Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Hind’s played a minute of wing this year. Heppell’s been on the wing for the better part of a month now.

Were not relying on him to be winger

right now were relying on Hind and Cox

His best chance to get into the team as we speak right now for the next 5 years of his footballing career with us, is on the outside/wing

Wingers are role players. He has the size and running capacity to play there

We already know he can be depth as an onballer, he needs to show he can play wing aswell to give himself the best chance over the next 5 years

Where have they moved?

Yoda said in one instance he aint taking a mid until the rookie draft, suggesting we dont need any of substance, then the very next post has us drafting a midfielder with our 1st rounder

On one hand hes saying Setterfield doesnt need to diversify wing ability and in the next post has him delisted suggesting he aint anymore than long shot depth for the midfield
Every conversation you have the posts end up moving. Read your own history.

And for the 500th time. He has been tried as a wing. He is no good at it. He is an inside ball hunter. Why would we want him on a wing if he can not play there ? Move on and find the next guy. There is also the fact he gets injured a lot. He simply is not an outside player and his skills are not good enough to play the role either. If he can not get in the midfield then he may go.

I feel we carry one of Shiel or Setterfield.

And yes, a mid/fwd even in the first round. I would be taking a pure midfielder, even if in the rookie draft
Shiel will go.

Don't really want to go after any 'big' names, just chase the blue collar guys with big tanks.

Josh Fahey runs a 6 minute 2km, is quick and has a long left boot. Getting him would free up Martin to play more wing without sacrificing the drive he provides out of defence.

Ned Long is another 6 minute 2km runner who is a genuine two-way mid. Think he's stripped some weight because he is moving much better compared to last year, is even getting forward to hit the scoreboard like he showed in his draft year. Can't rely on Setterfield to be our big body through the middle, I don't think there's a part of his body he hasn't injured at this point.

The players we have out doesn’t really have anything to do with it because we’d still need those players regardless of who is out. And I think Roberts and Tsatas will both be far better than just grunt players, so they’re almost not relevant to this.

You’d almost look at Jake Kelly as the archetype of player we should be trying to find to bulk out the list, hard body, runs like the clappers both ways, defensive minded, solid if unspectacular with the ball, can take a mark, can play multiple positions and on a variety of different types.
Zach Package - you’re living dangerously saying we need more Jake Kellys.

I’m not 100% against it BTW, get the thought. Just hoping you double down saying we also need more Hepples and more Lavs.

Zach Package - you’re living dangerously saying we need more Jake Kellys.

I’m not 100% against it BTW, get the thought. Just hoping you double down saying we also need more Hepples and more Lavs.

I’d love another kid who reads the play like Heppell but with the sensibility, aggro and application of Jake Kelly.

If Bevo is the constant, he's brought them to two GFs and one flag, which is more than most coaches at AFL level can claim. The talent on that list underperforming is bringing him undone, but is that entirely on him? I wouldn't have thought so.

The very basic problem the Dogs have is the inability to defend the ground which is compounded by the lack of quality tall defenders they've had. Other than a 34 year old Jones they've never really had a player who can dominate the CHB space.

The Dogs issue has been a consistent them for each year under Bevo. It is clearly his philosophical choice because rain, hail or shine the Dogs will turn up each week trying to dominate around the ball with an extra number / extra numbers. It means there is very little margin for error in their game, it is all based on effort and intensity. If they fall below 90%, which I'm going to assume is the baseline level of intensity for an AFL match, they cannot win because they're not a system side, they have no fallback defensive system to absorb opposition pressure, and they can't play different tempos.

The reason they can't dop at all is because they have to be a lot better than an opponent around the ball to overcome secondary clearance pressure / turning the disposal from a clearance over. Their ability to play this style of football is what makes them so dangerous in September which, with the pre-finals bye, is now tailored for a side like the Dogs for a massive effort over 1 month. Problem there is that 4 games still looks like it is 1 too many given the belting Melbourne dished out in the 2021 GF. Then you look at the reality that he has never had the Dogs qualify in the top 4 - that is directly linked to their inability to play at tempo and absorb an opponent's attacks when they are, inevitably, down once every 5 to 6 weeks. That automatically adds losses to the baseline of losing matches to really good sides.

There have been many different assistants over the run. He has fallen out with a football director and, from memory, a CEO. His win-loss record is appalling given the talent he has had at his disposal. He is the only real constant during the whole time this scenario has played out.

The real measure of Bevo's worth is not that he has made 2 GF, it's how that would compare to a coach like Chris Scott who is Bevo's anthesis. How many top 4 finishes, GFs appearances and flags would the Dogs have if they had a system based coach?

Last edited:
Yes and he was ordinary. Same as he was at Carlton. As for the players improving of course they can but it usually does not happen to blokes who have been in the system for 7 years plus and have really only shown form in their preferred spot.
Like I said if we are relying on him to play wing then our season is done. Right now is not in the conversation as he is still injured and maybe still 2 weeks away. By time we get to the back end of the season who knows what we will have.
Wouldn’t be Essendon if we weren’t playing at least one non winger on a wing…
Tsatis
Kelly
Hepp
Hind
Cox (although I think it’s a good spot for him)

Why not add Setters… ;)

The very basic problem the Dogs have is the inability to defend the ground which is compounded by the lack of quality tall defenders they've had. Other than a 34 year old Jones they've never really had a player who can dominate the CHB space.

The Dogs issue has been a consistent them for each year under Bevo. It is clearly his philosophical choice because rain, hail or shine the Dogs will turn up each week trying to dominate around the ball with an extra number / extra numbers. It means there is very little margin for error in their game, it is all based on effort and intensity. If they fall below 90%, which I'm going to assume is the baseline level of intensity for an AFL match, they cannot win because they're not a system side, they have no fallback defensive system to absorb opposition pressure, and they can't play different tempos.

The reason they can't dop at all is because they have to be a lot better than an opponent around the ball to overcome secondary clearance pressure / turning the disposal from a clearance over. Their ability to play this style of football is what makes them so dangerous in September which, with the pre-finals bye, is now tailored for a side like the Dogs for a massive effort over 1 month. Problem there is that 4 games still looks like it is 1 too many given the belting Melbourne dished out in the 2021 GF. Then you look at the reality that he has never had the Dogs qualify in the top 4 - that is directly linked to their inability to play at tempo and absorb an opponent's attacks when they are, inevitably, down once every 5 to 6 weeks. That automatically adds losses to the baseline of losing matches to really good sides.

There have been many different assistants over the run. He has fallen out with a football director and, from memory, a CEO. His win-loss record is appalling given the talent he has had at his disposal. He is the only real constant during the whole time this scenario has played out.

The real measure of Bevo's worth is not that he has made 2 GF, it's how that would compare to a coach like Chris Scott who is Bevo's anthesis. How many top 4 finishes, GFs appearances and flags would the Dogs have if they had a system based coach?

Unpopular opinion but there is this bloke called Aaron Naughton who could be one of the best defenders in the game who sounds like he could fit the bill your asking for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good competition for spots.

Still few gaps. Lacking small fwd depth, a good key fwd and a match winner or two but good to have some options and be fairly injury free.

Hayes and Reid putting pressure on Laverde.

Caddy to pressure Jones.

Byran as a ruck option.

tsatas/shiel/setterfielf - mids.

2s might still be losing but seems we at least have some options to bring in if needed.

Would honestly love to go after Shai Bolton. Would part with a first rounder for him.

Watching zurhaar he looks in need of a change of environment

Getting pretty toxic down at Arden st at the moment. Those entering their prime like LDU/Zurhaar/Larkey would be feeling sick to their stomach right now knowing they may well be stuck for their whole career in a puddle of mediocrity if they don’t jump ship (Zurhaar in particular having painted himself into a huge corner with his comments towards JHF when he leapt off the sinking ship).

Unpopular opinion but there is this bloke called Aaron Naughton who could be one of the best defenders in the game who sounds like he could fit the bill your asking for
You mean the top 10 key forward in the game Aaron Naughton, yeah?

Cox and duursma are our best 22 wingman. Heppel and Kelly rotate through there as well.

Martin when ridley returns to swing through hb/wing/hf as needed.

But duursma and cox both have the running capacity, marking capability and willingness to get back we need.

Wing is not a position of need to try to try and find a spot for setterfield

In Yesterdays team setterfield maybe takes hobbs spot.

Think it's good we have duurham, caldwell, setterfield and hobbs as inside mid options.

Striker - stringer, perkins, Martin?
Defensive - caldwell, setterfield, durham
Accumulators- parish, merret, tsatas?, shiel?
Inside - durham, setterfield, hobbs

Wing - Cox, duursma, kelly/heppel?, Martin (I like him at hb now he has improved aerially)

Think what we lack currently is a small fwd/pinch hit mid - picket, Cameron, tippa, Bolton, Rochelle, stengle, papely.

A small speedy fwd who you can put onto the ball for small bursts.

Last edited:
You mean the top 10 key forward in the game Aaron Naughton, yeah?
I dunno how others feel but I can't have Naughton as a top 10 forward with his kicking.
Compounding this they actually have such good alternate options with JUH, Darcy and Lobb on their list.

I reckon they'd get an immediate boost if they shifted Naughton to CHB.

I dunno how others feel but I can't have Naughton as a top 10 forward with his kicking.
Compounding this they actually have such good alternate options with JUH, Darcy and Lobb on their list.

I reckon they'd get an immediate boost if they shifted Naughton to CHB.
I don't know how people don't have him in their top 10 key forwards. His hands, his ability to bring other forwards into play are elite, let alone the fact he's a consistent 40+ goal a year player.

He's significantly better than all three right now. JUH might pass him in the next few years but Naughton is a star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back