AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol erin is a proud cow now ****off
She'll still be supporting Port in the real stuff there's no doubt of that, but congratulations to her and the crows women's team. Erin was phenomenal. Clearly just a class above everyone out there. I'm sure it burns deep in her guts that she never got to experience this as a Port Adelaide player, but you know what you can't deny her the chance to just have a crack at AFL no matter who the team was.

State of Origin is dead for the blokes but the last 8 weeks has shown it should be a priority for the AFL for the women and a carnival mid season will be another boost for the women's game

Congratulations to the SA team, and commiserations and well done Brisbane, by all accounts they held on as grimly as they could.

Nice to read in the Sydney Sun-Herald: "Saturday's win also means Phillips joins her father Greg as a premiership winner" ...with no explanations or qualifications deemed necessary. You all know who Port Adelaide is, right, even here in the Harbour city? ;)

Meanwhile all the Fertilizer can do is claim Erin as a Cows person...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crers fans thinking we're upset about Erin playing for the Crers and it's some sort of victory for them over us.

We'd only be upset if she were playing against Port, and going by her vox pop on AFL 360, she still loves the club, I think we're all proud of what she's achieved and accomplished

Crers fans thinking we're upset about Erin playing for the Crers and it's some sort of victory for them over us.

We'd only be upset if she were playing against Port, and going by her vox pop on AFL 360, she still loves the club, I think we're all proud of what she's achieved and accomplished
It's actually the other way, they feel that their win is Port tainted and are over compensating. They had her for one reason only, that by taking the state colours etc. they were always the most likely to be the ONE SA team (there was never going to be two).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 games of footy doesn't change a lifetime of growing up at the terraces of Alberton.

Like all of us, I would have loved to see Erin fulfil her lifetime dream of representing the Pafc in competition. It wasn't possible but she represented her club in the way you would expect from a Port person, gave 100% to their cause. From this point of view, Erin did the PAFC proud.

If she had a choice, we know where she would be.

Also, how wonderful to see her father donning his daughters colours, the family way, the Port Adelaide way. No hatred, no pouting, no vitriol. Just devotion to his daughter.

We all know how a franchise father behaves when his children represent a different club....... this father represents the vitriol, hatred and disgust born from forever knowing that your opportunity to coach in the biggest competition stemmed from the ambition of your enemy.

So in less than a week Erin Phillips wins the equivalent of the Norm Smith, the Brownlow and the Leigh Matthews MVP award and a premiership medal. Not a bad week, or 8 weeks. And she told that dopey reporter the truth about how she might be good but isn't good enough to play against men.

It's a bit tough to see her doing it all in crows colours but its great for her. I remember seeing her at the GDV early last year in her Port gear and thinking well if she can't play for a Port team in 2017 I hope she gets a gig and does well. The crows were expected to be one of the bottom 2 teams but that was because most of the critics didn't know how good Phillips was and I had no idea how good Chelsea Randall was. I don't know if it makes up on not making the London Olympics squad and bombing out in Rio when the Opals were expected to make the gold medal match but finished 5th but the little girl of one of our greatest, who was denied the opportunity to continue with her first sporting love at 13, finally got to fulfil her dreams. Just wish it had been for the same club as her dad not the other one in the same state.

It grated a bit to see her go to the Crows but you can't really blame her. She even said that she was very grateful that the women's league was brought forward which enabled her to participate.

I didn't get to watch much of the series, just catching snippets here and there, but watched a chunk of the GF. She was easily the best player out there. All it would take is for each team to develop one or two players of a similar calibre and the overall standard would increase dramatically. Not going to happen overnight but Erin has shown young girls what's possible. She's a champion no matter who she plays for.

My personal outlook on this is that, in this inaugural season, club loyalties are secondary to seeing a successful completion of the season and glad to see Erin get her just rewards.

Tin foil hat time:
There is an eeensy-tiny bit of cynicism in me that sees the result as possibly being manufactured by the AFL though. The one region they need to get a bigger talent pool developed quickly for this to succeed is SA. Something about the result on Saturday felt pre-ordained. Crazy theory? Probably. Would the AFL do it? Definitely.

Tin foil hat time:
There is an eeensy-tiny bit of cynicism in me that sees the result as possibly being manufactured by the AFL though. The one region they need to get a bigger talent pool developed quickly for this to succeed is SA. Something about the result on Saturday felt pre-ordained. Crazy theory? Probably. Would the AFL do it? Definitely.

Two shocking HTB's missed in the last 30 seconds (including one against Erin just before the siren).

I can't believe how many ignorant campaigners are bothered by this picture on Facebook....

496620.jpg

then again, it is Facebook, so I really shouldn't be surprised.

Can't really understand the hype around this women's footy thing, maybe next year they can play a full season but at half time of the seniors with goal posts across the ground to make scoring a little easier.

I'm proud of Erin as a good Port girl.

Port players have always strived to be the best and compete against the best.

I have no more hate for her playing in the AFLW than I do for Russell or Greg going to the VFL.

And if she gets a chance to come back and win flags for Port like they did, all the better

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't really understand the hype around this women's footy thing, maybe next year they can play a full season but at half time of the seniors with goal posts across the ground to make scoring a little easier.

IMG_3207.JPG

I remember Erin parked on her dad's shoulders as a bub back in that photo in '88 or '89 or so and a lot later running around in Slowdowns for Port looking every bloody part the footballer before her insurance company (probably) said "stop it!".

Well done kid. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's actually the other way, they feel that their win is Port tainted and are over compensating. They had her for one reason only, that by taking the state colours etc. they were always the most likely to be the ONE SA team (there was never going to be two).

Much like pretty much all of the Crows' good ideas (including the idea of even playing in the AFL at all), they copied the idea of recruiting Erin off of Port. At least this time they executed our idea properly for a change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back