Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:

Ed Pascoe from AFL draft central predicts that both Davey boys will be in contention for the first/second round in 2022.
Has Jayden ahead of Alwyn Junior.
Meaning Essendon will need to potentially match 2 first round picks in 2022's draft to secure both boys.
So trading 11 for pick 18 and a 2022 2nd from the Lions makes sense.
Potentally 3 first rounders in 2022 is ******* exciting

Solid defensively, works hard. Kicking is a little inconsistent.

Agree is a good workhorse but his disposal has been patchy. Spread is not his strong suite either.

Ed Pascoe from AFL draft central predicts that both Davey boys will be in contention for the first/second round in 2022.
Has Jayden ahead of Alwyn Junior.
Meaning Essendon will need to potentially match 2 first round picks in 2022's draft to secure both boys.
So trading 11 for pick 18 and a 2022 2nd from the Lions makes sense.
Potentally 3 first rounders in 2022 is ******* exciting
I have Alwyn ahead of Jayden actually, it’s too early to say they will be going that high. I’m bullish on them but there is a chance they don’t go that early.

Dunstan could be close to the worst ball user in the comp

But what the hey - if he’s got no other decent options, knows he won’t be guaranteed a game and still wants to come…he can wander on over.

The thing about trading out a future first next year more than any other is that we have no idea how good these kids are. For most they didn't have an under 16's year and would have played no more than a dozen games in their bottom age year.

The Davey twins might be within the top 5 but they could be second round picks for all we know. If we have a not as good year next year ladder wise, which wouldn't be unexpected, we could walk away with Oliver Hollands (just a random name from a draft watcher's top 10) and both twins in the first round next year.

The other big thing is, we can all agree we had a fairly easy year (against teams) with a tougher drawer we are 50:50 on improving into the top 6 just as much as we are likely to flop next year and fall into the bottom 4 which puts a huge ?? On where our pick(s) land.

On top of this, we have very little idea on how our kids (Davey twins obviously) are tracking. We could sell our soul in hope they develop into genuinely top end talent but reality is they could be mid draft.

I’d be holding onto our ‘22 first unless we can get a (predicted) similar pick or better in this years draft. Even then, my hesitation would be to hold. We will
Have the ability to trade it out before the draft if we have a top talent F/S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunstan could be close to the worst ball user in the comp

But what the hey - if he’s got no other decent options, knows he won’t be guaranteed a game and still wants to come…he can wander on over.

It’s a residual effect for me.

We’ll
Have Dunstable shovelling the ball to Darcy Parish who gives to Zac rather than Darcy shovelling the ball to Zac who gives too..

If you’re following me here, it’d be good, even for list depth.
Give him two years and see how he goes and be kpp our own kids in the same position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on Dunstan? Had a good year Brownlow wise

I actually said we should go for him or Ross if Hewett isn't an option. Dunstan (who is only turning 27 next year) was decent after the bye and gives us something we don't have. Another defensive running mid that can win his own ball. Picking him up as a DFA for some much needed depth is a no-brainer.

Parish at 12 is the only player we have ranked in the top 70 for average stoppage clearances. Dunstan is 13th. Parish is also the only player we have in the top 50 for average contested possessions (ranked 12). Dunstan is ranked 28th. Dunstan is also ranked 31st for average tackles. Merrett (Ranked 30) is our only mid ranked in the top 50 (not including Caldwell due to small sample size).

We've seen the benefit of having a big body (Stringer) around centre clearances. It makes everything so much easier. We've been unable to replicate that dominance around stoppages because Stringer is only a centre bounce mid. Dunstan and Parish together gives us more options.

If we bring in Dunstan then yeah i'd say thats clarkes papers stamped.

Not against it. Again, like the picks that don't break the bank but still add value to the team. Doesn't compromise list build.

I’m not sure they’d be considered to fill the same role, Clarke hasn’t been anywhere near the midfield under Rutten, whereas Dunstan would come in as an on-baller.

Not that I think it means Clarke is safe, just that he doesn’t appear to be considered a midfielder at AFL level, plays more as defensive half forward.

If port miss out on Dawson, do we offer them Shiel? Pay say 50-100k of his contract for a year or two.

Ports first pick is 16 and they have a Father son who should be bid on from 25-50. Say Trade Shiel and 53 for 16?

Then take both Kelly and Dunstan as free hit’s without affecting our future picks and giving us two first Rounders.

Take Rachele at 11 and either Johnson, Wanganeen or Goater at 16. Two birds with one stone.

If port miss out on Dawson, do we offer them Shiel? Pay say 50-100k of his contract for a year or two.

Ports first pick is 16 and they have a Father son who should be bid on from 25-50. Say Trade Shiel and 53 for 16?

Then take both Kelly and Dunstan as free hit’s without affecting our future picks and giving us two first Rounders.

Take Rachele at 11 and either Johnson, Wanganeen or Goater at 16. Two birds with one stone.
no

Careful, suggesting to trade Shiel will make you public enemy number one on this page

Careful, suggesting to trade Shiel will make you public enemy number one on this page
Or, people will call it stupid. Because it is.

Can we drop the “trade Shiel”, seriously. He is not going anywhere, nor should he…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back