, and perhaps dealings regarding our 2022 1st could see the club with something like 3 additional picks between 10-20. That, combined with our 2021 haul and 2023 F/S' will set the club up for a long time.

I completely get both sides to the argument though. I think it's still an interesting discussion. Would have to say I'm leaning towards a trade though, personally.

A club like Port would make sense because of his SA link with his Mrs, and it's likely Port believe they are still very much in the window and will look to bolster their midfield during this trade period. They lack serious run through the middle and Shiel can provide just that.
You’re broadly making sense but that first round pick is probably low teens and then you have to nail it to come out on top. Risky business.

If Dunstan is happy to come with the understanding he is fringe best 22 and no guarantee to play regular senior football, then picking him up as DFA is a no brainer.

All it takes is a couple of injuries in the midfield like we had this year and a player of his quality as depth would be mightily helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back